NFL Football is a contact sport

Advertisement
I don’t know if it’s me, but I feel there’s more injuries today than yesterday, especially to defensive players b/c they are over thinking. Since most “personal fouls” happen on defense, I see a lot of hesitation, lack of shoulder pad levels, and in turn, the offensive player is still allowed to run full speed through them; especially RBs.

Advertisement
Secret to a good old truck is pad level and therefore center of gravity. I have seen Dion Lewis (5´8 195) and Danny Woodhead (5´8 204) hammer players out of their shoes once they put their shoulders down. You dont have to be Derrick Henry to run over people.

Advertisement
Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Additionally, the Patriots stuffed a 3rd down run attempt by Marshawn Lynch from a similar set. A season later, Seattle ran it on 4th against the Rams in OT and got stuffed to lose the game.

Still a violent a$$ sport no matter how many rules they try to implement. That's why CTE ain't going anywhere. There's absolutely NOTHING the league can do about the inherently violent interaction that goes on inside the box. (unless they remove the helmets)

Do yall think they will remove helmets from the game, ever? Seems like the helmet gives players a false sense of being able to weaponize their heads.

Advertisement
Do yall think they will remove helmets from the game, ever? Seems like the helmet gives players a false sense of being able to weaponize their heads.
Have you ever, either by accident or by intention, had head on head contact with someone?

Yeah, they need helmets.

Have you ever heard of Rugby? lol. No, no they don't.
Thats the same logic as saying "You dont need to ride a motorcycle with a helmet, not everyone crashes while riding a motorcycle with no helmet."

The risk of concussions in rugby is higher compared to sports such as American Football (https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/3/1/e000255). The point of wearing head gear is not to prevent injuries entirely, since this is completely impossible. Its there to reduce injury risk as much as possible. Which is, btw, what former and current players have fought for in lawsuits and negotiations on the professional level.

Btw, tackling rules in rugby are entirely different compared to football. So the comparison between the two from a playing standpoint doesnt really work.

Advertisement
Thats the same logic as saying "You dont need to ride a motorcycle with a helmet, not everyone crashes while riding a motorcycle with no helmet."

The risk of concussions in rugby is higher compared to sports such as American Football (https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/3/1/e000255). The point of wearing head gear is not to prevent injuries entirely, since this is completely impossible. Its there to reduce injury risk as much as possible. Which is, btw, what former and current players have fought for in lawsuits and negotiations on the professional level.

Btw, tackling rules in rugby are entirely different compared to football. So the comparison between the two from a playing standpoint doesnt really work.
AFL kind of similar. No helmets. Technically, they do not need helmets if rules were changed a bit. I believe in AFL you can't lead with your head either which is similar to our targeting.

What are the rules for tackling in football?
A tackle must only contact below the shoulders and above the knees, and a player is able to be thrown to the ground, so long as the tackle is deemed not to be reckless or likely to cause injury. There are also rules outlawing pushing in the back making tackling more difficult.

Just would depend on how far you want to go in the name of safety. They don't wear helmets in flag football and QB at any level really doesn't need a helmet. The way it is played now I think you would be correct with the problem being RB initiating contact.

AFL kind of similar. No helmets. Technically, they do not need helmets if rules were changed a bit. I believe in AFL you can't lead with your head either which is similar to our targeting.

What are the rules for tackling in football?
A tackle must only contact below the shoulders and above the knees, and a player is able to be thrown to the ground, so long as the tackle is deemed not to be reckless or likely to cause injury. There are also rules outlawing pushing in the back making tackling more difficult.

Just would depend on how far you want to go in the name of safety. They don't wear helmets in flag football and QB at any level really doesn't need a helmet. The way it is played now I think you would be correct with the problem being RB initiating contact.
fwiw, i am against prohibiting teams from practicing more tackling.

but head gear is important and has its sense.

fwiw, i am against prohibiting teams from practicing more tackling.

but head gear is important and has its sense.
I think what some are arguing is helmets are worn today and there are still issues. I have always screamed "then play without helmets" when there is a bogus targeting call because you can't help get your helmet in there even on the best form tackles. Targeting to cry baby's chest stuff...

I want the helmets just for the decorations...Would be boring without them and plus some guys are butt ugly so at least some of their face is hidden.

I didn't look at AFL injury rates but if better we could go that route in terms of rules and no helmets. I like our rules just sayin.

I think what some are arguing is helmets are worn today and there are still issues. I have always screamed "then play without helmets" when there is a bogus targeting call because you can't help get your helmet in there even on the best form tackles. Targeting to cry baby's chest stuff...

I want the helmets just for the decorations...Would be boring without them and plus some guys are butt ugly so at least some of their face is hidden.

I didn't look at AFL injury rates but if better we could go that route in terms of rules and no helmets. I like our rules just sayin.
Targeting rules need adjustments, thats for sure.

Advertisement
Back