FIU - A "Rival" ?

mdpcane

All-American
In an article about the upcoming CANES-FIU game, the Ft Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel called FIU a "RIVAL" !

Is the clown that wrote this kidding ? FIU is NOT NOW or EVER WILL BE a "RIVAL" of the Miami Hurricanes.

This is like calling a skinny 3rd-grader a "RIVAL" of Kate Upton ! :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

Advertisement
For Miami.. FIU is no rival

For FIU.. Miami is a rival because everyone on our team took the spot that they wanted. They'll treat it like a rivalry game but we'll just dominate.

For Miami.. FIU is no rival

For FIU.. Miami is a rival because everyone on our team took the spot that they wanted. They'll treat it like a rivalry game but we'll just dominate.

Well, our real rival is the Green Bay Packers

The universities themselves are geographic rivals being the biggest schools in Miami. But for football alone, not much of a rival.

Some FIU alum though (like my dad) say check back in "20 years" and FIU football will be on par with UM lol

Advertisement
The universities themselves are geographic rivals being the biggest schools in Miami. But for football alone, not much of a rival.

Some FIU alum though (like my dad) say check back in "20 years" and FIU football will be on par with UM lol

I don't think they're much of a rival as universities either. Two totally different schools entirely.

As for football, It's been a little over 20 years since UCF and USF started playing FBS (D-1) football and while they've put together some solid seasons, I wouldn't say either of them has reached the level of Florida's "big 3" yet.

In an article about the upcoming CANES-FIU game, the Ft Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel called FIU a "RIVAL" !

Is the clown that wrote this kidding ? FIU is NOT NOW or EVER WILL BE a "RIVAL" of the Miami Hurricanes.

This is like calling a skinny 3rd-grader a "RIVAL" of Kate Upton ! :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:
To be fair they'd probably has similar ****s.

Great now I have to clean the soda I just ejected out of my mouth onto my screen.

Advertisement

Does he mean like another 20 years? Because the first 20 did not do much to close the gap.

Does he mean like another 20 years? Because the first 20 did not do much to close the gap.

Yeah he's been saying 20 years for a few years now. Time frame never seems to get any closer. He roots for UM, he's just a wiseguy.

Edit: Actually when they first hired Butch it went down to 10 years. It has since gone back up to 20

Last edited:
IMHO, we have 2 blood rivals.

(Every other opponent is just a team we want to crush that week before moving on to the next)

Then again, I grew up in a home with a larger version of this flying in the front yard ...

61A636lBaVL._SX425_.jpg

:snoopfacepalm:

Giv

Give her 10 years....

Advertisement
Nothing for or against Florida International ... just as with USF, UCF, FAU, FAMU, Embry-Riddle, that new Catholic university near Immokalee, etc.

(Do like those Bethune-Cookman Wildcats, tho)

But if UM ever considers FIU a football rival, then we've got serious problems I'm not sure even Satan or Belichick could repair.

Yeah he's been saying 20 years for a few years now. Time frame never seems to get any closer. He roots for UM, he's just a wiseguy.

Edit: Actually when they first hired Butch it went down to 10 years. It has since gone back up to 20
So like how for the last 40 years the polar ice caps are going to melt in the next 10 years and submerge Miami?

Advertisement

Only way this happens is if FIU joins a Power 5 conference or the Group of 5 schools sue the NCAA or Power 5 schools for anti-trust or something like that. Otherwise, FIU's only hope for national relevance is to get 4 quality Power 5 OOC games each year and go at least 3-1 in those games and go undefeated in conference play (ala Boise State in the 2000's). Even with that kind of resume, I'm not sure the playoff committee would let them in.

That's what was said almost 20 years ago. Unless something fundamentally changes, there's just no way for that to happen, since Miami plays in the ACC and FIU plays in C-USA. Extend an ACC or SEC invite to FIU, and sure, I could see that happening, but that's not going to happen so just forget it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back