Football strategy question

NorthFlaCane

Senior
I'm watching Michigan-Ohio State and OSU had the ball on their own 2, 3rd and 27. They throw it deep, the ball almost gets picked, and OSU gets called for holding in the end zone for a safety.

So my question to the football board is this, say Michigan had intercepted the pass and ran it back to the OSU 35. Would you have taken the penalty or declined?

Accept penalty: Safety, free kick
Decline penalty: Ball at the opponent 35 yard line.

Advertisement
You have to consider more things than that. What was the score? What quarter is it? Sorry not watching the game, but without that, I don't believe you can actually make a real judgment call.

You have to consider more things than that. What was the score? What quarter is it? Sorry not watching the game, but without that, I don't believe you can actually make a real judgment call.

It was 7-7 in the first quarter when it happened.

Advertisement
Advertisement
They ended up with the ball on the 50 after the punt anyway. So your talking about 15 yards of field differential and 2 points. What happens if you take the points off the field, and the very next play you turn the ball over. You would come away with 0 points after that scenario? Like I said, the strategy from Pop Warner on is that you NEVER take points off the board.

Ok, let's say you run the pick back to the opponent's 5 yard line.

Opponents 5 yard line vs 2 points + free kick

And let's say its the start of the 4th quarter, and you are down 20-13.

Advertisement
Even factoring everything in, I am hard pressed to come up with a situation where you would not take the safety.

The closest thing I got, is you are up by four, less than 1:40 left in the game and you get the ball on the 5. Any other time you are making a worse decision than Les Miles has ever made, IMO.

Even factoring everything in, I am hard pressed to come up with a situation where you would not take the safety.

The closest thing I got, is you are up by four, less than 1:40 left in the game and you get the ball on the 5. Any other time you are making a worse decision than Les Miles has ever made, IMO.
Disagree. If you're down 7 late in the fourth, you have to tale the highest probability of tying over a lower probability of gaining the lead. That's the revised hypo, thou if it's early in the fourth, I agree with you, you take the points and the ball. But under 4 min. Left, give me the ball on the 5 with a chance to tie.

Advertisement
I'm watching Michigan-Ohio State and OSU had the ball on their own 2, 3rd and 27. They throw it deep, the ball almost gets picked, and OSU gets called for holding in the end zone for a safety.

So my question to the football board is this, say Michigan had intercepted the pass and ran it back to the OSU 35. Would you have taken the penalty or declined?

100 different variables, especially the score and the clock. But all things being equal, take the safety and the ball.

100 different variables, especially the score and the clock. But all things being equal, take the safety and the ball.
Agreed

Disagree. If you're down 7 late in the fourth, you have to tale the highest probability of tying over a lower probability of gaining the lead. That's the revised hypo, thou if it's early in the fourth, I agree with you, you take the points and the ball. But under 4 min. Left, give me the ball on the 5 with a chance to tie.

Didn't say there was only one, just said I could only think of one. LOL. Yes that is a second situation where it would be feasible. Although your situation could have more of a downside, and could be second guessed later, if unsuccessful. Now I will say that I doubt there is a third situation, where you SHOULD do it.

Advertisement
Back