Former Players Chime in on D'Onofrio

G Reg3rdLeg

Redshirt Freshman
Mark D’Onofrio has become the most scrutinized figure in the UM football program, not unlike other past coordinators here whose units frustrated fans with inconsistent play: from Patrick Nix, to Mark Whipple to Tim Walton, who now runs the St. Louis Rams’ 17th-ranked defense.

So the criticism is predictable. What’s noteworthy is the divergent opinions of D’Onofrio’s work offered by people who have played the game.

Not surprisingly, several UM players have been effusive in their praise of D’Onofrio this week, after his Hurricanes defense was pulverized for 1066 yards the past two games. “He calls great games,” cornerback Tracy Howard said. “Outside people don’t know football.”

Even after leaving the program, former UM cornerback Brandon McGee, now with the Rams, has strongly defended D’Onofrio, saying his system was sound and blaming defensive shortcomings on the players.

Meanwhile, three prominent former Canes defensive players weighed in on D’Onofrio this week, with opinions varying.

Defensively, UM is being “outcoached every week,” former Canes and NFL cornerback Duane Starks ranted on WQAM’s postgame show. “Out-coached! Out-coached! They’re predictable. There’s no disguising…. It’s embarrassing! I would get rid of some people.”

Starks said Virginia Tech “knew we were blitzing the weak-side linebacker. That’s why you saw wide open receivers. FSU did the same thing, put a guy on the right side and dragged him across the field where the blitzing linebacker can’t pick him up. When you have a receiver or running back making the catch with no one around him, that’s when you know you are being outcoached.

“They ran the same predictable things. If I’m the head coach, I’m saying, ‘Let’s switch this up. Let’s surprise somebody. We’re not defending the screen.’ We see it. You see it. Do something about it! I’m ****ed off! We have the talent. If you can’t coach good talent, there’s a problem.”

But that last point is where others would disagree. One standout former UM defensive player said the talent is simply not good enough, especially at linebacker. Remember, five of UM’s front-seven starters were three or two-star recruits. Safety Deon Bush clearly is diminished after offseason groin surgery.

UM hasn’t had a defensive All-American since Brandon Meriweather and Kelly Jennings in 2005.

“I like his scheme, but he doesn’t have the personnel to run it as well as he would like,” said the former Canes standout defensive player who asked that his name not be used because he’s close to the program.

“Linebacker is the biggest problem. Aside from Denzel Perryman, these guys are not [major BCS program] level. The linebackers have to cover the backs, and the middle is always open. It’s poor coverage. The safeties can’t tackle and they’re out of position. They can’t get away with playing a three-man line against good teams because the line isn’t that good.”

The player said he believes D’Onofrio is generally a good coach but has a few quibbles. He said UM should play more bump-and-run coverage because “that’s the way to re-route the receivers.” He said the defensive line is stunting too much. That’s a maneuver designed to confuse offenses but leaves the defense vulnerable.

He questioned why the defensive ends often switch sides between plays. “Why aren't we set [often enough] before plays? Virginia Tech ran a play on us and we were barely out of the huddle. That's embarrassing.

"They should have put a spy on [Virginia Tech quarterback] Logan Thomas. And we don’t blitz enough. I don’t see delayed blitzes.”

He also said the defense “seems burned out and out of gas…. But you can’t blame the poor tackling on D’Onofrio or [Al] Golden.”

Meanwhile, former UM All-American safety Bennie Blades defended D’Onofrio and blames the players primarily.

“I think D’Onofrio does a decent job,” said Blades, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame who was previously defensively coordinator at Piper High in Broward. “Coach can’t fix the bad tackling. I know we like to blame everything on coaches, but it boils down to the players. What we’re missing is unblockable defensive linemen. We haven't had a Russell Maryland or Cortez Kennedy or Jerome Brown in a few years. I’m not overly impressed with the safety play.

“I want to see a lot more blitzing, but if you don’t have that corner who can play man to man on a consistent basis, you can’t do much blitzing. The players are not maximizing their ability, but you have to put that more on the players. The onus is on them.”

CHATTER

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ches-out-to-fins-fins-heat.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
some of us that dont know football knew this....lots of blame to go around, 30% Coach D 60% players 10% coach Al....for not seeing what is obvious

Last edited:
bout time somebody acknowledges this mess...up next James Coley

he seems to be getting a pass for sure...

last year the offense was scoring on crappy teams still struggled with Good teams...but this year the whole year seems to be a struggle except Sav St, USF and Gt in the 2nd half...

Mark D’Onofrio has become the most scrutinized figure in the UM football program, not unlike other past coordinators here whose units frustrated fans with inconsistent play: from Patrick Nix, to Mark Whipple to Tim Walton, who now runs the St. Louis Rams’ 17th-ranked defense.

So the criticism is predictable. What’s noteworthy is the divergent opinions of D’Onofrio’s work offered by people who have played the game.

Not surprisingly, several UM players have been effusive in their praise of D’Onofrio this week, after his Hurricanes defense was pulverized for 1066 yards the past two games. “He calls great games,” cornerback Tracy Howard said. “Outside people don’t know football.”

Even after leaving the program, former UM cornerback Brandon McGee, now with the Rams, has strongly defended D’Onofrio, saying his system was sound and blaming defensive shortcomings on the players.

Meanwhile, three prominent former Canes defensive players weighed in on D’Onofrio this week, with opinions varying.

Defensively, UM is being “outcoached every week,” former Canes and NFL cornerback Duane Starks ranted on WQAM’s postgame show. “Out-coached! Out-coached! They’re predictable. There’s no disguising…. It’s embarrassing! I would get rid of some people.”

Starks said Virginia Tech “knew we were blitzing the weak-side linebacker. That’s why you saw wide open receivers. FSU did the same thing, put a guy on the right side and dragged him across the field where the blitzing linebacker can’t pick him up. When you have a receiver or running back making the catch with no one around him, that’s when you know you are being outcoached.

“They ran the same predictable things. If I’m the head coach, I’m saying, ‘Let’s switch this up. Let’s surprise somebody. We’re not defending the screen.’ We see it. You see it. Do something about it! I’m ****ed off! We have the talent. If you can’t coach good talent, there’s a problem.”

But that last point is where others would disagree. One standout former UM defensive player said the talent is simply not good enough, especially at linebacker. Remember, five of UM’s front-seven starters were three or two-star recruits. Safety Deon Bush clearly is diminished after offseason groin surgery.

UM hasn’t had a defensive All-American since Brandon Meriweather and Kelly Jennings in 2005.

“I like his scheme, but he doesn’t have the personnel to run it as well as he would like,” said the former Canes standout defensive player who asked that his name not be used because he’s close to the program.

“Linebacker is the biggest problem. Aside from Denzel Perryman, these guys are not [major BCS program] level. The linebackers have to cover the backs, and the middle is always open. It’s poor coverage. The safeties can’t tackle and they’re out of position. They can’t get away with playing a three-man line against good teams because the line isn’t that good.”

The player said he believes D’Onofrio is generally a good coach but has a few quibbles. He said UM should play more bump-and-run coverage because “that’s the way to re-route the receivers.” He said the defensive line is stunting too much. That’s a maneuver designed to confuse offenses but leaves the defense vulnerable.

He questioned why the defensive ends often switch sides between plays. “Why aren't we set [often enough] before plays? Virginia Tech ran a play on us and we were barely out of the huddle. That's embarrassing.

"They should have put a spy on [Virginia Tech quarterback] Logan Thomas. And we don’t blitz enough. I don’t see delayed blitzes.”

He also said the defense “seems burned out and out of gas…. But you can’t blame the poor tackling on D’Onofrio or [Al] Golden.”

Meanwhile, former UM All-American safety Bennie Blades defended D’Onofrio and blames the players primarily.

“I think D’Onofrio does a decent job,” said Blades, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame who was previously defensively coordinator at Piper High in Broward. “Coach can’t fix the bad tackling. I know we like to blame everything on coaches, but it boils down to the players. What we’re missing is unblockable defensive linemen. We haven't had a Russell Maryland or Cortez Kennedy or Jerome Brown in a few years. I’m not overly impressed with the safety play.

“I want to see a lot more blitzing, but if you don’t have that corner who can play man to man on a consistent basis, you can’t do much blitzing. The players are not maximizing their ability, but you have to put that more on the players. The onus is on them.”

CHATTER

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ches-out-to-fins-fins-heat.html#storylink=cpy

agree with much of this...while the argument about the players has some merit...the scheme many times makes no **** sense. The comment about the d ends shifting from one side to the other is one perfect example. I have complained about that particular scheme since Dorito's first yr. Aother is why is shayon standing up and dropping into a zone? dont get me wrong love shayon but that is NOT his game. Coaches aren't able to switch it up, they are vested too much to their particular style/scheme

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
bout time somebody acknowledges this mess...up next James Coley

he seems to be getting a pass for sure...

last year the offense was scoring on crappy teams still struggled with Good teams...but this year the whole year seems to be a struggle except Sav St, USF and Gt in the 2nd half...

Some CiS experts will say that is the defense fault.

Having a great scheme is one thing but not having the horses to be successful in and still running it is **** poor coaching. Adapting to your personnel is the key

Having a great scheme is one thing but not having the horses to be successful in and still running it is **** poor coaching. Adapting to your personnel is the key

That's my biggest problem with this staff. I don't want the staff gone (not even Dorito) but running a scheme that you don't have the players to make it work is moronic. They are basically trying to get plow horses to run the Kentucky derby and then blame the plow horses when the come in last. That's Just Moronic. They have been here for 3 years. We have had the same linebackers for 3 years. So for 3 years they have known that they do not have the right personnel to run their system. But still they do it, and then turn around and blame the kids. I don't want this staff to leave, I just want them to stop being such STUBBORN ASSES.

Bennie Blades said:

Wut? That's actually what coaches are supposed to do.

Advertisement

gators..injuries has killed them this year...still have 4 and 5 star guys filling yet they are getting beat by teams like Vandy...it takes players and players playing as one...

work to be done

Bennie Blades said:

Wut? That's actually what coaches are supposed to do.

Perryman missed a few tackles and one huge one in the VT game...I pick on him due to he is our best player...do you think in this stage in his career that coaching can help him with missed tackles...?? I keep saying DP is our best player but he plays like a freshman at times....

That's my biggest problem with this staff. I don't want the staff gone (not even Dorito) but running a scheme that you don't have the players to make it work is moronic. They are basically trying to get plow horses to run the Kentucky derby and then blame the plow horses when the come in last. That's Just Moronic. They have been here for 3 years. We have had the same linebackers for 3 years. So for 3 years they have known that they do not have the right personnel to run their system. But still they do it, and then turn around and blame the kids. I don't want this staff to leave, I just want them to stop being such STUBBORN ASSES.

I hear you...but some guys are getting it and to change year after year would be worse...recruits see what we are doing and running to play here...something is working?? just not on the field or scoreboard.....but I hear ya..

Advertisement

I hear you...but some guys are getting it and to change year after year would be worse...recruits see what we are doing and running to play here...something is working?? just not on the field or scoreboard.....but I hear ya..

We don't have to change year after year. The current FSU DC put aside his scheme in his first year when he saw it wasn't right for his players. I am sure once he gets his players he will change to what he wants to run. That's only one actual shceme change. Which is better than 3 years of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

"burned out and out of gas" is how I would describe every Cane team in November for 10+ years. For the love of god Swasey has been killing this program forever and somehow he keeps surviving. Al will NEVER beat an elite team with the current joke S and C staff.

Secondly, I HATE the stunts. I'm glad they mentioned that. They are taking already slow guys, asking them to gain weight, and then instead of collapsing the pocket while speedy LBs blitz, they have these slow heavy guys stunt all the time and never come close to creating pressure.

Thirdly our LBs are shamefully bad as a group, and Perryman hasn't gotten any better. He's just slower and stiffer now (our kids aren't able to add strength while maintaining explosiveness, it's one or the other with Swasey)

Our talent sucks in many areas, but it shouldn't be giving up 500+ yards a game in the ACC. That's on the staff, teaching, development, and scheme.

trying to figure out what starks explanation would be for all the losses in his tenure being we had first round talent including himself

Advertisement
no bump and run, players not set switching sides looking at the sidelines while other team is snaping the ball, best dline players only playing on 3rd down, wide open underneath route open all season long so far. thats just not miami football regardless of the talent

Coaches can't fix tackling?

Pure bullsh!t. The #1 way to fix tackling is by putting your players in a better position to make plays.
Playing conservative and on your heels = poor tackling.

Advertisement
Back