Food Lion sending Butch a message

There was actually Food Lion stores that shut down because of the investigation. They lost a huge amount of business.

Advertisement
I grew up in the country. I mean 15-20 years behind the rest of civilization country. We had a grocery store and one guy worked there. His name was Bob Cation and the store was called Cation's Grocery Store. He owned the store, stocked the shelves, and ran the checkout. I remember as a kid visiting my grandparents and going into a Food Lion for the first time and just being blown away like I had entered some kind of food amusement park.

Now my local Kroger sells clothes and furniture. Furniture in the grocery store. I mean, I can't remember ever being in the grocery store going, "Okay, I got hamburger buns, ground beef...but it feels like I'm forgetting something...****! A grill! I almost forgot the most important thing!"

It’s over for Tennessee. Fulmer was good there because he played D and ran it down people’s throat. Nowadays, it seems that is just not enough. And good luck getting out of state recruits to Knoxville over many other locales. In state recruits are virtually non-existent outside of Memphis and the Mississippi schools have a lock on that area already. If they fire Butch, things will probably get a lot worse and I don’t ever see them returning to national contention. Add in a delusional fan base and this thing will snowball beyond recovery.

I live in Nashville and work with a bunch of UT fans. It's glorious to see the butt hurt.

Heyyy so do I. Yeah...the sad UT fans are great. They're such an odd fanbase. I respect the **** out of the fact that they load the stadium no matter what, but they also live in a dream world. When Butch got hired, I was telling all of my UT zealot friends that he was average and that UT would never come back under him...and as the Golden era progressed, I often compared him to Al Golden.

UT fans live in such ridiculous denial. It took them forever to finally admit that Butch Jones was a dog$hit coach

You know things are bad when Food Lion comes at you. I didn't know they still had stores left.

glad they took time out of their busy schedule of bleaching spoiled pork so they could assemble this cookie cake

Gross.

There are no Food Lions where I live. Is this something they were accused of?

In the early 90's. From the Wiki:

"In the 1990s, Food Lion gained a degree of notoriety when it was the subject of an ABC News investigation. ABC had received a tip about unsanitary practices at Food Lion. Two ABC reporters had posed as Food Lion employees, and witnessed the unsanitary practices at Food Lion. Much of what they had seen was videotaped with cameras hidden in wigs that they were wearing. The footage was then featured in a segment on the news magazine Primetime Live, in which Food Lion employees described unsanitary practices, which included bleaching discolored, expired pork with Clorox and repackaging expired meats with new expiration dates, and the use of nail polish remover to remove the expiration dates from dairy item packages.

The company responded by suing ABC for fraud, claiming that the ABC employees misrepresented themselves; for trespassing, because the ABC employees came on to Food Lion property without permission; and for breach of duty of loyalty, the ABC employees videotaped nonpublic areas of the store and revealed internal company information. During the court battles between Food Lion and ABC, over 40 hours of unused footage were released that helped Food Lion's case. In the unused footage, two undercover producers are seen trying to encourage violations of company policy; however, employees resisted and correctly followed sanitary practices.[34]

Food Lion was awarded US$5.5 million by a jury in 1997. The award was later reduced by a judge to $316,000. The verdict was then largely overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit in Richmond, Virginia. According to the court: even though ABC was wrong to do what they had done, Food Lion was not suing for defamation, but rather for tort as a way to get around the strict First Amendment standards for defamation. Food Lion did this because at the time of the lawsuit they were unable to prove that ABC acted with malice--- which would be required to prove defamation.[35] However, the appellate court upheld the finding that the producers involved breached their duty of loyalty as employees to Food Lion, and had trespassed, including a nominal $2 fine.[36]"

The 4th Circuit has always sucked. Besides, their judges are too good to shop in Food Lion. They pay the higher prices at Harris Teeter.

Advertisement
I grew up in the country. I mean 15-20 years behind the rest of civilization country. We had a grocery store and one guy worked there. His name was Bob Cation and the store was called Cation's Grocery Store. He owned the store, stocked the shelves, and ran the checkout. I remember as a kid visiting my grandparents and going into a Food Lion for the first time and just being blown away like I had entered some kind of food amusement park.

Now my local Kroger sells clothes and furniture. Furniture in the grocery store. I mean, I can't remember ever being in the grocery store going, "Okay, I got hamburger buns, ground beef...but it feels like I'm forgetting something...****! A grill! I almost forgot the most important thing!"

I bought a computer in an Aldi's. I've seen furniture of sorts, TVs, stereos, etc. in Aldi. Kroger bought Harris Teeter and that's supposedly higher end. I'll probably go to Teeter this afternoon before the game. They have those big cookies but there won't be any about Tennessee. Not in Maryland. Another German discount chain is coming to the US, Lidl's. Trader Joe's is part of one Aldi company; Aldi is part of the other. There are two Aldi companies in Europe. Family company that split over selling cigarettes.

Advertisement
Back