Fixing Canes Football

Canegrad89

Recruit
The UNC game was embarrassing (especially on Defense). If you're being realistic, you'd conclude that it's actually surprising that the youth at LB and lack of talent at the DB position (with 1-2 exceptions) didn't manifest earlier in the year. Losing two highly experienced LBs last year was bound to hurt us big time. Shaq wasn't Ray Lewis but he was highly experienced, intelligent and pretty physical. He didn't get caught in the wash on every single play and there's no way UNC would have run for over 500 yards with last year's LBs playing.

We have some young talent at LB but they need to get much stronger, play more physical and gain experience. Not having top notch experienced LBs ready to go after Shaq and Pinck's departures cost us big time in the UNC game. Our lack of talent at the DB position was also exposed. Couch will be a baller for us. A couple of the others are pretty good (Bolden in particular earlier this year).

The main issues the program has are:

1) Lack of elite talent at the LB and DB positions.
2) Not enough elite talent on the DL (Jaelan is very good and Nesta has played hard but he isn't Wilfork or Cortez Kennedy). Roche is pretty solid overall but had a poor game against UNC.
3) We lack elite talent on OL as well.
4) We have a major talent deficit compared to 1999, 2000 and 2001. Coaching is important for sure but Recruiting is the thing in CFB. We've got to recruit more elite talent.
5) The coaches on D are not up to snuff. Look at the stout coaching talent Butch had around him at Miami. I think Manny is a very good DC. His staff on D is nowhere near as good as Butch's was when he was here. Not even close.

Recruiting (and changes to the Defensive staff) will likely dictate the success or failure of the Manny Diaz era.

Advertisement
Elite Talent

Spinning girls.gif

I agree on all points. Our talents is still underwhelming. Our wr corp is still made up of journeymen. Not one starter will be playing on Sundays. I said earlier that the OL isn't going to go from worst to first in one year. It hasn't. We're still below average.

I have come to accept the fact that we are good. Not elite, not great, not very good. Just good enough to beat average teams. The rest of the games we won were on the guts and effort King. Who also is just good I might add. He is better than the guys before him but he isn't really close to a Justin Fields or even Sam Howell and that may be the problem.

We won't ever be back until we get the elite qb's and skill players to take us to the next level.

Advertisement
The UNC game was embarrassing (especially on Defense). If you're being realistic, you'd conclude that it's actually surprising that the youth at LB and lack of talent at the DB position (with 1-2 exceptions) didn't manifest earlier in the year. Losing two highly experienced LBs last year was bound to hurt us big time. Shaq wasn't Ray Lewis but he was highly experienced, intelligent and pretty physical. He didn't get caught in the wash on every single play and there's no way UNC would have run for over 500 yards with last year's LBs playing.

We have some young talent at LB but they need to get much stronger, play more physical and gain experience. Not having top notch experienced LBs ready to go after Shaq and Pinck's departures cost us big time in the UNC game. Our lack of talent at the DB position was also exposed. Couch will be a baller for us. A couple of the others are pretty good (Bolden in particular earlier this year).

The main issues the program has are:

1) Lack of elite talent at the LB and DB positions.
2) Not enough elite talent on the DL (Jaelan is very good and Nesta has played hard but he isn't Wilfork or Cortez Kennedy). Roche is pretty solid overall but had a poor game against UNC.
3) We lack elite talent on OL as well.
4) We have a major talent deficit compared to 1999, 2000 and 2001. Coaching is important for sure but Recruiting is the thing in CFB. We've got to recruit more elite talent.
5) The coaches on D are not up to snuff. Look at the stout coaching talent Butch had around him at Miami. I think Manny is a very good DC. His staff on D is nowhere near as good as Butch's was when he was here. Not even close.

Recruiting (and changes to the Defensive staff) will likely dictate the success or failure of the Manny Diaz era.
My opinion Manny is not a good DC. Mack Brown fired him from Texas!! Why? His defense was big 12 record setting bad. Thats now two schools where Manny's defense has set the record for being terrible. Miami defense looks good against inferior teams. In big games and against really good offenses Manny get eaten alive over and over.

Advertisement
Advertisement
steve harvey smh GIF

still stunned/ shocked../ WE NEED CHANGE especially on the defensive side of the football! ...( COACHES, PLAYERS )
😳🥺😭😡😡🤔😔😄😳🌴🙌🏿🙏🏾

Advertisement
We have more money and talent, but the UCF job is a better job? Doesn’t Heupel make less than $2.5MM? That and UCF being in an inferior conference. But that job is better right now!
That schools administration actually cares about football and they have one of the best ADs in the country.

Advertisement
Back