Off-Topic Fox body mustang

Advertisement
Check front strut supports for rust. They are notorious. Look for signs of being painted over.

Thinking of getting a 1989 5.0 this weekend. Anyone have opinions good or bad.
I drove an 89 5.0 LX to school my entire college career. I currently have a 90 5.0 LX.

First, where in the country are you?
Second, check the strut towers as @SgtBone suggests along with the frame rails in the engine compartment. There is usually a little minor rust under the battery tray,but rot sets in easily with cars this age.
Third, AC and heater working. If there's a heater bypass, it's because the heater core leaks, same with AC. It never "just needs a charge."
Fourth, Google how to check if the odometer has rolled over. A car with < 100k miles is getting harder to find.
Fifth, hatchback, convertible, or coupe?

I drove an 89 5.0 LX to school my entire college career. I currently have a 90 5.0 LX.

First, where in the country are you?
Second, check the strut towers as @SgtBone suggests along with the frame rails in the engine compartment. There is usually a little minor rust under the battery tray,but rot sets in easily with cars this age.
Third, AC and heater working. If there's a heater bypass, it's because the heater core leaks, same with AC. It never "just needs a charge."
Fourth, Google how to check if the odometer has rolled over. A car with < 100k miles is getting harder to find.
Fifth, hatchback, convertible, or coupe?
Can I DM you the Facebook marketplace link? Going to look at it Saturday.

Advertisement
1713488885390.gif

I’m not a fan of the 1989 body style.

A neighbor of mine has a 1969 Shelby, all original, with only 20k miles. Her husband was a Mustang collector.
$$$$ I know a guy in Miami who restored a 69 GT350H Hertz car. I had a 70 Mach 1 for a while. Put a lot of work in and sold it before it was 100% I loved/hated that car, mostly hated.

Advertisement
$$$$ I know a guy in Miami who restored a 69 GT350H Hertz car. I had a 70 Mach 1 for a while. Put a lot of work in and sold it before it was 100% I loved/hated that car, mostly hated.
I bought a 21’ Mach 1 when they first came out but got sick of the $800 car payment and I was averaging like 14mpg 😂.

5B2F34DE-C23C-47ED-9E6D-E6E750289F76.jpeg

I had an 89’ notchback Foxbody back in the day which is my personal preference if you’re going to get one. There’s still one car on my bucket list I plan on getting someday…an 03’-04’ Terminator Cobra.

I bought a 21’ Mach 1 when they first came out but got sick of the $800 car payment and I was averaging like 14mpg 😂.

View attachment 287877

I had an 89’ notchback Foxbody back in the day which is my personal preference if you’re going to get one. There’s still one car on my bucket list I plan on getting someday…an 03’-04’ Terminator Cobra.
****, how did you get the MPG that low? My 17 GT with 3.55 gears gets 19 and my daughter is getting 21 now driving it mostly highway.

View attachment 287877

If you were averaging 14MPG that engine was WAY out of tune. I had a 289 FIA Cobra built for me by ERA Replica Cars in New Britain CT. They installed a 331 stroker (446 HP @ 6000rpm) with a single 4 Bbl carb. that I had built by Keith Craft Racing. When the car was delivered to me in Coral Gables ... I went through a 20 gal tank of gas in like 100 miles. Took it to a chassis dyno tuning shop in FTL ... the mechanic laughed when he put a timing light on it. The timing was so off it was a miracle it ran. He did a quick timing adjustment and voila ... ran like a charm ... put on the dyno tuner and it produced 446 hp right where it was supposed to, and I got 21 MPG driving on the highway.
ERA FIA 5 2015.jpg

Advertisement
If you were averaging 14MPG that engine was WAY out of tune. I had a 289 FIA Cobra built for me by ERA Replica Cars in New Britain CT. They installed a 331 stroker (446 HP @ 6000rpm) with a single 4 Bbl carb. that I had built by Keith Craft Racing. When the car was delivered to me in Coral Gables ... I went through a 20 gal tank of gas in like 100 miles. Took it to a chassis dyno tuning shop in FTL ... the mechanic laughed when he put a timing light on it. The timing was so off it was a miracle it ran. He did a quick timing adjustment and voila ... ran like a charm ... put on the dyno tuner and it produced 446 hp right where it was supposed to, and I got 21 MPG driving on the highway.View attachment 287892
I talked to several other owners of the new Mach 1 and they all had the same issue…averaged in the 15-17 mpg range. I had 305’s in the rear and these new Mustangs, Camaros, Hellcats, etc. are extremely heavy…almost 4000 lbs. Those numbers are pretty common for muscle cars these days.

I didn't get it. It was perfect, the car. But he said he forgot the title at the last minute. Tried showing me a picture of it on his phone. My search continues.

Advertisement
Back