Flores out as Dolphins coach

Ross saying he won't be the guy that pulls Harbaugh from Michigan was idiotic. Does it matter if some other organization pulls Harbaugh from Michigan then? I highly doubt you see Harbaugh in Michigan next season. And at that point, you see a potential upgrade go over to another NFL team.

But I've been skeptical on the Phins, and have lost hope on them years ago. Things won't change until Ross sells the team. They've made the playoffs maybe once or twice since he owned the team, with zero playoff wins.
Ross has totally lost the base and doesn't even realize it.

Advertisement
Hiring proven failure Mike Tannenbaum was a horrendous idea.

There was overwhelming evidence that he had no business as a football GM or anywhere near personnel decisions.

Ross hired the guy anyway.

I'm surprised to see anyone defending that hire, of all of them.
I don't think he really understands what he's writing as he's writing it and then doesn't realize he ends up way far away from what he started writing in the first place.... It's kinda weird

Not a Phins fan, but this was a really bad firing, he earned at the very least another year.

The Phins are cursing themselves by thinking the grass is gonna be greener on the other side.

I don’t think Miami gets Jim Harbaugh, I think Harbaugh will go to either the Bears or Raiders.

Yall (Phins fans) better hope yall find a high level offensive guy, because otherwise yall are gonna be stuck with poor leadership who will not hire the right guy.
We done no hope for the fins

Advertisement
We done no hope for the fins
Screen_Shot_2022_01_07_at_6.59.22_PM.0.png

I like Flo, but he made 3 terrible OC hires in a row.

He’s mismanaged the develop of his young QB and was at odds with him from the moment he arrived ultimately setting up this showdown.

But even with all that I knew he was doomed when he promoted two co-OCs with little to no track record, When he had a blank check from Ross that he could use to hire anyone that was willing to work for him.

He’s a good coach will probably land on his feet hopefully he’s learned from this experience.
How’s Godsey a bad OC hire? We were in almost every game with a talentless offense. Some of you need a serious reality check.

This is exactly why I stopped caring about professional sports franchises probably about 20 years ago. I still follow the NFL, the games are often incredible, but why would someone invest their time and money and heart into an organization that is just a business trying to make money and that often times is run by rich fan boys with no ******* clue what they are doing.

I prefer to watch the games more dispassionately and just admire the greatness of people like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Belicheck, etc.

Hard to get this firing. Seems just loopy.
It's true, and I blame myself for continuing to follow them.

Advertisement
So all the positives were negated apparently by the fact that Flores “doesn’t work well with others”?

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that said trouble with others wasn’t detected during the interview and screening process 3 years ago when Flores was hired.

Ross either knew it and ignored it/thought he could change him. Or he had no clue about Flores’s personality habits working with others which would probably be an even bigger failure. Either way, it’s just another huge egg on Ross’s face. He’s in over his head and is in the very bottom tier quality of ownership in the entire NFL.

Wish the absolute best for Coach Flo, hope he lands a HC or DC job and goes and wins a super bowl.

Hiring proved failure Mike Tannenbaum was a horrendous idea.

There was overwhelming evidence that he had no business as a football GM or anywhere near personnel decisions.

Ross hired the guy anyway.

I'm surprised to see anyone defending that hire, of all of them.
I wasn’t defending Tannenbaum. I verbatim said he was "one of the worst people to execute that idea," as in Tannenbaum was and is an imbecile. I was defending the idea of hiring a CEO or president of the team. He is not in Miami and is an absent owner. He needs someone in that role to relay what is going on if he is not able to figure out Grier was a bigger problem than Flores and what problems need to be fixed.

Advertisement
I wasn’t defending Tannenbaum. I verbatim said he was "one of the worst people to execute that idea," as in Tannenbaum was and is an imbecile. I was defending the idea of hiring a CEO or president of the team. He is not in Miami and is an absent owner. He needs someone in that role to relay what is going on if he is not able to figure out Grier was a bigger problem than Flores and what problems need to be fixed.
Ok, now I understand, as it read very differently to me.

Ross has totally lost the base and doesn't even realize it.
The team needs to be sold to a competent, younger owner. Fresh blood, fresh perspective. This team has been on rinse, repeat for too long, not sure if he’d recognize luck if it hit him in the face.

Ok, now I understand, as it read very differently to me.
To be clearer... Ross was the worst person to execute the hiring of a president, CEO or really anything else to do with an NFL franchise. Tanenbaum was the worst person to hire for that role and just about everything he touched at any of his stops turned to ****. It is almost incredible with the number of coaches, GMs, football czars, etc. that not a single one worked out. Law of averages would have had one of them be the right person to make some of these decisions.

Advertisement
I like Flo, but he made 3 terrible OC hires in a row.

He’s mismanaged the develop of his young QB and was at odds with him from the moment he arrived ultimately setting up this showdown.

But even with all that I knew he was doomed when he promoted two co-OCs with little to no track record, When he had a blank check from Ross that he could use to hire anyone that was willing to work for him.

He’s a good coach will probably land on his feet hopefully he’s learned from this experience.
and not just this, he also badly mismanaged the offensive line his entire tenure. he cycled through a bunch of coaches w/ that position group and coming into this year was shuffling players all over the place from training camp to halfway through the season. Had Eichenberg playing RT, then LG, then LT for instance. Flores is a pretty good head coach, obv a pretty good to great defensive coach, but dude just has no idea what to do w/ offense and in this era of the NFL you can't succeed that way as a head coach. The best case scenario is you're Pete Carroll and you get a transcendent QB talent like Russell Wilson and get to a few Super Bowls, but once he got off his rookie contract things in Seattle have not been that great and the offensive side of the ball has been a total mess there for years, hiring horrible OCs, feuding w/ his QB etc.

bottom line is you can succeed as a defensive head coach (Belichick, McDermott, Vrabel), you can even succeed as a conservative head coach (Shanahan and McVay despite their offensive genius reputations are pretty conservative when it comes to 4th down & FG situations). but you have to hire a good offensive coordinator and get out of his way and let him run an offense, or you have to be a offensive wizard playcaller yourself. you can't be a defensive minded, conservative head coach who constantly has his offense in disarray. I don't care who the Dolphins QB is, the way Flores wants to play, you're never going to compete in the AFC w/ teams like KC, Buffalo, Cincy etc who want to put up 35 points every game.

Advertisement
Back