Off-Topic Flight Cancellations

WeBallinBoyz

Whisper "It Just Means More" Again Daddy
Premium
This is becoming absolutely ridiculous; I’m not sure if anyone here works in the Airline Industry, but I have had now two flights on back to back days cancelled just a few hours before my scheduled departure. Apparently a combination of pilots retiring early, quitting because of vaccine mandates, and substantial layoffs.

There’s been nearly 800 flights cancelled across multiple airlines the last 48 hours, not sure if anyone else was/is affected by this. It’s infuriating.

Advertisement
As we speak, my daughter has been at Heathrow for many hours; her flight was cancelled and they are trying to book her on another flight.

I can only imagine my rage if it ****ed with my vacation. Work/company trips would be annoying but less rageful.

What airline?
American; apparently storms in Dallas also screwed everyone over

Delta got it worse I think; over 600 flights cancelled in the past week or so. This all stems from a combination of pilots retiring early or refusing to get the vaccine, plus massive layoffs during COVID and airlines scheduling all these flights, only to still have crew and pilot shortages.

Advertisement
As we speak, my daughter has been at Heathrow for many hours; her flight was cancelled and they are trying to book her on another flight.
Oh god that's nightmare fuel; my family and I are supposed to head to Mykonos for two weeks in mid July, and we connect through Heathrow...

Ironically, there is an article in the journal today on how a number of business travelers are choosing to drive instead of flying.

Advertisement
There a reflection of the current administration it’s like that in everything it touches.

MIDTERMS
My largest client is in the industry and they were hit incredibly hard during the pandemic... it was rough. Obviously the federal government took the necessary action to keep the lights on with nearly $50B in bailouts. As someone else pointed out, the early retirement incentives and layoffs (both vaccine related and cost cutting casualties) have left the industry short staffed. If you haven't had a flight cancelled in the last 3-4 months, you should consider playing the lottery, within the last week over 10,000 flights were cancelled in back to back days.

IMO this is a really simple issue... the problem started when the airlines underestimated the consumer demand for flights in summer 22, and it's going to take them 6+ months to dig themselves out of this hole. Compounding our plight is that because Mayor Pete (Transportation Secretary) is planning on running for president in 2024, he has no desire to take on a powerful industry and demand that they fix things sooner. I feel for those that have to fly for work or have had family vacations on the books, best of luck to you...

My largest client is in the industry and they were hit incredibly hard during the pandemic... it was rough. Obviously the federal government took the necessary action to keep the lights on with nearly $50B in bailouts. As someone else pointed out, the early retirement incentives and layoffs (both vaccine related and cost cutting casualties) have left the industry short staffed. If you haven't had a flight cancelled in the last 3-4 months, you should consider playing the lottery, within the last week over 10,000 flights were cancelled in back to back days.

IMO this is a really simple issue... the problem started when the airlines underestimated the consumer demand for flights in summer 22, and it's going to take them 6+ months to dig themselves out of this hole. Compounding our plight is that because Mayor Pete (Transportation Secretary) is planning on running for president in 2024, he has no desire to take on a powerful industry and demand that they fix things sooner. I feel for those that have to fly for work or have had family vacations on the books, best of luck to you...
It really confuses me how so many airlines underestimated consumer demand as you indicated in your post...it's spot on. Did they not think everyone and their mother would want to travel once the pandemic was essentially under control?

It really confuses me how so many airlines underestimated consumer demand as you indicated in your post...it's spot on. Did they not think everyone and their mother would want to travel once the pandemic was essentially under control?
Hindsight is 20-20 and while it's infuriating to have a flight cancelled last minute, I try to remember that demand for domestic flights was at one point down 98% from pre-pandemic levels. Given that, I think it is understandable that their estimates for demand were on the conservative side. What I can't forgive is the response from our administration, they are hemorrhaging in polls and yet aren't willing to take action even as we head into the summer knowing that things are on the verge of getting worse on so many levels.

Mayor Pete… another in the long list of unqualified cabinet members.

He not only has done Jack except talk about racist roads, but during the supply chain crisis he took two months paternity leave. U can’t make this stuff up!

But regarding the cancelled flights a lot of it has to do with trickle down effects of the Covid mandates (which caused early retirements) I would assume

Advertisement
Hindsight is 20-20 and while it's infuriating to have a flight cancelled last minute, I try to remember that demand for domestic flights was at one point down 98% from pre-pandemic levels. Given that, I think it is understandable that their estimates for demand were on the conservative side. What I can't forgive is the response from our administration, they are hemorrhaging in polls and yet aren't willing to take action even as we head into the summer knowing that things are on the verge of getting worse on so many levels.
I’ve said it before and it’s worth repeating… this administration is the most reactive and not proactive admin ever. And most of the time they aren’t reactive until their buddies in MSM start criticizing them which is even further down the road into crisis mode.

the problem started when the airlines underestimated the consumer demand for flights in summer 22
A) they are morans for not forecasting this but it begs the question if they didn’t why did they build their schedules then to this extent if they didn’t have the staffing in place?

B) in their defense the COVID FUD disseminated hourly is a good excuse

Mayor Pete… another in the long list of unqualified cabinet members.

He not only has done Jack except talk about racist roads, but during the supply chain crisis he took two months paternity leave. U can’t make this stuff up!

But regarding the cancelled flights a lot of it has to do with trickle down effects of the Covid mandates (which caused early retirements) I would assume
People used to wonder if the Secretary of Transportation actually did anything. Between the ports, truckers, and airlines, I'd say that question has been answered. Good people make a job look easy. Mayor Pete showed that to be true.

Advertisement
This is becoming absolutely ridiculous; I’m not sure if anyone here works in the Airline Industry, but I have had now two flights on back to back days cancelled just a few hours before my scheduled departure. Apparently a combination of pilots retiring early, quitting because of vaccine mandates, and substantial layoffs.

There’s been nearly 800 flights cancelled across multiple airlines the last 48 hours, not sure if anyone else was/is affected by this. It’s infuriating.
Same thing happened to me. I spoke to a flight attendant who said the airline is selling tickets on flight they know they will cancel. She also said it’s gonna get worse.

Same thing happened to me. I spoke to a flight attendant who said the airline is selling tickets on flight they know they will cancel. She also said it’s gonna get worse.

Attachments

• 2DE033CA-D246-4890-8539-12C1E0E6C344.gif
    2DE033CA-D246-4890-8539-12C1E0E6C344.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

The airlines are doing it on purpose. They overbook knowing they do not have the staff to accommodate all of these flights. They just take your money, fly what they can, and figure it out later.

Probably something Pete Buttegieg should fix, but he doesn't do anything about anything, so there you go. Sorry brother.

A) they are morans for not forecasting this but it begs the question if they didn’t why did they build their schedules then to this extent if they didn’t have the staffing in place?

B) in their defense the COVID FUD disseminated hourly is a good excuse
They definitely bear some responsibility, but as I stated in a follow up post I think it's understandable that they would underestimate demand given how far it fell during the pandemic (98% down). These are public companies we are talking about, obviously they bear responsibility to their shareholders so it's not really a shock that they've taken full advantage of the bailouts. In my opinion the government should be threatening them with fines if they don't improve upon the cancellations

Advertisement
Back