Foldin and Jethro Finally Go After A DT

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1500067-california-dreamin

Kevin Scott out of Los Angeles got a call from the Ole Miss staff Wednesday. It was exactly what he was hoping to hear.

"Coach (Lee) Wilbanks got in touch with me couple weeks back," Scott said. "He told me that he was going to show their staff my film. They called me back today. Coach (Chris) Kiffin told me that they usually don't offer guys from the West Coast because it's so far from Mississippi, but that they were going to make an exception with me. He said after watching my film and comparing it against all of the guys he had offered from around the South that I was better than half of them."

The 6' 5", 285-pound defensive lineman has family in Mississippi so he is somewhat familiar with their program.

"My grandmother was born and raised in Shaw, Miss. My aunt and cousin still live in Shaw. I have kept up with Ole Miss a little bit through the years. I know it's a great program. The SEC is big time football. They always say around here you have the AFC/NFC and the SEC. I just wanted to know from Ole Miss where I would play. They told me I would mostly be playing the three technique sprinkled in with a little 5 (technique) if they were in the 3-4 base. They told me that what they loved about my film is that I am just a first year player. They think I have a lot of upside."

Kevin Scott was a hoops guy his whole life before joining the football team for the first time this season.

"I transferred after my sophomore year and decided to play football here at Bishop (Mora Salesian). They declared my ineligible to play football because of the transfer rule so I didn't get to play my junior year. They let me play basketball here at Bishop but not football."

The transition to football was not that difficult. He collected 18 sacks in his first year.

"I kind of surprised myself to be honest. Everybody told me I would be great at football. They kept telling me they would be watching me on TV one day. I kept hearing it so I said I might as well give it a try. I just worked hard every day in the weight room last year and came in ready. In basketball I have really good footwork for someone my size. I have always had a good first step. That really helps me in football. I also have real long arms and strong hands. I have a lot more work to do but I am getting better. It's exciting to have a chance to play on the D1 level after only playing a season. God has blessed me."

The 1st Team All-League selection has several more schools who are heavily involved.

"I am going to San Diego State on January 23rd and Ole Miss on January 30th. Kansas State wanted me to come up on January 30th but so did Ole Miss. If Kansas State does not let me come up on January 16th I am going to go to UNLV instead."

Another college is also working an angle to get involved.

"Purdue reached out to me yesterday. They are going to come see me next Friday (January 15th). They told me that based on my film I have a scholarship. They just want to see me in person to see if I am really 6' 5", 285. If I do measure up then they said I will formally have an offer."

Southern Cal is also showing strong interest.

"Coach Wilson comes by here a lot. He's been by here multiple times. Coach Wilson said they are trying to commit some 5-Star DT named Rasheem Green. They are just waiting on his decision. If he doesn't commit to them he told me I am next in line."

What are going to be the most important factors in Kevin's decision?

"I just want to know how the team accepts me. I want to see if they are a family. I am a real family oriented person. I want to see what my relationship is going to be like with their coaches and players. The big names don't matter to me. I am just an average guy. Playing time doesn't matter to me. They don't have to promise any playing time with me. I would actually prefer to take a redshirt so I can learn more about the game. I just want to feel like I fit in. That's basically it."

Last edited:
I like his film at DT more than Norton's.

They play different positions. Scott is DT/SDE depending on the defensive front, where as Norton is a NT all day and twice on Saturday. It is like comparing Limes and oranges.

Go Canes

Junior Alexis had no business sniffing a D1 scholly.

At least this guy has other legit offers like Ole Miss.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm glad we are in the running for this kid, but do we really have to go all the way to California to find a decent DT?

What happened to us recruiting Texas? Seems like we have abandoned that state entirely.

I'm sure there are even suitable DT prospects in the south that wouldn't mind coming here either.

USC is basically waiting in Green. If they get him, they will cool on Scott. If they don't then they will go full court in Scott and get him

its odd they went to go get 2 Top tier players both positions of need...and come out with a sleeper...

I just don't jump with excitement giving our history...

USC Scout guy saying Kevin Scott cancelled his OV to San Diego State and scheduled one to UM. Will be on campus 1/23.

This seems like the kinda kid that Jethro can land.

Advertisement
Back