Five HS football matchups to watch tonight in SoFla

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
After a two week hiatus, high school football is back in south Florida. Here are some particular matchups that I’m looking forward to watching play out on Friday night.

Nesta Silvera vs. Sebastian Sainterling
American Heritage vs. Chaminade-Madonna on ESPNU at 7 p.m.

Miami defensive tackle commit Nesta Silvera has been tearing it up this season, showing why he’s as highly rated as he is. Silvera tends to love the spotlight and the nationally-televised game should give him some extra juice tonight against USF center commit Sebastian Sainterling. At 6-2, 350+, Sainterling is one of the bigger interior linemen that Silvera will face this season.

Xavier Williams vs. Patrick Surtain, Jr. and Tyson Campbell

In the same game, there will be an explosive matchup on the perimeter between Bama WR commit Xavier Williams and one of Patrick Surtain, Jr. and Tyson Campbell. I’d imagine that both five-star corners will get their crack at Williams at some point during the game. Williams tends to out muscle most opposing defensive backs, but it will be interesting to see what he produces against the biggest, most elite cornerback tandem in the country.

Don Chaney, Jr. vs. Columbus defense
Columbus vs. Belen at Tropical Park - 7 p.m.

This is a matchup I’ve had circled for a while. 2020 RB Don Chaney, Jr. will be the best player to ever come out of Belen and he is looking to lead the Wolverines to their first win against Columbus ever. It will be an extremely tall order against a stout Columbus defense, which is led by 2019 DL Jeramy Passmore up front. This will be one of the better groups that Chaney faces this season so I’m interested to see how he fares. The sophomore running back is currently leading Dade County in rushing with 354 yards and 5 touchdowns on 42 carries. We will see if he can keep it going on Friday night.

Central run game vs. IMG defense
Miami Central at IMG - 7 p.m.

To put things in perspective, Central currently has 3 of the top 10 rushers in Dade County between James Cook, Amari Daniels, and Lexington Joseph. The Rockets have already proven themselves against of the toughest schedules in the country with wins versus Chaminade-Madonna, Booker T. Washington, and Las Vegas Bishop Gorman. The road does not get any easier though beginning tonight against IMG Academy on the road. Central has a legitimate chance to win this game, but it will need to be their ground attack that carries them.

Daniel Richardson vs. Tutu Atwell
Booker T. Washington vs. Miami Northwestern - 7 p.m. at Traz Powell Stadium

Although this does not classify as a head-to-head battle necessarily, it’s still an interesting QB battle between two of the most decorated signal-callers in Dade County history. Atwell does not get enough praise as a passer in my opinion; mix that with his feet and he’s pound-for-pound the most unstoppable player in south Florida high school football right now — the same sort of impact that Quinton Flowers had at Jackson. On the other side, Richardson needs to play steady and under control for the Tornadoes to really be able to push Northwestern. His 5-interception outing against American Heritage earlier this season dampened their chances in that game, but then he had a much better performance against Central in a tightly-contested matchup.

Advertisement
Looking forward to the week when Palmetto gets some love on CIS. They're about to roll Gables tonight and open some eyes when they win at the Ridge next week.

This is a matchup I’ve had circled for a while. 2020 RB Don Chaney, Jr. will be the best player to ever come out of Belen and he is looking to lead the Wolverines to their first win against Columbus ever. It will be an extremely tall order against a stout Columbus defense, which is led by 2019 DL Jeramy Passmore up front. This will be one of the better groups that Chaney faces this season so I’m interested to see how he fares. The sophomore running back is currently leading Dade County in rushing with 354 yards and 5 touchdowns on 42 carries. We will see if he can keep it going on Friday night.

Any other D1 prospects in this one?

Advertisement
Looking forward to the week when Palmetto gets some love on CIS. They're about to roll Gables tonight and open some eyes when they win at the Ridge next week.

Palmetto Class of '13, played football for the panthers too.

I was Class of '99, Coach Manasco was two years ahead of me. Good to see it's an alum that's finally turned that program around. We used to compete for playoffs and churn out D1 guys every year. He's got alot of good talent this year, would love to see them win the District.

Advertisement

From Columbus:

2018 WR Tyler Harrell (Fastest runner on the state champ 4*100)
2019 CB Dee Ford (3 star corner 247)
2019 WR Kalani Norris (P5 talent, but as of now, I wouldn't take him at Miami)
2019 TE Garv Cooper (FWIH, former basketball player that's new to football. Very athletic)
2020 WR/CB Xzavier Henderson (Track star)

Next week they play Miami high for what will likely be the district championship. Both teams are full of prospects.

I was Class of '99, Coach Manasco was two years ahead of me. Good to see it's an alum that's finally turned that program around. We used to compete for playoffs and churn out D1 guys every year. He's got alot of good talent this year, would love to see them win the District.

I played JV under Soderholm and Jackson. Not a very big guy (5'5'', 125) at the time so "retired" from football as a sophomore. Was competing to start at Will though, despite my size. Woulda been a liability out there but I was tough little mfer.

Advertisement

It is good to see schools like Palmetto get it together I graduated from Braden River in 09. I played when we were still a brand new school so the talent came rolling in slowly. Seems they have everything put together now

Advertisement

From Columbus:

2018 WR Tyler Harrell (Fastest runner on the state champ 4*100)
2019 CB Dee Ford (3 star corner 247)
2019 WR Kalani Norris (P5 talent, but as of now, I wouldn't take him at Miami)
2019 TE Garv Cooper (FWIH, former basketball player that's new to football. Very athletic)
2020 WR/CB Xzavier Henderson (Track star)

Next week they play Miami high for what will likely be the district championship. Both teams are full of prospects.

Why would you not take Kalani? Not finding fault and stating my opinion below, just curious what you think hinders him compared to others?

IMO, he is the smoothest route runner in South FL this year. Very good compliment to Fuller being bigger.

Gary Cooper has played football basically his whole life and every year at CCHS and still plays basketball

Palmetto for those commenting was headed to double OR vs Gables when lightning delay hit.

Gilbert Frierson playing very well

Advertisement
Back