Florida Marlins

Joe Robbie Stadium was built on land that was commonly referred to by locals as, The Ponderosa. The area known for it's vast span of no man's land was once littered with stolen cars, dead bodies and yes, American Indian artifacts. Rumor has it the area was once an Indian Buriel ground. That was the word long before Joe Robbie ever pooled his money together to buy some of the cheapest land around. So you may be right. Ya never know.

Go Canes!!!
I even heard a skunk ape lived in them dar woods oe'r yonder

Advertisement
I feel Hard Rock stadium is built on an old indian burial ground.

Fins havent sniffed anything in 34 years since moving there and of course our Canes
Nah...Marlins beat the Indians in 7 games in 97 world series in that stadium. No way that happens on Indian burial ground. No way.

There’s no comparison between what the Marlins did and this team
The fact remains tho that neither organization gives a **** whether or not the teams win, or even play to any kind of a standard.

And even worse is that they don’t care about their teams respective places in the community… what their teams mean to us. Or to the kids who look up to the players… Any illusion otherwise was shattered with that insulting and incoherent letter Frenk released.

Advertisement
I believe it is a myth that there are legions of hardcore baseball fans in South Florida, or the whole state for that matter. The state produces scores of top-notch players, but that doesn't mean people give a **** about MLB.

Additionally, the demographic of baseball fans skews older. Many had fixed allegiances before 1993. While some migrated to fish fandom, I'm willing to bet that's a small minority. I can't see too many long term Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals fans just switching like that.

The Marlins had to capture my age group, say 31-37 year olds now (I'll be 35 in December) who didn't have a fixed allegiance yet. They only made the playoffs twice,winning two titles, but then issuing a fire sale.

They fleeced the taxpayer and destroyed the Orange Bowl.

All of this was also occurring as baseball is decidedly less popular among this age demographic.

I grew up in West Palm Beach. Soccer is far more popular than baseball with people my age from South Florida.

I can't even imagine how few Marlins fans there must be among Gen Z. They needed to do everything right just to compete for fan attention.

What you see is the fruit of doing everything wrong.

/rant

Nail hit Head on this one.
I followed the Marlins in their first few years, but their fire sell of players and involvement in OB demolition made me hate that franchise with a passion to the point that I refuse to step inside that abortion of a stadium.

Advertisement
Back