Fresh off UM visit, STA 4-star LB Betty details where he is in the process

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Rising junior 4-star LB Devon Betty is already a big-time national prospect, with early scholarships from Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Georgia, LSU, and Texas to name a few. Already considered one of the class of 2020’s top 60 players, the St. Thomas Aquinas Raider remembers down to the day he landed his offer from Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes.

“I got the offer back on January 29th, so I’ve had it for a couple months now,” Betty said on his UM offer. “Coach Diaz came to the school and called me out of class, he pretty much offered me on-site.”

Betty and Diaz have begun to build a relationship that the Canes’ staff hopes will culminate in a commitment from the 6’1” 197 pounder. Diaz sees Betty as a rush linebacker in his scheme.

“He’s a good defensive coach,” Betty said of Diaz. “I talk to him at camps or when he comes to the school.”

One of his opportunities to speak with Diaz came just last weekend, as Betty joined St. Thomas’ 7-on-7 team at Greentree to take part in UM’s tournament on campus.

“It was good. Just love from everywhere,” Betty said on his UM visit. “The coaches, the athletes, the trainers, it’s all love there. It’s home really.”

By the end of the tournament, two of Restrepo’s STA teammates landed UM offers in WR Marcus Rosemy and LB Derek Wingo. In fact, Betty and Wingo have the potential to form an extremely dangerous duo on defense for opposing offenses in 2018.

“No doubt in my mind, Marcus and Wingo deserve it,” Betty said.

So, just how high is Betty’s interest in his hometown Hurricanes?

“On a scale of 1-10, I’d say like an 8.5 or 9. Miami’s home,” Betty said. “If you just look further back, go back in the day, and see how many athletes they’ve put in the NFL... Miami’s had a good program for decades now.”

In terms of visit plans, Betty doesn’t have any current trips set in stone, there are a certain three schools he’d like to visit besides the Canes.

“I don’t have any visits planned right now, but I want to see Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Georgia,” Betty said. “Other than Miami, those are the colleges I really want to see right now.”

As a rising junior that’s almost 2 years from his signing day, it’s a little early for Betty, who transferred to STA from Miramar, to begin narrowing things down and he’d like to keep his options open for now. However, he says a decision won’t be prolonged through his senior year.

“I’m still thinking, you know, I’m only a sophomore,” Betty said. “I would expect, once I look more into it like in my junior year, I’ll start figuring more out, but the recruiting process has been good. I’m just keeping the recruiting process open. I would say after my junior season, I will be committing.”

When it comes time to announce a commitment, Betty knows exactly what he’s looking for in his school of choice. The academics and the tradition that comes along with the football program will be big factors in his ultimate decision.

“The education. I’d say education means a lot to me,” Betty said. “And just the program, the background of it. The quality of the background of a school.”

Advertisement
049640c11ad162d36ac581b14e87caf5.jpg

Advertisement
The world of college football will be in trouble when The U becomes the favorite again for SoFL top prospects. When these local Cane players become winners and celebrities, we'll see more top SoFL talent commit.

The CFB world knows that too!! Give CMR another year of winnings (ACC championship and playoff contender)---SoFla recruits will be star struck when they come to Coral Gables!! I say it will start with the 2020' class..

Advertisement
So STA's defense this year potentially includes:

DL - Ingraham
DL - Munoz
LB - Brown
LB- Solomon
LB - Huff
LB - Betty
LB - Wingo
DB - Restrepo
DB - Davis
DB - Battle

2 years from now those guys might all be starting at Power 5 schools. If they don't win states this year it has to go down as the most massive choke job in history.

That is a great question...and who is the LB coach there?

Don't know who the coach is..but they have about 5-6 div 1 linebackers. I stated that earlier in the spring. A lot of them are transfer kids like Betty though...not like they are flat out developing them. Jahmar Brown (Pace) Betty (Miramar) Huff (Mcarthur), Solomon is a Harriot Sta kid as well as Wingo I believe.

DL - Ingraham
DL - Munoz
LB - Brown
LB- Solomon
LB - Huff
LB - Betty
LB - Wingo
DB - Restrepo
DB - Davis
DB - Battle

2 years from now those guys might all be starting at Power 5 schools. If they don't win states this year it has to go down as the most massive choke job in history.

On the DL they have Underclassmen- Tyreke Sapp and Tyrique Owens as well two sophomores that are both 6'1 250 plus at de.. Restrepo doesn't play defense. They have Semar Melvin at cb another div 1 kid.

Advertisement
Don't know who the coach is..but they have about 5-6 div 1 linebackers. I stated that earlier in the spring. A lot of them are transfer kids like Betty though...not like they are flat out developing them. Jahmar Brown (Pace) Betty (Miramar) Huff (Mcarthur), Solomon is a Harriot Sta kid as well as Wingo I believe.
Wingo is originally from Naples, he went to Gulf Coast before moving to Broward. Sol & Jaden Davis are 2 of the rare STA originals lol. Marcus Rosemy is a too, but he's from Pompano & should really be at Ely or Coco Creek lol

DL - Ingraham
DL - Munoz
LB - Brown
LB- Solomon
LB - Huff
LB - Betty
LB - Wingo
DB - Restrepo
DB - Davis
DB - Battle

With that amount of defensive talent, STA has to run the table!!

On the DL they have Underclassmen- Tyreke Sapp and Tyrique Owens as well two sophomores that are both 6'1 250 plus at de.. Restrepo doesn't play defense. They have Semar Melvin at cb another div 1 kid.

And Bell at CB too...And had Lafrance who has since transferred to Deerfield correct?

Advertisement
And Bell at CB too...And had Lafrance who has since transferred to Deerfield correct?
I want Bell over Good Kids about 6'1 an has great technique and is rangy as **** think under developed TC, watch his Hudl of this year's spring practice game and sophomore year an I don't know why we ain't on Ace Melvin kids a 6ft 4 star from STA, I bet these two are the reason we see Davis in the nickle all year

Advertisement
Back