Four-star DE Parks commits to Tide as grayshirt

I guess it makes sense, if you don't have any other offers and you believe there is no money involved

Looking at his offer sheet on ESPN I count close to 20 offers from almost every major program. In fact, the kid shows an offer from STANFORD! It's better to take a class or two and work with a trainer vs going to Stanford?! On the face of it it doesn't make ANY sense.

Sure smells fishy

Advertisement
Josh Kerr from Ohio signed as a grayshirt, only one I remember

Yes, there was a specific reason why I phrased my response the way that I did. And that's because Josh Kerr never actually enrolled at Miami. It's like all the times Insane Cane has been in a threesome with two women...it has to be more than just a fantasy, it actually has to happen if you can talk about it factually.

The truth is that Miami was never able to pull off an ACTUAL grayshirt. And people on this thread don't even seem to know what it is. A true grayshirt is when a player voluntarily chooses to wait until January of the next year to enroll. In the meantime, they do NOT enroll in school, as that would actually start the clock on playing eligibility (ask Dan Sileo how it works). In the alternative, if a player enrolls and pays his own way then he loses a full year of eligibility, but it is very difficult to do this out-of-state because a player will have to pay out-of-state tuition which is almost like paying private school tuition. The only time this ever seems to work is when a kid grayshirts at a in-state school and enrolls for the fall semester, thus not having to pay a huge tuition bill.

More importantly, the player DOES NOT sign an LoI on NSD, since that would constitute a CONTRACT to provide financial aid and food/housing to a player. The reason a grayshirt is so rare is that very few players ever choose to stick it out.

And you want to know why? Yeah, here's a link to a wonderful story about Uncle Larry Coker, who actually screwed over Josh Kerr and pulled his scholarship after the kid had agreed to grayshirt, so Kerr ended up going to Ohio Taint.

Kerr joined Buckeyes after being spurned by Miami | The Lantern

We have to be honest here...has ANYONE ever heard of a RIVALS 250 player agreeing to grayshirt? And no matter how many "Eiffel Tower" videos that Parks makes or posts, he's going to have to wait 11 months TO ENROLL. That means he has to sit around with his parents for the next 11 months without even a guarantee that Saban will ever send him an actual LoI.

Plenty of time to talk to this kid, get him to visit, convince him that Alabama is not the only team capable of making the Final Four, let alone winning it.

Time to let this kid wrestle with his ego and get him to realize that Alabama doesn't love him as much as he loves Alabama.

Last edited:

Yes, there was a specific reason why I phrased my response the way that I did. And that's because Josh Kerr never actually enrolled at Miami. It's like all the times Insane Cane has been in a threesome with two women...it has to be more than just a fantasy, it actually has to happen if you can talk about it factually.

The truth is that Miami was never able to pull off an ACTUAL grayshirt. And people on this thread don't even seem to know what it is. A true grayshirt is when a player voluntarily chooses to wait until January of the next year to enroll. In the meantime, they do NOT enroll in school, as that would actually start the clock on playing eligibility (ask Dan Sileo how it works). More importantly, the player DOES NOT sign an LoI, since that would constitute a CONTRACT to provide financial aid and food/housing to a player. The reason a grayshirt is so rare is that very few players ever choose to stick it out.

And you want to know why? Yeah, here's a link to a wonderful story about Uncle Larry Coker, who actually screwed over Josh Kerr and pulled his scholarship after the kid had agreed to grayshirt, so Kerr ended up going to Ohio Taint.

We have to be honest here...has ANYONE ever heard of a RIVALS 250 player agreeing to grayshirt? And no matter how many "Eiffel Tower" videos that Parks makes or posts, he's going to have to wait 11 months TO ENROLL. That means he has to sit around with his parents for the next 11 months without even a guarantee that Saban will ever send him an actual LoI.

Plenty of time to talk to this kid, get him to visit, convince him that Alabama is not the only team capable of making the Final Four, let alone winning it.

Time to let this kid wrestle with his ego and get him to realize that Alabama doesn't love him as much as he loves Alabama.

Actually, gray shirts are allowed to enroll part time on their own dime and they can enroll in January as part of the next recruiting cycle.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/1/28/10842688/ncaa-football-grayshirt-blueshirt-redshirt-rules

Advertisement
I have come to two realizations:

First, if these kids didn't have athletic talent, they would be completely worthless human beings and I wouldn't even **** in their direction

Second, Miami is apparently no longer a cool place for kids to be. Richt recruited better at Georgia than he has here, and that says a lot.

Dude is willing to jeopardize his football career to be a front runner. Can't make this up.

I mean it's the same with Jeudy and Smith.

Jeudy stressed relationships, only to see the OC and the WR Coach both leave before he stepped on campus. He'd rather sit on the bench that put on for his city.

Smith told me everything I needed to know about him at that All Star game where he got punked into the benches by an angry DB. He didn't fight back at all. Then he disrespected Richt by not even bothering to come on an OV.

Both charmin' soft front runners.

I agree... dont see either of those guys as tough ask bama receivers.

Does he get the bag now, though? Or does he have to wait until next recruiting cycle for the bag? It really effects the business decision...

Advertisement

The truth is that Miami was never able to pull off an ACTUAL grayshirt. And people on this thread don't even seem to know what it is. A true grayshirt is when a player voluntarily chooses to wait until January of the next year to enroll. In the meantime, they do NOT enroll in school, as that would actually start the clock on playing eligibility (ask Dan Sileo how it works). More importantly, the player DOES NOT sign an LoI, since that would constitute a CONTRACT to provide financial aid and food/housing to a player. The reason a grayshirt is so rare is that very few players ever choose to stick it out.

Actually, gray shirts are allowed to enroll part time on their own dime and they can enroll in January as part of the next recruiting cycle.

What are the differences between redshirting, grayshirting, blueshirting and greenshirting in college football? - SBNation.com

Yeah, I edited my original post. What I was trying to say was that grayshirting was originally a deferral of enrollment. The player did not actually enroll. That's what happened with Josh Kerr. Later on, some schools encouraged kids to enroll at the normal time. But the fact remains, the LoI is not something that can be selectively applied, a kid can't sign an LoI and amend it to only apply for half a year. So Parks can choose to do what he wants, but I'm fairly certain that he can't sign an actual binding LoI at Alabama until (a) a scholarship opens, or (b) he is ready to enroll and join the team in January (i.e., he could sign an LoI in December 2017).

Also, my comments about tuition are accurate. Parks is a Florida resident, he would have to pay out-of-state tuition at Alabama. And most kids (and their families) can't afford to do so.

I guess it makes sense, if you don't have any other offers and you believe there is no money involved

Looking at his offer sheet on ESPN I count close to 20 offers from almost every major program. In fact, the kid shows an offer from STANFORD! It's better to take a class or two and work with a trainer vs going to Stanford?! On the face of it it doesn't make ANY sense.

Sure smells fishy
And he still had 3 visits that he could've used lol. Dude was so desperate

Yeah, I edited my original post. What I was trying to say was that grayshirting was originally a deferral of enrollment. The player did not actually enroll. That's what happened with Josh Kerr. Later on, some schools encouraged kids to enroll at the normal time. But the fact remains, the LoI is not something that can be selectively applied, a kid can't sign an LoI and amend it to only apply for half a year. So Parks can choose to do what he wants, but I'm fairly certain that he can't sign an actual binding LoI at Alabama until (a) a scholarship opens, or (b) he is ready to enroll and join the team in January (i.e., he could sign an LoI in December 2017).

Also, my comments about tuition are accurate. Parks is a Florida resident, he would have to pay out-of-state tuition at Alabama. And most kids (and their families) can't afford to do so.

Oh I agree, it's a definitely a risk in that the school isn't bound to you at all and can change their mind. But it's far less likely with a highly rated 4 star player than a borderline recruit. Of course, a spot could open up before fall camp or he can change his mind at any time as well and enroll anywhere else. Wouldn't be the first time Alabama found room with an unexpected transfer before fall camp.

Let's be honest. Besides the fact he'll get some financial aid and can just pay per credit at a community college, he won't be paying for college anyway. He'll manage to land a nice "job" from "friends", that'll magically be enough money to pay for his school, books, car, personal trainer, gym membrship and maybe even an apartment if he decides to enroll in an Alabama community college.

Advertisement

Oh I agree, it's a definitely a risk in that the school isn't bound to you at all and can change their mind. But it's far less likely with a highly rated 4 star player than a borderline recruit. Of course, a spot could open up before fall camp or he can change his mind at any time as well and enroll anywhere else. Wouldn't be the first time Alabama found room with an unexpected transfer before fall camp.

Let's be honest. Besides the fact he'll get some financial aid and can just pay per credit at a community college, he won't be paying for college anyway. He'll manage to land a nice "job" from "friends", that'll magically be enough money to pay for his school, books, car, personal trainer, gym membrship and maybe even an apartment if he decides to enroll in an Alabama community college.

You're right about it being "less likely" with a Rivals 250 kid. But at the same time, it's ALABAMA. It's SABAN. What's to stop them from getting a couple of 5-star guys next year?

I just think it is beyond insane for a Rivals 250 kid to bypass a year of training, nutrition, etc. He can't use football facilities, train, eat, workout, learn plays, and practice with the team. A lot of these kids really need the structure and resources of a college to begin improving from their HS level.

It's an incredibly risky proposition. How many NFL stars were the product of grayshirting? It's a 6-9 month detour away from football at a crucial time in a player's development, and if the kid had any perspective at all, he wouldn't do it just to hang with "the savages" at Alabama.

You know what's actually more common than a kid grayshirting and then becoming a dominant college and NFL star? A kid like Khalil Mack going to a "somewhat lesser school" and then getting 4 years to play, thus developing in a more patient and productive way than taking a year off, and then waiting a few years to become a starter.

Parks needs to get some perspective, maybe some humiliation, and then a dose of envy. Maybe then he can see that finding a program that will embrace and develop him from Day 1 is more worthwhile than waiting around for Daddy Saban to find him the last seat on the bus.

You're right about it being "less likely" with a Rivals 250 kid. But at the same time, it's ALABAMA. It's SABAN. What's to stop them from getting a couple of 5-star guys next year?

I just think it is beyond insane for a Rivals 250 kid to bypass a year of training, nutrition, etc. He can't use football facilities, train, eat, workout, learn plays, and practice with the team. A lot of these kids really need the structure and resources of a college to begin improving from their HS level.

It's an incredibly risky proposition. How many NFL stars were the product of grayshirting? It's a 6-9 month detour away from football at a crucial time in a player's development, and if the kid had any perspective at all, he wouldn't do it just to hang with "the savages" at Alabama.

You know what's actually more common than a kid grayshirting and then becoming a dominant college and NFL star? A kid like Khalil Mack going to a "somewhat lesser school" and then getting 4 years to play, thus developing in a more patient and productive way than taking a year off, and then waiting a few years to become a starter.

Parks needs to get some perspective, maybe some humiliation, and then a dose of envy. Maybe then he can see that finding a program that will embrace and develop him from Day 1 is more worthwhile than waiting around for Daddy Saban to find him the last seat on the bus.

I feel you. I don't disagree at all, and it seems almost every recruit feels the same way because grayshirting isn't common at all. It's even more rare when you're talking about high rated, top 250-300 ranked recruits. I assume Alabama convinced him that he'd have more than enough "resources" available to help him progress. Whatever. His best interest isn't of my concern or my place to judge.

Advertisement
I thought you were having one over on us. lol

Nah, that’s just a video game screen. Unless the guy that and input that shlt in (dynasty mode?) knows something, that is just somebody playing around.
Got it, I don't play video games so I didn't know the screen. Checked twitter for confirmation and no one was saying anything about it, so thought I would ask. Again thanks.

Advertisement
Back