For the Xs and Os guys...

nbrewer22

Sophomore
Do you think that Ray Lewis would make a good Defensive Coordinator. I know he was the leader of the ravens defense the past 15 years, but would his ability and knowledge on the field translate to being a good DC?

Advertisement
Why would we need Ray Lewis as a defensive coordinator when have a great DC in Coach D?

I think Ed Reed might be a better future position coach/coordinator than Ray.

I don't think either will ever go into coaching, but if one did, I would think Reed would be more likely also

I think Ray will follow in the footsteps of lots of other NFL hall of famers and return to the game as a top-flight coordinator or head coach.

Wait, wut...that almost never happens? Really? Well crap.

I think Ray will follow in the footsteps of lots of other NFL hall of famers and pursue a career as an analyst.

Advertisement
Not going to say Reed or Lewis wouldn't make great coaches one day but do we really want either one of them with zero coaching experience cutting their teeth here at Miami as DC's? Sounds great in theory but makes little sense. Barrow was a stud in the NFL and he's not even ready to be DC yet.

[]_[]Fan2010;1367771 said:
They were saying on one of the Super Bowl pregame shows that Reed wants to get into coaching

A lot of former players say that. But working 20 hours a week at a cushy TV job > Busting your *** 70-80 hours a week coaching for less pay.

They were saying on one of the Super Bowl pregame shows that Reed wants to get into coaching

A lot of former players say that. But working 20 hours a week at a cushy TV job > Busting your *** 70-80 hours a week coaching for less pay.

Ed has mentioned it several times. He wants to coach.

Advertisement

Ed has mentioned it several times. He wants to coach.

Ed was a coach. He should actually be given Coker's 2001 championship ring in addition to his own.

In my opinion I would prefer Reed over Lewis. Reed is amazingly smart, some players have described him as the rainman of football. That's the guy you want as a coordinator. Lewis is emotional, grabs the limelight, that's the guy you want as an analyst. Also all the players love Reed. He would be an amazing hire if we ever lose our DB coach

I do think he has potential to be a DC, but I would like to see him learn how to be a DC somewhere else. I would consider promoting Barrow to DC and hire Ray as LB coach were the situation to present itself. Truthfully though, I prefer coaches to have experience when they arrive here rather than getting it on the job.

Do you think that Ray Lewis would make a good Defensive Coordinator. I know he was the leader of the ravens defense the past 15 years, but would his ability and knowledge on the field translate to being a good DC?

IMO, with all of the years experience he has of breaking down film. I wouldn't doubt that Ray has a world of knowledge on how to attack offenses and/or stabalze them.

People say Ray Lewis has great instincts, but instincts really means you know what an offense is capable of doing, because of your dedication to your craft, in reviewing film, and figuring out formations, tendencies, checks based on certain defensive looks, etc...

Ray Lewis doesn't just show up and walk on the field, liek it seems from the eyes of the media. He's been coaching behind the scenes, and on the field from the MLB spot for a long time...

Furthermore, the Ray vs Ed is a silly question IMO. Do we think Ray hasn't shared with ED what to look for, and vice versa. Those guys are the co-captains of the defense, and are close buds for several years, so I don't think one knows that much more than the other; they've seen it all, and shared it all with each other.

With all that said, I think they both can coach, why not?

But they need to transition into the management/facillitation end of things. So I doubt they'd jump right in as a DC for any competitive program. Should definately help out, even if it's just being a fly on the way in the room though, and is asked give his thoughts...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not every player is cut out to be a coach. Especially if they have never coached before. Ray has never coached.

In my opinion I would prefer Reed over Lewis. Reed is amazingly smart, some players have described him as the rainman of football. That's the guy you want as a coordinator. Lewis is emotional, grabs the limelight, that's the guy you want as an analyst. Also all the players love Reed. He would be an amazing hire if we ever lose our DB coach

Dead on.

Reed has Spidey sense - he knows what the offense is going to do next before the play is called. Highly analytical, intuitive, brilliant, and there's not a single damned formation he hasn't seen and knows how to defend.

Advertisement
If you really look at it historically, the best coaches were never great players or even good players, in general, there are always exceptions, but generally great players do not make good coaches. And I have heard this as well, the reason is simple, great players see things differently, react differently, their "instincts" are on a whole other level, which is why they are great. They tend to not have the patience or the ability to communicate what they see to players and let alone the teaching and coaching of the fundamentals. Those fundamentals and basics that goes into coaching up a player, the great players don't have the knack for it, simply because for them, being so great, it was natural. It's why most great players don't translate into good coaches. Where as the good coaches, you will see were mostly mediocre players, why? Well they really had to bust their asses on the fundamentals of the game in order to stay in the league, and they do have the ability to communicate and teach that to players.

Advertisement
Back