Ford takes next step, Ivey battles for starting job

View as article
Lu, I know we lost some good ones in Quan and Red. But just as they stepped up when J Carter and Jenkins turned pro, I think we’ll see a similar smooth transition to A Carter, Hall and Bubba. And all three of those guys are Punishers. They’re going to rip some heads off.

I worry more about our corners, tbh. Bandy’s a stud. But I don’t see Blades or Ivey ready to do what Thriller did for us the past two seasons just yet.

Overall, though, I just don’t see DE, LB or S ... or even CB ... as areas that will prevent us from performing at a high level. IMO, the defense is going to be good. The question of how good will be determined by the level of DT play and their ability to stay healthy. To Twes’ point, if any two of Ford, Silvera, Bethel or the UCLA kid can take that next step and give us Norton/McIntosh, our D is going to be balling.

Advertisement
Doubt we're going to see much improvement in the top defensive metrics.

We were #3 overall in yards per play. That's about as elite as it gets for that statistic.

When you put it in the context of how long teams had the ball against us (#75 in the nation in opponent TOP) and marry that with #4 in the nation in opponents' 3rd down conversions per game (less than 4 a game!) and #1 overall in 3rd down conversion percentage (26.5%), you have tip your cap to Diaz's adjustment in 3rd down calls and Gerald Willis' ability (and a secondary tip of cap to the DEs) to consistently create havoc.

People say we should have been a shutdown defense all year at all times in all scenarios. Fine. We weren't the old canes playing against I-form or pro-style teams that could completely control games with just the defense. Easier said than done in modern football and when you're playing without an offense to help or perhaps the worst special teams I've ever seen.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t disagree what you have said, especially about the 3rd down stuff which was very bad the year before. No doubt that even a half-*** offense would have made a difference and a real ST game could have flipped 3 or 4 games, but so could have more timely turnovers and defensive scores. I’m not saying defense was a problem last year but I want a NC and it is not at that level.

I was disappointed with the DC pick. He might prove to be the next Bill Arnsparger but picking the dude who replace you at Louisiana Tech as DC does not show me that Manny thinks his old defense needs big improvement. I like Manny but sometimes he seems to have that “smartest man in the room” thing about him and that always worries me. I don’t want change in defense, just continued improvement and the clear accpeptance of needing it.

Lu, I don’t follow as much as you do. Did we get a dedicated ST coach? I think we need one. That should be a serious advantage we have over everyone and we suck in all parts of it instead. ST has gotten so bad, I long for Randy some games.

Lu, I know we lost some good ones in Quan and Red. But just as they stepped up when J Carter and Jenkins turned pro, I think we’ll see a similar smooth transition to A Carter, Hall and Bubba. And all three of those guys are Punishers. They’re going to rip some heads off.

I worry more about our corners, tbh. Bandy’s a stud. But I don’t see Blades or Ivey ready to do what Thriller did for us the past two seasons just yet.

Overall, though, I just don’t see DE, LB or S ... or even CB ... as areas that will prevent us from performing at a high level. IMO, the defense is going to be good. The question of how good will be determined by the level of DT play and their ability to stay healthy. To Twes’ point, if any two of Ford, Silvera, Bethel or the UCLA kid can take that next step and give us Norton/McIntosh, our D is going to be balling.

True. I'm not as high on Carter being able to duplicate what Jaquan and Redwine provided. I think he has a role for sure, but a different type of player who'll need to prove he can consistently play in space. He's incredible coming downhill and on blitz packages. Think he'd admit himself there were some ugly examples of tackling/covering in space last year. If he makes a leap, though, we're in very good shape. If he doesn't, it's going to come down to Bolden filling in. We shall see.

As for Corner, we'd likely have a senior Malek Young leading the way if not for the freak injury. With the crop we have, I think we might be fine. Jackson was good, but Ivey and Blades bring similar abilities, if not in different styles.

And, yeah, as I've agreed since the season ended, the defense's total outcome will likely come down to DT leaps.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t disagree what you have said, especially about the 3rd down stuff which was very bad the year before. No doubt that even a half-*** offense would have made a difference and a real ST game could have flipped 3 or 4 games, but so could have more timely turnovers and defensive scores. I’m not saying defense was a problem last year but I want a NC and it is not at that level.

I was disappointed with the DC pick. He might prove to be the next Bill Arnsparger but picking the dude who replace you at Louisiana Tech as DC does not show me that Manny thinks his old defense needs big improvement. I like Manny but sometimes he seems to have that “smartest man in the room” thing about him and that always worries me. I don’t want change in defense, just continued improvement and the clear accpeptance of needing it.

Lu, I don’t follow as much as you do. Did we get a dedicated ST coach? I think we need one. That should be a serious advantage we have over everyone and we suck in all parts of it instead. ST has gotten so bad, I long for Randy some games.
All fair. I kinda liked the Baker pick because he had to make his own way for a bit without Manny. My hope is he brings a new spin to Manny's defense. Specifically, more Nickel and Dime variations. Less use and reliance on the LBs. We'll see. It's a total wildcard.

Not sure about ST. It was a car wreck last season. Can't believe how much it brought the team down.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back