Florida Marlins

pacusmc

All American
The athletic department not only doesn’t understand football but it also doesn’t understand the demographic or the fan base.
If there is one thing that can turn fans away it’s mistrust. I recall playing stick ball in a container lot with my fellow Marines in freaking 1993 and talking mad sht about how the Marlins we’re gonna win so many championships that it would make yankee fans move to Florida. I said “do you know how many baseball fans there are in Miami”? That stadium is gonna be crazy!!!!

Well it almost happened. And what did the team end up doing? Take advantage of the fan base for profit and trade everyone. Then by whatever baseball gods miracle we won another one. Attendance despite that horrible stadium for baseball was pretty good crowd. And then……they did it again and traded everyone.
They had a good farm system that provided great talent………for the entire league cause we wouldn’t pay our home grown players.

Then they straight up ski masked the county into using tax dollars for the new stadium on Holy Ground.
By then it was too late and not even the Cuban Born pitcher could fill the seats. The Marlins, despite the stadium, despite the knowledgeable and baseball savvy and loving fan base within walking distance didn’t trust the people running the show and won’t show up. Not even the world’s best bachelor Derek Jeter can make anyone go to that very nice and modern stadium. The Marlins are 3 years in a row the lowest home attendance in the league.
Why? Cause you alienated a fan base for profit and refused to keep the talent here.

The ACC is corporate welfare to this athletic department and it shows by their apathetic efforts in wanting to win at anything except suckering loyal fans into buying their product.
The uva game was depressing not only for on the field performance but by attendance standards. That wasn’t a normal Thursday night home crowd. It was depleted and demoralized.
I expect everything to get worse unless what should’ve happened when the clock hit zero during Michigan state doesn’t happen soon.

They are literally either being strong armed into keeping manny and Blake or just want the entire football program to go away cause we’re too annoying. This is not the way you take care of a program. This is not what you do to the “student athletes” that you say you are there to represents

This marriage of Blake and manny and the UM football program is broken beyond repair. And just like in real failed marriages it’s the kids who suffer the most.

Advertisement
Sometimes I question having any sports in Miami at all. Every S. Fl sports organization does exactly what you are describing. Each one had a taste of success and instead of capitalizing on the playing field, it just hoarded the scraps and cried poor mouth. Dolphins, Heat, Marlins, Panthers, Hurricanes, all of them. Listen to people within the organization. They always claim they can barely make ends meet. Why THE F does Miami keep creating new teams if it can't make ends meet?!

Sometimes I question having any sports in Miami at all. Every S. Fl sports organization does exactly what you are describing. Each one had a taste of success and instead of capitalizing on the playing field, it just hoarded the scraps and cried poor mouth. Dolphins, Heat, Marlins, Panthers, Hurricanes, all of them. Listen to people within the organization. They always claim they can barely make ends meet. Why THE F does Miami keep creating new teams if it can't make ends meet?!
No fam, the ends are meeting like an Indian pow wow on peyote. That sht is a lie. 30million alone in acc network money. Merchandise sales and no maintenance on a rented stadium **** yeah the ends are getting together and making babies. Not to mention the 20 million cmr left that was already allocated for his salary.
But the investors don’t want W’s they want Benjamins. The bot doesn’t want W’s they want Benjamin’s and as long as the acc keeps cutting that check it’s cool and the pressure can’t get to their ocean front penthouses or homes in Jupiter island.

For the first time I’m actually saying build a **** stadium in tropical park!!!!
The bot will have no choice but to actually GAF about the product so they can get a **** return on their investment.

Advertisement
There is a direct/common denominator in all of these cases. Local politicians.

spots orgs typically don't make a profit. where do they make their money is in the worth of the franchise. when they sell, they make everything and some back.

Advertisement
Hot take, I attended probably 20 Marlins games at the ole pro player and 2 games at the new ballpark, but haven’t been in 3 years. I prefer pro player. Baseball should be played outside and I hate the vibe of the new park.

The athletic department not only doesn’t understand football but it also doesn’t understand the demographic or the fan base.
If there is one thing that can turn fans away it’s mistrust. I recall playing stick ball in a container lot with my fellow Marines in freaking 1993 and talking mad sht about how the Marlins we’re gonna win so many championships that it would make yankee fans move to Florida. I said “do you know how many baseball fans there are in Miami”? That stadium is gonna be crazy!!!!

Well it almost happened. And what did the team end up doing? Take advantage of the fan base for profit and trade everyone. Then by whatever baseball gods miracle we won another one. Attendance despite that horrible stadium for baseball was pretty good crowd. And then……they did it again and traded everyone.
They had a good farm system that provided great talent………for the entire league cause we wouldn’t pay our home grown players.

Then they straight up ski masked the county into using tax dollars for the new stadium on Holy Ground.
By then it was too late and not even the Cuban Born pitcher could fill the seats. The Marlins, despite the stadium, despite the knowledgeable and baseball savvy and loving fan base within walking distance didn’t trust the people running the show and won’t show up. Not even the world’s best bachelor Derek Jeter can make anyone go to that very nice and modern stadium. The Marlins are 3 years in a row the lowest home attendance in the league.
Why? Cause you alienated a fan base for profit and refused to keep the talent here.

The ACC is corporate welfare to this athletic department and it shows by their apathetic efforts in wanting to win at anything except suckering loyal fans into buying their product.
The uva game was depressing not only for on the field performance but by attendance standards. That wasn’t a normal Thursday night home crowd. It was depleted and demoralized.
I expect everything to get worse unless what should’ve happened when the clock hit zero during Michigan state doesn’t happen soon.

They are literally either being strong armed into keeping manny and Blake or just want the entire football program to go away cause we’re too annoying. This is not the way you take care of a program. This is not what you do to the “student athletes” that you say you are there to represents

This marriage of Blake and manny and the UM football program is broken beyond repair. And just like in real failed marriages it’s the kids who suffer the most.

marlins will never consistently draw. its a bad market for baseball. the issue with the new stadium is that it actually alienated a decent amount of Broward and Palm Beach fans (it doesn't matter who your fanbase is if the money isn't there to spend it on sports).

Samson goes on lebatard every week and is pretty honest about their time w the Marlins so he goes into a lot of it

Hot take, I attended probably 20 Marlins games at the ole pro player and 2 games at the new ballpark, but haven’t been in 3 years. I prefer pro player. Baseball should be played outside and I hate the vibe of the new park.

its just not a good market honestly. Miami for all sports outside of the fins (tho in recent years the attendance has dipped considerably) is very fair-weather. its an event town and no matter who the team is, they will draw if its an event game. its why we can do big events very well but aren't going to be the every day or every week type sports city.

I believe it is a myth that there are legions of hardcore baseball fans in South Florida, or the whole state for that matter. The state produces scores of top-notch players, but that doesn't mean people give a **** about MLB.

Additionally, the demographic of baseball fans skews older. Many had fixed allegiances before 1993. While some migrated to fish fandom, I'm willing to bet that's a small minority. I can't see too many long term Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals fans just switching like that.

The Marlins had to capture my age group, say 31-37 year olds now (I'll be 35 in December) who didn't have a fixed allegiance yet. They only made the playoffs twice,winning two titles, but then issuing a fire sale.

They fleeced the taxpayer and destroyed the Orange Bowl.

All of this was also occurring as baseball is decidedly less popular among this age demographic.

I grew up in West Palm Beach. Soccer is far more popular than baseball with people my age from South Florida.

I can't even imagine how few Marlins fans there must be among Gen Z. They needed to do everything right just to compete for fan attention.

What you see is the fruit of doing everything wrong.

/rant

Advertisement
Really bringing the Heat into this? They are praised for their organizational culture and their development of players.

They are the antithesis of the rest of the organizations. In a town where baseball and football rule, they managed to make basketball the most popular to attend.

Really bringing the Heat into this? They are praised for their organizational culture and their development of players.

They are the antithesis of the rest of the organizations. In a town where baseball and football rule, they managed to make basketball the most popular to attend.
You must not remember the down times.

Advertisement
You must not remember the down times.
Was not around. But I think the last 20 year sample size shows they do things the right way- the rest of the league sure thinks so.

I feel Hard Rock stadium is built on an old indian burial ground.

Fins havent sniffed anything in 34 years since moving there and of course our Canes
Joe Robbie Stadium was built on land that was commonly referred to by locals as, The Ponderosa. The area known for it's vast span of no man's land was once littered with stolen cars, dead bodies and yes, American Indian artifacts. Rumor has it the area was once an Indian Buriel ground. That was the word long before Joe Robbie ever pooled his money together to buy some of the cheapest land around. So you may be right. Ya never know.

Go Canes!!!

Son Life was underrated for baseball. Enjoyed many summer nights in the RF fish tank for $6.

First fire sale happened when the Marlins didn’t draw well after buying a World Series team. It was never going to be a big baseball market. This still ruined any chance of garnering a decent fan base

Advertisement
Back