Frenk's impact on athletics article

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Thought it was pretty good, gives me hope that he will hire an AD and stay out the **** way. Opposite attitude of what Shalala had when she came in

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...s-it-mean-for-al-golden-hurricanes-athletics/

In the months before formally succeeds Donna Shalala on Sept. 1, Frenk will formulate his plan for the future of UM athletics, its personnel and the resources the program needs. However, as one trustee colorfully put it: “He’s not going to be a guy who comes in and says, ‘That guy sucks, we’re getting rid of him.’” Unlike Shalala, who nearly installed close friend Barry Alvarez as football coach when she arrived at UM in 2001, Frenk isn’t not sports-oriented enough to make those calls.

Everybody has their own approach,” said Richard Fain “One of the things I think is very good is he didn’t come in thinking he had all the answers. He has a little time to learn, to talk to people. His track record shows he’s a pretty quick learner and a pretty aggressive implementer.”

Longtime UM trustee Paul DiMare, who has been a key figure in past coaching searches, said he wants to further impress that upon him.

“I think this person has a very open mind,” DiMare said. “I’d say we need to educate him how important sports are not only to the university but to the community. What people don’t realize is: it’s great to have a great football team and baseball team and everything else not only for the university, but for people who cheer for them in this area. This brings a community together. It’s had that great reputation over the years whether it’s football or baseball, even basketball, what we’ve been able to do in basketball the last few years. We’ve got to keep that going.

Wonder what part of the administration DiMare is talking about...

Advertisement
One question, can we trade Royal Caribbean for Carnival? I think I prefer Arison to our boy. Micky doesn't own a football team so maybe he would take a stronger interest it ours. Plus, how does "Carnival's Orange Bowl" sound.

Advertisement
"Pretty aggressive implementer" seems like a good sign

However, as one trustee colorfully put it: “He’s not going to be a guy who comes in and says, ‘That guy sucks, we’re getting rid of him.’".... Frenk isn’t not sports-oriented enough to make those calls.

However, this is not.

what-the-huh-o.gif

Find a great AD.... talk to JJ or Sam and cull a candidate from their recommendations.
reassign Blake,let Golden go... interesting Al released a satement rather than face press ?
great managers hire great people and then manage those people

I get a sense from DiMare's comments that there is an urgency by some of the BOT members to push for more support for athletics. I don't know if they will be able to influence the new president to hand the keys over to the athletic department but I think there will be a concerted effort to right the athletics ship. Whether it works or not we won't really know until the football season plays out and decisions are made.

Im not holding my breath but might as well wait and see what happens.

Advertisement
All this guy has to do is watch "The U," and then watch "The U, Part 2," and he'll know - who to get as Head Coach.

I get a sense from DiMare's comments that there is an urgency by some of the BOT members to push for more support for athletics. I don't know if they will be able to influence the new president to hand the keys over to the athletic department but I think there will be a concerted effort to right the athletics ship. Whether it works or not we won't really know until the football season plays out and decisions are made.

DiMare vs Fain

I interpreted that the same way, though I'm hoping that I'm not just deluding myself.

I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Nobody can be worse than Shalala. That creature was a disgrace to our program.

Advertisement
Frenk and other BOT members have to see how important athletics are in the collegiate landscape, especially the bottom line. The revenue that football and basketball can bring in when the team is up, on top of shared ACC revenue, cannot be understated. We have the ability, especially with our new Adidas deal, to really get a nice cut of that money. We have a tremendous brand to leverage if we can get the leadership that the U will sell more with a team that wins. Gotta spend some money to make money.

Good athletic programs have presidents who hire solid AD's and get the **** out of the way. **** Shalala and showing up on recruit visits.

Advertisement
Fact: Miami became the U when Howard took over the football program. Enrollment increased and so did tuition cost.

When atheltics are good, so is the revenue. They go hand and hand. Miami needs to realize that they need sports, in particular football, to be a staple of the community. TV revenue, tuition, merchandise sales, donations, bowl game revenue, conference revenue will all increase IF we get back to being the U, and that's not going to happen until we have a strong AD.

I think this person has a very open mind,” DiMare said. “I’d say we need to educate him how important sports are not only to the university but to the community. What people don’t realize is: it’s great to have a great football team and baseball team and everything else not only for the university, but for people who cheer for them in this area. This brings a community together. It’s had that great reputation over the years whether it’s football or baseball, even basketball, what we’ve been able to do in basketball the last few years. We’ve got to keep that going.

DiMare maybe the most influential Trustee. Don't discount this statement. He clearly recognizes the importance of successful sports programs to The U and the community. If DiMare's statement is a glimpse, then I'm confident they are ready to formalize a strategy with Frenk to make sports a priority "too".

Dimare was responsible for hiring Golden.

Anyone who has faith in that ******* is a *******.

I'm taking an "I'll believe it when I see it approach". My balls have been busted too many times by these douchebags.

Advertisement
Back