For the star whores

Advertisement
This is you looking for evidence to discredit evidence. Because without it you can always say the ratings don't favor your favorite team.

But looking at high school ranks of two teams in one given NFL season is a bad sample to draw this conclusion from.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...6/national-signing-day-rankings-ncaa-football

This takes a broader look at this.

Besides cherry picking examples, more stars is usually a good indicator of college football production.

The idea scares you because it means you have to acknowledge when another school had a better recruiting class than the team you like. Let it go. Let the truth set you free. And hold your team accountable for recruiting better if that's what you want.

People still cant understand why this happens? There are more players that arent 4 and 5 stars by a HUGE margin. But a higher percent of 4 and 5 stars are successful than the lower rated players. That still means you are better off getting the highest rated class possible because you can only choose a small amount of players.

Say you have 10 5 stars and 100 3 stars.

3 of the 5 stars make the nfl and 10 of the 3 stars makemthe NFL. In your mind that makes 3 star better, but in REALITY that makes the 5 stars better.

Last edited:
Nice article. Stars do matter AND they don't matter. It's nice to have high star kids, but there are diamonds in the rough. BTW, I love your signature.

Advertisement
I guess it is a major coincidence every national championship team is consistently a top 10 recruiting class. But yeah, stars don't matter.

Last edited:
People still cant understand why this happens? There are more players that arent 4 and 5 stars by a HUGE margin. But a higher percent of 4 and 5 stars are successful than the lower rated players. That still means you are better off getting the highest rated class possible because you can only choose a small amount of players.

Did you read the article? It sort of addressed that or at least brought it up. What you are saying is true, but no matter how you slice it, it is interesting to see so many players in the superbowl who were barely recruited.

It's more important to get the right than just a high rated guy. And if your lucky you find a high rated guy that is a scheme fit.

Advertisement
I guess it is a major coincidence top 10 classes win national titles. But yeah, stars don't matter.

Yea they matter, but don't act like there hasn't been non-top ten clashes that have competed for national titles or high level bowl games. I'm too lazy to check but did Washington have recent top ten classes?

Nice article. Stars do matter AND they don't matter. It's nice to have high star kids, but there are diamonds in the rough. BTW, I love your signature.

The diamonds in the rough is a narrative and statistically a minority. It happens. The exception is not the rule.

Did you read the article? It sort of addressed that or at least brought it up. What you are saying is true, but no matter how you slice it, it is interesting to see so many players in the superbowl who were barely recruited.

while it is interesting, it still means its better to get the most 4 and 5 stars possible in your 25 player class.

I guess it is a major coincidence top 10 classes win national titles. But yeah, stars don't matter.

Yea they matter, but don't act like there hasn't been non-top ten clashes that have competed for national titles or high level bowl games. I'm too lazy to check but did Washington have recent top ten classes?

People keep doing this thing where they reach for exceptions to argue against the rule.

Advertisement

Washington and Oregon are the exceptions to this rule because the Pac 12 sucks, and they haven't won squat. Stars matter in the bigger scale of things.

lol... thanks. I only posted this so there would be something on here to read that has less drama. Wednesday can't get here soon enough!

There isn't a right or wrong to this. There are a lot of examples of stars living up to the hype, and lots of examples of some of them busting. There are also examples of low ranked kids balling out.

Stars aren't the issue. It's those giving out stars. If your coach is worth his pay, he doesn't rely on these sites to rate his players- he rates them himself. He chooses the guys HE WANTS and believe he can turn into a 5 star player. It's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Say you have 10 5 stars and 100 3 stars.

3 of the 5 stars make the nfl and 10 of the 3 stars makemthe NFL. In your mind that makes 3 star better, but in REALITY that makes the 5 stars better.

There are too many folks in here who don't understand math or common sense........so good luck explaining this

Yeah Washington really competed against bama.

Or maybe the Pac 12 sucks right now.

Clemson and I think Cam Newtons AU team are the only ones that dint have top 5 averaged classes since 2000 ish.

But clemson signs smaller classes with top tier talent.

Thank you for pointing something put that people point out multiple times every year.

There isn't a right or wrong to this. There are a lot of examples of stars living up to the hype, and lots of examples of some of them busting. There are also examples of low ranked kids balling out.

Stars aren't the issue. It's those giving out stars. If your coach is worth his pay, he doesn't rely on these sites to rate his players- he rates them himself. He chooses the guys HE WANTS and believe he can turn into a 5 star player. It's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

History proves the ones giving out the stars are good at their predictions but not perfect. But if you went only by stars, the higher rated players still out perform the lower rated.

Advertisement
Back