Flogg the Dead Horse, Haith Revisited

SmokeyRone

All-ACC
Purgatory
Lets get nostalgic. To the credit of this board, there were NO "Haith" Bitterenders like we suffered with Radio and Folden. (except probably Bomb?)

Most everyone celebrated and toasted Mizzou when they did what Shalala would NEVER have done, saved us from Haith.

Lets think back. I like to take credit for predicting Haith would destroy Mizzou's program, a top 4-5 program when he took over, in two seasons. But, alas, so did like almost everyone of you as well.

If there was a apologist (besides Bomb) who predicting Missouri won this battle, I remember him not.

So, lets all celebrate our continued good fortune. A rebuilding year, a REAL rebuilding year, in a TOUGH ACC conference, the most solid ever, maybe, from top to bottom, and WE are in the TOURNEY, and actually thinking about how we will beat top seed Kansas in the second round!

We owe it all to stupid Missouri and their stupid State!

Advertisement
Lets get nostalgic. To the credit of this board, there were NO "Haith" Bitterenders like we suffered with Radio and Folden. (except probably Bomb?)

Most everyone celebrated and toasted Mizzou when they did what Shalala would NEVER have done, saved us from Haith.

Lets think back. I like to take credit for predicting Haith would destroy Mizzou's program, a top 4-5 program when he took over, in two seasons. But, alas, so did like almost everyone of you as well.

If there was a apologist (besides Bomb) who predicting Missouri won this battle, I remember him not.

So, lets all celebrate our continued good fortune. A rebuilding year, a REAL rebuilding year, in a TOUGH ACC conference, the most solid ever, maybe, from top to bottom, and WE are in the TOURNEY, and actually thinking about how we will beat top seed Kansas in the second round!

We owe it all to stupid Missouri and their stupid State!

[video=youtube;3kVGtqp7usw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kVGtqp7usw[/video]

Haith somehow always did decent in the ACC tourney, quite a few wins, with a lot being upsets. Though his teams often also blew big leads and squandered potential upsets. I'm not going to look up the years, but once against Boston College in OT (when they were good) and once against UNC comes to mind.

He also did decent in the 2008 tournament. Though we were losing to St. Mary's at the half, we came back in the 2nd half convincingly and won, and we made a late run against against a very good Texas team. Of course, we can thank McClinton for that more than Haith.

Now, besides what I wrote above, I think Haith was a horrible coach, not to mention he was a cheater. We will forever be grateful to Mizzou for taking him off our hands. Maybe they felt guilty that Perry Clark gift-wrapped the 2002 tourney game to them and they owed us one.

It was evident from the start the Haith was clueless as a coach. He was a glorified recruiter and that is it. McClinton is my favorite UM player of all time but if he never came here Haith would have been fired years before he actually left. He made up for all of Haith's coaching and was the reason we were competitive. Add that he also cheated and he is the worst coach in the history of UM sports since I've been alive.

Advertisement
Haith somehow always did decent in the ACC tourney, quite a few wins, with a lot being upsets. Though his teams often also blew big leads and squandered potential upsets. I'm not going to look up the years, but once against Boston College in OT (when they were good) and once against UNC comes to mind.

He also did decent in the 2008 tournament. Though we were losing to St. Mary's at the half, we came back in the 2nd half convincingly and won, and we made a late run against against a very good Texas team. Of course, we can thank McClinton for that more than Haith.

Now, besides what I wrote above, I think Haith was a horrible coach, not to mention he was a cheater. We will forever be grateful to Mizzou for taking him off our hands. Maybe they felt guilty that Perry Clark gift-wrapped the 2002 tourney game to them and they owed us one.

Haith was a guy that lasted awhile, but never had a team that truly mattered, outside of the one tournament season. I got sick and tired of watching Miami give games away every year, just because Haith had no idea how to break a press. Miami would blow 2-3 games a year by being completely lost on inbound plays. What's funny is that Haith was bailed out by Mizzou, because anyone with an IQ above 70 knew that his seat was blazing, after Miami blew 5 big second half leads in one season. Basketball was seen as a sideshow, a lot of people believed that Miami was doomed to be a mediocre program that sometimes made an impact. L has shown that Miami basketball can be a significant enterprise, if it is managed as such.

By the way, Smokey. It's not the University President that fires the coach, it's the Athletic Director. So, take it up with Dee(RIP), Hocutt, or Eichorst.

Perry Clark was even worse than Haith. At least Haith was a solid recruiter.

Allowing Leonard Hamilton to basically gift his position to a buddy when he left for Washington was pure idiocy. Unfortunately, despite the fact that UM could have thrown a rock blindfolded and hit a better coach than Clark, they likely would have gone cheap, unproven and unknown anyway.

UM

Perry Clark was even worse than Haith. At least Haith was a solid recruiter.

Allowing Leonard Hamilton to basically gift his position to a buddy when he left for Washington was pure idiocy. Unfortunately, despite the fact that UM could have thrown a rock blindfolded and hit a better coach than Clark, they likely would have gone cheap, unproven and unknown anyway.

UM

Funny thing is that Clark wasn't the first choice of the department, FYI. That was Rick Pitino, who was pretty much on his way, until someone blabbed about the prospective hire(One of Ham's assistants, who knew he wouldn't be retained), and that was enough to scare Pitino off, especially seeing that he had a year left on his Boston contract. He ended up resigning less than a year later from the Celtics, and Louisville snapped him up. Miami settled for Clark, and we all saw how that story ended.

Advertisement
Yeah, we know the Pitino story. We'd either still be on probation or we'd have gotten the death penalty.

It was evident from the start the Haith was clueless as a coach. He was a glorified recruiter and that is it. McClinton is my favorite UM player of all time but if he never came here Haith would have been fired years before he actually left. He made up for all of Haith's coaching and was the reason we were competitive. Add that he also cheated and he is the worst coach in the history of UM sports since I've been alive.

McClinton single handedly made Haith millions of dollars. It's a **** shame that Haith benefited far more financially from Jack than Jack benefited himself. Without Jack recruiting himself here, Haith would have been fired after 4 years at Miami (FL) and would have never gotten a major conference HC job again.

Yeah, we know the Pitino story. We'd either still be on probation or we'd have gotten the death penalty.[/QUOTE

Miami would have most likely also gotten some good March runs out of it too. Just remember, the ethos of the Miami athletic department also would have limited what things Rick could have done. It's not an accident that he was able to do this crap at Louisville, a school who re-hired Bobby Petrino.

Yeah, we know the Pitino story. We'd either still be on probation or we'd have gotten the death penalty.[/QUOTE

Miami would have most likely also gotten some good March runs out of it too. Just remember, the ethos of the Miami athletic department also would have limited what things Rick could have done. It's not an accident that he was able to do this crap at Louisville, a school who re-hired Bobby Petrino.

Petrino.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back