Forbes ranks most valuable college teams

7thFloorDude

Freshman
Premium
Wasn't expecting us to make the top 25. Unfortunately they don't provide a complete list to see exactly where Miami ranks, but when schools like Iowa, Arkansas, and Texas Tech make more than us its not surprising that we can't hire a better additional coach than Patke. The only private non-state colleges on the list are USC and Notre Dame, and of course almost every SEC team makes the list. Thank God we reside is the most talent rich recruiting area of the country or we would be irrelevant

https://www3.forbes.com/business/co...9d8bf6aca&utm_term=espn.com/college-football/

Advertisement
Wasn't expecting us to make the top 25. Unfortunately they don't provide a complete list to see exactly where Miami ranks, but when schools like Iowa, Arkansas, and Texas Tech make more than us its not surprising that we can't hire a better additional coach than Patke. The only private non-state colleges on the list are USC and Notre Dame, and of course almost every SEC team makes the list. Thank God we reside is the most talent rich recruiting area of the country or we would be irrelevant

https://www3.forbes.com/business/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams-2018/?utm_campaign=College-Footballs-Most-Valuable-Teams-2018&utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=009fc387a757a825568808cf79d8bf6aca&utm_term=espn.com/college-football/
Miami doesn’t make their books public, so nobody knows what the u makes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
theyre still a public school w really good home field environment (the grove).

True. But it's not a big enough school (23,000), stadium (64000), or a big enough state (3m), and it lacks unanimous support in its own backyard (Ole ****, **** St., Baga, L$U, Southern **** all have significant followings). To me, it's the most surprising school on the list and strongly suggest that those TV revenues are lifting the $EC boats.

Obviously we’ll hear about things like ACC payouts that will be public, but if u got the P&Ls and balance sheets, lay em on us!

I do have them and they are publicly available, I’m just not in the mood at this hour to read through a balance sheet. If I remember correctly, UM commingles athletic revenue with other revenues so the number I’d give is actually higher than what it would actually be. But sometime over the next few days I’ll hunt that down and let you know exactly where we stand. If memory serves me correctly we’re definitely not in the top 20 in revenue for sure and more likely were out of the top 25 in revenue. But I’m just remembering that off the top of my head. The top five schools in revenue, again off the top of my head, or at least the top three, double the revenue we generate.

Advertisement

https://www3.forbes.com/business/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams-2018/?utm_campaign=College-Footballs-Most-Valuable-Teams-2018&utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=009fc387a757a825568808cf79d8bf6aca&utm_term=espn.com/college-football/

First, the author of the article, Chris Smith, is a Florida State grad with nothing but a sociology degree. So take his work with a grain of salt.

Second, I don't believe a huge brand like Miami can do such a poor job of generating revenue, when we are the only major university on the east coast located in a major sports market. If true, it just screams of POOR MANAGEMENT.

The Miami Dolphins receive zero donations, and have net stadium revenues of over $400 million. The Miami Marlins get zero donations, and have stadium revenues of over $200 million. Even the Florida Panthers, who also get zero donations, have stadium revenues of over $100 million. On top of that, these teams make a fortune in other areas, such as advertising, and licensing.

College Football is the 2nd most popular sport in America, behind only the NFL. So if all of these Miami sports teams are making money without donations, and if college football is so popular, HOW ARE WE NOT MAKING A LOT OF MONEY?

I happen to believe that the Miami Hurricanes have a strong enough presence in South Florida to pull in slightly more than the Marlins, and slightly less than the Dolphins. But that can only happen if they're managed well. I would be disappointed if Miami were making any less than $200 million per year, given the market.

For reference, the University of Alabama's TOTAL revenue is $170 million, which includes stadium revenue, donations, conference subsidies, and licencing. As popular as they are, there is a good reason no professional sports teams have decided to set up shop in Tuscaloosa.

Miami has so many natural advantages just due to location, it's a crime if we aren't taking full advantage.

Advertisement
We don't own the stadium. Our tv deals/revenue are dwarfed by the NFL or MLB. We play 11 games, not 16 and no exhibition games. The Marlins play 81 games and they "own" the stadium. If we owned our own 100k stadium, filled it every game, and had a million alumni who gave to the program because the like it, then yes, we could be just like all the big state schools.

Advertisement
Back