For all the mopes that like to bash Mario:

Midlo Cane Fan

No more Midlo
I rarely voice my own opinions on here, but I simply cannot stand how about half of this board continually bashes Mario. These mopey dopes were obviously expecting at least 9 or 10 wins last year, without taking into account the @&^% roster and state of the locker room he walked into.

It takes time to rebuild after years of devastation. To show how some of the all time greatest coaches did in their first 2-4 years at a major school, here's some records for a few.

Bear Bryant: TA&M-1-9, 7-2-1, 9-0-1.
ALA- 5-4, 7-2-2, 8-1-2.

Joe Paterno: PSU- 5-5-0, 8-2-1, 11-0-0.

Nick Saban: ALA- 7-6, 12-2.

Bobby Bowden: FSU- 5-6, 10-2.

Woody Hayes: OSU- 4-3-2, 6-3, 6-3, 10-0.

John McKay: USC- 4-6, 4-5-1, 11-0.

Does everyone see the progression? It takes time to install the culture and roster changes. Stop griping about the last 20 years. I've suffered right along with you. It was a combination of bad hiring and bad leadership.

And don't even @ me about NIL, because the paradigm shift happened right when Mario got here. Lots of people swore that it would be the difference maker for us, before the rest of CFB caught up.

So please, stop whining and moaning and be a Canes fan and support the team without spewing your agony for others to read.

Advertisement
Advertisement
IMO culture is more important than NIL. **** it almost destroyed FSU.
You have to have a guy that demands accountability and Miami has been missing that for quite some time.
Stupid PF...that's ok you still get to play, that **** had to end.

Advertisement
I haven’t given up on Cristobal but to ignore the red flags is pretty ignorant. Talent me this and talent me that but even lowly Manny Diaz would’ve (and did) win more than 5 games with this bunch.

Cristobal is getting paid as an elite coach and had an open checkbook to hire anyone he wanted as coordinators. After months of searching, this was an unequivocal failure. Cristobal then took months to fire Gattis and even longer to hire his replacement which has seemingly hurt us in recruiting. He put together a great class last season but I think even the most optimistic Canes fans don’t think this year’s class will be in the top 10. ****, he’s being outrecruited by Oregon at this point.

I’m not screaming to fly the banner and I renewed my season tickets for the 20th straight year (at an increased price nevertheless). I don’t think it makes someone a “mope” if they demand a higher standard then 5-7 and want a top 10 recruiting class from an “ace recruiter” getting paid $80 million with an open checkbook for coordinators.

giphy.gif

I'm gonna call it like I see it Felicia.

I rarely voice my own opinions on here, but I simply cannot stand how about half of this board continually bashes Mario. These mopey dopes were obviously expecting at least 9 or 10 wins last year, without taking into account the @&^% roster and state of the locker room he walked into.

It takes time to rebuild after years of devastation. To show how some of the all time greatest coaches did in their first 2-4 years at a major school, here's some records for a few.

Bear Bryant: TA&M-1-9, 7-2-1, 9-0-1.
ALA- 5-4, 7-2-2, 8-1-2.

Joe Paterno: PSU- 5-5-0, 8-2-1, 11-0-0.

Nick Saban: ALA- 7-6, 12-2.

Bobby Bowden: FSU- 5-6, 10-2.

Woody Hayes: OSU- 4-3-2, 6-3, 6-3, 10-0.

John McKay: USC- 4-6, 4-5-1, 11-0.

Does everyone see the progression? It takes time to install the culture and roster changes. Stop griping about the last 20 years. I've suffered right along with you. It was a combination of bad hiring and bad leadership.

And don't even @ me about NIL, because the paradigm shift happened right when Mario got here. Lots of people swore that it would be the difference maker for us, before the rest of CFB caught up.

So please, stop whining and moaning and be a Canes fan and support the team without spewing your agony for others to read.
I mean they all did know how to call timeouts at the right time though.
just saying

I haven’t given up on Cristobal but to ignore the red flags is pretty ignorant. Talent me this and talent me that but even lowly Manny Diaz would’ve (and did) win more than 5 games with this bunch.

Cristobal is getting paid as an elite coach and had an open checkbook to hire anyone he wanted as coordinators. After months of searching, this was an unequivocal failure. Cristobal then took months to fire Gattis and even longer to hire his replacement which has seemingly hurt us in recruiting. He put together a great class last season but I think even the most optimistic Canes fans don’t think this year’s class will be in the top 10. ****, he’s being outrecruited by Oregon at this point.

I’m not screaming to fly the banner and I renewed my season tickets for the 20th straight year (at an increased price nevertheless). I don’t think it makes someone a “mope” if they demand a higher standard then 5-7 and want a top 10 recruiting class from an “ace recruiter” getting paid $80 million with an open checkbook for coordinators.
When Dean Smith started coaching Basketball at UNC, the team was so bad the students actually hung him in effigy. We all know how that ended up. Who knows what goes on in the minds of 17 year olds getting money and God knows what else thrown at them. I just don't think it's right for so much border line hatred to be released after 1 year.

Are we ready to hang Mario in effigy?

Advertisement
The circumstances surrounding him becoming our HC and following that up with our worst season in recent memory has folks feeling frustrated. Nobody trusts Miami to make the proper decisions when it comes to athletics and the school continues to operate like they know better than everyone else. Here's to hoping they got this one right.

The circumstances surrounding him becoming our HC and following that up with our worst season in recent memory has folks feeling frustrated. Nobody trusts Miami to make the proper decisions when it comes to athletics and the school continues to operate like they know better than everyone else. Here's to hoping they got this one right.
I was a McDonald's manager in Florida many years ago, and was told a story by the regional manager about a store where the managers and crew were so bad they closed the store, fired everyone, hired a new crew & reopened. I'm feeling the same kind of situation here.

Advertisement
I'm sorry, but it doesn't take time to equal the guy you fired.

He certainly didn't expect to have to make the staff turnover that happened.

I'm not even sure what the point of your thread is when you predicted 10-2 last year.

So you pointed out historically great coaches. They're outliers, while there's a list as long as Santa's of coaches we wouldn't even know the names of that started out like this and failed.

I'm not throwing in the towel and few have. It certainly hasn't been a fortuitous start, in fact it has been worse than any doubter ever dreamed.

Mario did give us the worst season of my lifetime. He accomplished that with a team that was doing well with the blue chip ratio and an all-star coaching staff. But as for history he still has time. He needs to win this year. Stacking classes is something that Jimbo does (at A&M)... Pretty much everyone else starts stacking classes after they have won with the formerly "loser" players.

For comparison here's how every championship coach did with their team in the first couple of years since 1900.

You'll notice (particularly in the modern era) there's not a lot of "team building" happening over years. Good coaches take over losers and they start winning by year 2. I mean you could still build a team slowly over several years but when we're talking about championship coaches they start turning things around quickly.
Screenshot_20230624_182055_Sheets.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but it doesn't take time to equal the guy you fired.

He certainly didn't expect to have to make the staff turnover that happened.

I'm not even sure what the point of your thread is when you predicted 10-2 last year.

So you pointed out historically great coaches. They're outliers, while there's a list as long as Santa's of coaches we wouldn't even know the names of that started out like this and failed.

I'm not throwing in the towel and few have. It certainly hasn't been a fortuitous start, in fact it has been worse than any doubter ever dreamed.
If you read it again, I didn't PREDICT 10-2, I said there were people that EXPECTED a 9 or 10 win season.

And I used those coaches to show that even the best of the best sometimes need time to right the ship.

Advertisement
Back