Flagler exhibition 10/30 7p ACCNX

People will find anything to complain about
Was thinking it woulda been nice to have a little stiffer test than FIU and Flagler before getting thrown into the fire against Louisville next week.

Another recent "closed scrimmage" had Villanova flying down to North Carolina to play the Tar Heels. Plenty of at least mid-level schools we could have played. The "old model" of just scrimmaging local schools seems to be becoming a thing of the past. But ... maybe confidence building is equally important in which case, I hope we accomplished that!

Advertisement

A few game recaps.

My key points from Coach L's post game press conference.

1. 3 point defense is a work in progress. Blame the freshman but it is a team problem. They should be better by January.
2. Rodney Miller is what Coach L thought he would be. I think he needs to rebound better but he is producing something positive.
3. Freshman showed glimpses per Coach L. 29 points is a good glimpse. There defense should improve. January is my timetable.
4. Kam McGusty is very versatile. I agree.
5. 10 total team assist needs to improve. I agree. 16 plus should be the goal for every game. 20 would be great.
6. Defensive matchups was the reason Deng played more in the 2nd half than Rodney.
7. Lykes, Gak, Brooks and Stone did not practice earlier this week. Need more bodies but 2 scholarships are open.
8. Coach L loves both walk-ons.
9. Thursday is an off day for the team. The coaches should fly to New York to visit Andre Curbelo before he commits on Friday.
10. Season success is on 3 freshman and Deng Gak. I somewhat agree but Sam also has to score.
11. Coach L supports players getting more compensation.

My reactions to the post-game press conference

1. Sitting out last season was good for Rodney. Long overdue.
2. Both excited to start at the U after a year off.
3. Both agree that the freshman are talented but they need to improve defensively.
4. Rest and recovery are important as they prepare for Louisville on Tuesday.
5. 3 point defense will get key to defense playing better.
6. Scoring will not be a problem. I agree. 86 points without Stone playing and Sam going scoreless is impressive.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back