Fraschilla Twitter Quote

hotshot

Sophomore
Wave of the future?? With the "new" options out there for HS (or even younger) kids.

Fraschilla says "One Top 40 program coach told me last week that they will no longer recruit HS players but will live in the Transfer Portal. 'We're like the NBA. We can build through free agency or through the draft. We'll take the surer thing."

Sounds a bit like something I heard Musselman at Ark saying. "Top 40 program" excludes L having said it I guess.

Advertisement
For a college coach to say he isn't recruiting high school prospects because a select few rather play for money than to go to college is asinine. The coach who said that should be fired for incompetence.

For a college coach to say he isn't recruiting high school prospects because a select few rather play for money than to go to college is asinine. The coach who said that should be fired for incompetence.
I read it more like "I'd rather recruit from the Transfer Portal and JuCos" because they are more of a known quantity than HS kids are. Think he's also saying there will be fewer top HS prospects out there in the future to choose from. Believe Georgia next season will be going with like 6 kids from the Portal, several JuCos, etc (almost a 90% restock of the roster in one year)

I read it more like "I'd rather recruit from the Transfer Portal and JuCos" because they are more of a known quantity than HS kids are. Think he's also saying there will be fewer top HS prospects out there in the future to choose from. Believe Georgia next season will be going with like 6 kids from the Portal, several JuCos, etc (almost a 90% restock of the roster in one year)
I read it word for word, verbatim... "they will no longer recruit HS players"! Moronic and blasphemous for a college coach to think and say this.

Also, this coach should keep in mind that the G-League and Overtime League will probably only be taking the very top kids. Like the top 20. There's still plenty of talent left to recruit.

Advertisement
I read it word for word, verbatim... "they will no longer recruit HS players"! Moronic and blasphemous for a college coach to think and say this.

Also, this coach should keep in mind that the G-League and Overtime League will probably only be taking the very top kids. Like the top 20. There's still plenty of talent left to recruit.
I agree and think the G League and O'time Leagues will unintentionally benefit programs like UM, i.e., those not considered the blue blood schools of the sport.

What the coach is saying is that he cannot and has no interest in player development.
He can simple get paid by taking transfers and eating ice out of a cup on the sidelines while kids run up and down the court for 40 minutes.

think your right :
Portal
Juco
Prep
then HS : I think the one and done has run it's course: both Duke and Kentucky took it on the chin last year : also the NCAA show that mid majors with actual physically mature kids can take you just as far as these immature High Schoolers

Advertisement
What the coach is saying is that he cannot and has no interest in player development.
He can simple get paid by taking transfers and eating ice out of a cup on the sidelines while kids run up and down the court for 40 minutes.
the problem is these kids spent their whole time playing AAU, bouncing from team to team, and never working on their games. You watch highlights from an AAU tournaments, the teams are physically over match, no one plays defense, and its a walk fest of dunks : your better off recruiting from a lower power conference kids that actually have a game

the problem is these kids spent their whole time playing AAU, bouncing from team to team, and never working on their games. You watch highlights from an AAU tournaments, the teams are physically over match, no one plays defense, and its a walk fest of dunks : your better off recruiting from a lower power conference kids that actually have a game
I couldn't disagree more with you here. I'm sure there are instances where kids are "bouncing from team to team" but to discard high school recruiting in general because a select few decide not go the college route would be a huge mistake for any college program. At the end of the day, prep players will still play a vital role in the growth of the college game. The way I see it most players in the transfer portal aren't transferring because they're good or are leaving a good situation, they're transferring because for one reason or another things didn't work out for them with the previous school and they're seeking a better alternative. Could be playing time. Could be homesick. It could be for an array of other reasons. Again, I'm not against plucking a quality player or two from the portal, but disregard HS recruits altogether would be dumb for any college coach to do.

I interpret it a little different. CBB is quickly turning into 1-and-done for everybody. If half of your hs recruits (or whatever the number grows to) are inevitably going to transfer after 1 season, it doesn't make sense to spend the time recruiting and developing players who will very likely max out at a different school. If long term player development is headed for extinction, you might as well rely on the portal, and put together a new team of developed veterans every season.

As a fan, I think portal hoops is unappealing, but that's what it is now.

Advertisement
I couldn't disagree more with you here. I'm sure there are instances where kids are "bouncing from team to team" but to discard high school recruiting in general because a select few decide not go the college route would be a huge mistake for any college program. At the end of the day, prep players will still play a vital role in the growth of the college game. The way I see it most players in the transfer portal aren't transferring because they're good or are leaving a good situation, they're transferring because for one reason or another things didn't work out for them with the previous school and they're seeking a better alternative. Could be playing time. Could be homesick. It could be for an array of other reasons. Again, I'm not against plucking a quality player or two from the portal, but disregard HS recruits altogether would be dumb for any college coach to do.
You may be right, from what I been hearing from coaches is that most High Schoolers are not even sniffing D-1 offers : most coaches are looking at Portal , JUCO, Prep, and finally High School right or wrong

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back