Folks who analyzed Richt's career at Georgia, a question...

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
... was he quick on the trigger to fire guys? Hesitant? Average?

Just curious how willing he is to make changes when it's deemed necessary.

This isn't a thread to debate Kul/Rumph, by the way - I'm asking about Richt's history.

Advertisement
he didn't have full control, the AD Mcgarity controlled things more than most people think

He didn't have full support there. The guy got in trouble for paying assistants out of his own pocket.

Advertisement
... was he quick on the trigger to fire guys? Hesitant? Average?

This isn't a thread to debate Kul/Rumph, by the way - I'm asking about Richt's history.

Richt was loyal to his staff at UGA. He was hesitant to make changes.

But I also think that makes him par for the course with most head coaches.

Unless a guy proves to be a bad "fit" for the staff, guys are rarely "fired".

What winning HC is firing staff members left and right?

Advertisement
He didn't have full support there. The guy got in trouble for paying assistants out of his own pocket.

That's because it's an NCAA violation.

It wasn't a UGA rule.

Yes I know it was a violation, the point is he couldn't get the administration to pay them?

This isn't true.

Richt negotiated for his coaches salary pool.

The admin had no problems paying for Pruitt and Schottenheimer to be DC and OC.

he didn't have full control, the AD Mcgarity controlled things more than most people think

not this crap again.

"they made him run a simplistic offense that stunk"

I guess the UGA AD is still forcing him huh?
They didn’t dictate his offense. That’s the dumbest rumor on this board. He promised Mike BoBo play calling duties if he stuck around and Richt fulfilled his promise. BoBo left and rather than call plays again he simply hired an OC (his biggest mistake).

His AD never dictated his style of offense. His AD never supported him financially but he didn’t tell Richt what type of offense to run.

Enough with that bull**** rumor

That's because it's an NCAA violation.

It wasn't a UGA rule.

Yes I know it was a violation, the point is he couldn't get the administration to pay them?

This isn't true.

Richt negotiated for his coaches salary pool.

The admin had no problems paying for Pruitt and Schottenheimer to be DC and OC.

Georgia Bulldogs' Mark Richt paid staff from own pocket, report says

Advertisement
The summation of his career at Georgia was that with down Florida and Tennessee programs, he still couldn’t dominate the SEC East.

"... was he quick on the trigger to fire guys? Hesitant? Average?
"

Just trying to keep you on point.

Good god! We are now relevant as a program. Compare, say, Jim Harbaugh.

Why didn't we hire Saban, dammit!?

Advertisement
Good god! We are now relevant as a program. Compare, say, Jim Harbaugh.

Why didn't we hire Saban, dammit!?

Same reason we lost Jobe, Campbell, and nah - not sure about the other one. Money.

Lots of money to the families. Lots of favors.

He kept a couple to look, but also quickly fired a couple obvious mistakes, one being the DC he hired from Tenn only lasted 2 years. If you are asking about Rumph no chance he goes, will be given another year to work with the incoming recruits.

He had to start losing before feeling pressure to fire the thre defensive coaches that he did one year...he fired no one else. He is tremendously loyal and does hates coach turnover even when there is turmoil.

Richt was loyal to his staff at UGA. He was hesitant to make changes.

But I also think that makes him par for the course with most head coaches.

Unless a guy proves to be a bad "fit" for the staff, guys are rarely "fired".

What winning HC is firing staff members left and right?

Winning HC don't have to fire guys because other P5 school are trying to hire them. I'm certain no one is trying to hire Manny Diaz or Mike Rumph at the same position.

I'm not someone who was in tune with UGA football but I can tell just based of Richt's personally he is loyal to a fault until it becomes painfully obvious he has to fire someone.

Truth be told. That's how you don't get over the hump.. by keeping coaches who are not good enough to be on a championship coaching staff.

Advertisement
Back