for the recruitniks,

Advertisement
When did Lavonte David and kendell Tompkins brother come out of Miami and how were they rated?
David was the same year ('08) that we took like 63 kids from MNW. He had grade issues and didn't get many offers and went juco. From there he went to Nebraska and balled out. I'm not sure about Kenbrell, I just remember him coming out of juco and him ending up at Cincinnati.

Kenbrell had grade issues, went juco and was supposed to end up at UT with Lane Kiffin before he left for SC.

his situation was definately more intense than just some academic issues:

"A native of the Liberty City neighborhood of Miami, Thompkins attended Miami Northwestern High School. A classmate of Anthony Gaitor, Thompkins started for Northwestern, but was academically ineligible to play as a sophomore and was later expelled for violating school policy. He was allowed to re-enroll prior to his junior football season, only to be expelled again later in the year. After spending his junior year at an alternative school, he re-enrolled at Northwestern for the third time prior to his senior year and finished his high school football career. Not long after the season concluded, Thompkins was expelled for the third time, after being arrested on armed robbery charges. After seven mostly drug-related arrests Thompkins was barely recruited coming out of high school. His only scholarship offer was from Morgan State, but he never enrolled."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenbrell_Thompkins

Advertisement
I heard some bad stories about Thompkins throughout the years. That kid must have ran into somebody that really helped him turn his life around, good for him.

I can't believe the best player on that '08 MNC team at Northwestern ended up being Lavonte David. He had grade concerns but after Juco we should have been all over him.

Advertisement
Back