For Spring Game/Practice attendees

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
We've now all heard the rumors and some confirmed visual evidence of some switching to more of a "1-gap" defensive line front. My question for the board is, do you feel this shift is a philosophy change (beaten to death I know) or will it be more situational? (i.e. only on 3rd and long) Is the change in gap responsibility coming from a 3-4 look or a 4-3, or is it still the hybrid 3-4 plus Jack look?

Also, for those that know these kinds of things - how does the shift to a 1-gap defensive front change the responsibilities of the back 7, if at all?

Advertisement
In Golden's interview with Zagacki after the Spring Game, He made mention of the 4 down linemen defense as "The Nickel". So I'm wondering if they're going more 4-2-5, as opposed to 4-3.

Last year's "nickel" was a disaster with Owens coming off the edge accomplishing nothing while Pierre, Chickillo, Heurtelou played patty-cake. It should be so simple.

DE AQM
DT Kamalu
DT Thomas
DE McCord

LB Grace
LB Kirby

CB Howard/Burns/Elder
S Bush/Carter

Advertisement
Last year's "nickel" was a disaster with Owens coming off the edge accomplishing nothing while Pierre, Chickillo, Heurtelou played patty-cake. It should be so simple.

DE AQM
DT Kamalu
DT Thomas
DE McCord

LB Grace
LB Kirby

CB Howard/Burns/Elder
S Bush/Carter

If you can't field a super successful 3rd down defense with this then you not only don't belong at Miami, you don't belong in college football or even high level HS football. Period.

DTs were getting upfield, or at least trying to in some cases, on most downs. There was no room to run up the middle, I don't think RBs had many 4+ yard runs there, maybe one or two. Gray and Edwards bounced it outside often, and were taken down quickly by Kirby, Grace, and Bush.

There wasn't much "read and react" going on on the DL. Wyche was doing a nice job of taking up space and getting in the way of RBs.

Advertisement
I will believe that a 1 Gap Defense will be ran by these clown running the show when I see it in a game against a high caliber opponent, and not just against sub par teams.

Here's the thing about golden. He panics and even worse he likes to play it extremely safe. He can't help himself. So yes we may one gap more especially in the first 3 games. But once we play a quality opponent, he will go full blown conservative/bend don't break. It's in his nature and he can't change it.

So yes we may see more one gap, but the second the defense gets gashed he will go right back to that gap control BS.

DE AQM
DT Kamalu
DT Thomas
DE McCord

LB Grace
LB Kirby

CB Howard/Burns/Elder
S Bush/Carter

If you can't field a super successful 3rd down defense with this then you not only don't belong at Miami, you don't belong in college football or even high level HS football. Period.

And all of them are relatively healthy no excuses!

We've now all heard the rumors and some confirmed visual evidence of some switching to more of a "1-gap" defensive line front. My question for the board is, do you feel this shift is a philosophy change (beaten to death I know) or will it be more situational? (i.e. only on 3rd and long) Is the change in gap responsibility coming from a 3-4 look or a 4-3, or is it still the hybrid 3-4 plus Jack look?

Also, for those that know these kinds of things - how does the shift to a 1-gap defensive front change the responsibilities of the back 7, if at all?
Situational 1 gap.. eventough we saw a lot in the spring game... still 34 or i will settle at Hybrid 43.. not a true 43

Last edited:
Advertisement
Continuity is Al's mantra. Dude is too proud to change something like that -- it would indicate he was wrong. Remember last year the defense clearly played a more aggressive defense in a couple games and we all got excited. Al explained there had been NO changes; just players making less mistakes. Next week we were back to passive bs and lost. A young Tez Kennedy, Russel Maryland, Dan Stubbs and Ted Hendricks could be here with Barrow, Armstead and Smith are our beloved Al would be not know what to do with them. He would still play his psu passive wait for a mistake shower lover defense. Ted could clearly drop into coverage so Al would probably fatten him up to move to NT from DE. Al will not change anything. He only adds new people to blame.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back