Five basketball players from the state of Florida projected to be First Round draft picks in the NBA Draft

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Taylor Hendricks, Jett Howard and Brice Sensabaugh represent 5 kids from the state of Florida who are projected to be 1st round draft picks in the 2023 NBA draft.
All 5 were in the 2022 recruiting class and 4 of those guys are from South Florida. The 4 from South Florida are projected lottery picks.
Sensabaugh is from the Orlando, FL area.
I think this is a clear sign that the narrative about basketball in the State of Florida has officially changed.
Let's see on Thursday if the State of Florida really has 5 first round draft picks.

Advertisement

Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Taylor Hendricks, Jett Howard and Brice Sensabaugh represent 5 kids from the state of Florida who are projected to be 1st round draft picks in the 2023 NBA draft.
All 5 were in the 2022 recruiting class and 4 of those guys are from South Florida. The 4 from South Florida are projected lottery picks.
Sensabaugh is from the Orlando, FL area.
I think this is a clear sign that the narrative about basketball in the State of Florida has officially changed.
Let's see on Thursday if the State of Florida really has 5 first round draft picks.
This Djobet kid is from France but played in Florida. he might be the first kid Coach L has brought in from Florida since Larkin.

I've seen Wong in one mock draft going 2nd round to Charlotte. Have yet to see Miller mentioned. Anyone else have better news?

Advertisement
Officially, 4 kids from South Florida get picked on the top 11 of the 2022 NBA draft.
Amen Thompson #4 to Houston
Ausar Thompson #5 to Detroit
Taylor Hendricks #9 to Utah
Jett Howard #11 to Orlando

I wonder does this change the perception of in-state recruiting.

Officially, 4 kids from South Florida get picked on the top 11 of the 2022 NBA draft.

we had no shot at Howard. Hendricks should've been a cane imo - local kid you hit on imo and not let end up at UCF. The Thompson kids went pro (overtime elite) so no shot there as they wanted to earn money right away

we had no shot at Howard. Hendricks should've been a cane imo - local kid you hit on imo and not let end up at UCF. The Thompson kids went pro (overtime elite) so no shot there as they wanted to earn money right away
Agree with you on Jett. Howard was never coming here, as long as his dad was Michigan's HC.

No shot with Thompson twins because prior to signing their deals with Overtime, they weren't on Miami's radar.

As far was Hendricks is concerned, Johnny Dawkins and staff got on him early. Miami got on him late. Deciding factor was UCF taking his brother in a package deal.

Advertisement
Agree with you on Jett. Howard was never coming here, as long as his dad was Michigan's HC.

No shot with Thompson twins because prior to signing their deals with Overtime, they weren't on Miami's radar.

As far was Hendricks is concerned, Johnny Dawkins and staff got on him early. Miami got on him late. Deciding factor was UCF taking his brother in a package deal.
I would've given the package. Hendricks likely gets you over the top imo. oh well, anyways youre right about recruiting the area though.

I've noticed a difference in approach to in-state recruiting prior to this draft. Seems like this staff is making a concerted effort of identifying the in-state talent early and recruiting them. Hope it continues.

Last edited:
I would've given the package. Hendricks likely gets you over the top imo. oh well, anyways youre right about recruiting the area though.
There aren't many people who thought Hendricks was going to be a 1 and done guy coming out of high school. Not gonna lie I wouldn't have offered them a package deal, but you know what the say about hindsight being 20-20.

There aren't many people who thought Hendricks was going to be a 1 and done guy coming out of high school. Not gonna lie I wouldn't have offered them a package deal, but you know what the say about hindsight being 20-20.
yeah i read that i think he was even surprised he would be a 1 and done but either way good for SFL and good for him. the areas best draft class ever imo

Advertisement
How are the Thompson's much different than players attending IMG? Born and raised in Cali, came to Florida only because they could start HS at Pine Crest a year earlier than in the SF Bay area?

Lotta "mobility" these days in all HS sports. Was Jake Garcia a Georgia or Cali HS QB product?

yeah i read that i think he was even surprised he would be a 1 and done but either way good for SFL and good for him. the areas best draft class ever imo
Hands down best draft class in South Florida history, probably even for the entire state of Florida. Next year's NBA draft class has some potential as well. A number of Florida guys have a chance to be drafted, including a few from South Florida.

How are the Thompson's much different than players attending IMG? Born and raised in Cali, came to Florida only because they could start HS at Pine Crest a year earlier than in the SF Bay area?

Lotta "mobility" these days in all HS sports. Was Jake Garcia a Georgia or Cali HS QB product?

I don't think there's much of a comparison between the Thompson's and player attending schools like IMG, Montverde, DME, etc. For starters, the Thompson's did it for 4-5 years with their family in tow and if I remember correctly the main reason wasn't for them to get an early start on their HS careers. I believe it was a job related move for dad that brought them here. They moved everything to South Florida. Most players who attend these basketball factories do it solely for basketball and they do it for a year or two at most. Aside from that they're usually making the move down here on their own, while their families stay back home. But the biggest difference for me is that Thompson twins were no names prior to coming to South Florida. Those guys who go to the IMG's and Monteverde's of the world are top prospects when they're being recruiting there.

Advertisement
I don't think there's much of a comparison between the Thompson's and player attending schools like IMG, Montverde, DME, etc. For starters, the Thompson's did it for 4-5 years with their family in tow and if I remember correctly the main reason wasn't for them to get an early start on their HS careers. I believe it was a job related move for dad that brought them here. They moved everything to South Florida. Most players who attend these basketball factories do it solely for basketball and they do it for a year or two at most. Aside from that they're usually making the move down here on their own, while their families stay back home. But the biggest difference for me is that Thompson twins were no names prior to coming to South Florida. Those guys who go to the IMG's and Monteverde's of the world are top prospects when they're being recruiting there.
Good info. I think the mom didn't want to come to Florida when the move was first discussed within the family. At one pont, one of the twins and the mom mighta been staying in the East Bay out in Cali with the dad and the other kid moving to FL>

Thankfully, it all worked out to where no separation occurred. Those guys look fast as heck on the court. I'd hate to try and guard 'em. When I saw their film, even questioning the competition a bit, I could see right away why they went so high!

Good info. I think the mom didn't want to come to Florida when the move was first discussed within the family. At one pont, one of the twins and the mom mighta been staying in the East Bay out in Cali with the dad and the other kid moving to FL>

Thankfully, it all worked out to where no separation occurred. Those guys look fast as heck on the court. I'd hate to try and guard 'em. When I saw their film, even questioning the competition a bit, I could see right away why they went so high!
No doubt the twins are physically gifted and talented, but their parents had a plan. They stuck to it. Unfortunately, I’ve seen way too many times where it’s not always the case and parents become an impediment to their kids, particularly early on. Very happy for them that things are working out. Great kids! Their discipline and dedication will continue to take them far. I’ll definitely be pulling for them

No doubt the twins are physically gifted and talented, but their parents had a plan. They stuck to it. Unfortunately, I’ve seen way too many times where it’s not always the case and parents become an impediment to their kids, particularly early on. Very happy for them that things are working out. Great kids! Their discipline and dedication will continue to take them far. I’ll definitely be pulling for them
The whole family came off very well in their post-selection interview. As you say, seem to be great kids.

Advertisement
Back