First Post: One Reason I Remain (Sort Of) Hopeful

Advertisement
SmartSelect_20240101_115001_Video Player.gif

We have been saying this annually since 2005.

I’m paraphrasing here but Mario’s hire reminded me of last of the mohecians:

The Cuban man came and night entered our future with him. Our council has asked the question since I was a boy: What are the Canes to do?
I agree but just giving Mario the benefit of the doubt. When he was hired everyone knew he would need clearly better talent then teams he was facing to be able to win. I'm hoping we atleast can get a game manager at QB. If last class and this class can't get him over the mediocre ACC team hump everyone mind as well check out for another year or two.

Advertisement
I'd be mad at 9 honestly. Looking at our schedule @louisville and maybe FSU. Whose the third loss GT again, Duke, UF? Honestly losing @louisville and FSU with a down year would be disappointing. Idk if you could spin 3 bad Ls.
I don't necessarily disagree. But if we win 9 games next season, are you really in favor of blowing it up and starting fresh AGAIN?

Context matters. If we lose to Georgia Tech 49-7, then yeah, maybe I change my tune. And I agree, the schedule stinks, so there are no excuses next season.

But progress is progress and unless Urban Meyer is coming out of retirement to take the job, I don't think we should derail the train with no guarantee of something better in the works.

Mario is Mario. He ain’t changing his plan for anyone. That’s obvious. You can build the greatest line in history but without a great leader QB with skills behind them Miami will never even win the ACC.

what did TVD gain by leaving and why? he surely would have been QB1 going in to next season. Was he afraid of competition from the portal? Our offense this year was pathetic. I think TVD told the program , coaches and fans f€ck you.
Disagree with the first statement. Mario has shown that he is willing to change with the hiring of Dawson he never before hired a air raid coach. Agree with TVD kid is a hoe for leaving like he did after these coaches invested so heavily into him.

Mario is Mario. He ain’t changing his plan for anyone. That’s obvious. You can build the greatest line in history but without a great leader QB with skills behind them Miami will never even win the ACC.

what did TVD gain by leaving and why? he surely would have been QB1 going in to next season. Was he afraid of competition from the portal? Our offense this year was pathetic. I think TVD told the program , coaches and fans f€ck you.
How bad must it have been at Miami for TVD to leave? You are right, not like there’s anyone looking to come here to take his job - he had success here and the backups are not it either.

He had a sure thing at least to play. - must of not agreed with the coaches or had no say in anything?

Will be interesting to see what happens at Wisconsin.

Advertisement
Mario said this was going to take some time. Look at Oregon, the years of recruiting he did there is bearing fruit now. It is gonna take a few years. We have to be patient.
It’s taking much longer than other teams are because Mario needs overwhelming talent to have good teams. He’s that terrible of a coach. Most of the players this season were his guys. It’s easy to flip rosters with the portal these days. We keep hearing that the culture was so broken, but that’s easy to fix if you bring in mercs and win. Winning cures all, but we can’t win because our coach doesn’t let his OC do his job. You can absolutely see the difference in play calling after the first 5 games.

I don't necessarily disagree. But if we win 9 games next season, are you really in favor of blowing it up and starting fresh AGAIN?

Context matters. If we lose to Georgia Tech 49-7, then yeah, maybe I change my tune. And I agree, the schedule stinks, so there are no excuses next season.

But progress is progress and unless Urban Meyer is coming out of retirement to take the job, I don't think we should derail the train with no guarantee of something better in the works.
I agree I don't think it should be blown up after 9 wins. At that point I would think he's stacking talent for the next coach though eventually and his ceiling was 8-10 wins. At the end of the day I think we can all agree on being tired of seeing Rutgers and multiple other schools throwing down the U. It has to end one day hopefully.

So:

No excuses to not win 10 games, but no accountability if we don’t…

I agree but just giving Mario the benefit of the doubt. When he was hired everyone knew he would need clearly better talent then teams he was facing to be able to win. I'm hoping we atleast can get a game manager at QB. If last class and this class can't get him over the mediocre ACC team hump everyone mind as well check out for another year or two.

Everyone BUT MARIO knew

Advertisement
So:

No excuses to not win 10 games, but no accountability if we don’t…

There are no excuses for winning less than 9 games with that schedule given our expected size and talent advantage.

And I’m not drinking the Mario Kool Aid, but given how good our recruiting has been in just two seasons, there no chance I’m firing the guy if he wins 9 games next season.

It’s taking much longer than other teams are because Mario needs overwhelming talent to have good teams. He’s that terrible of a coach. Most of the players this season were his guys. It’s easy to flip rosters with the portal these days. We keep hearing that the culture was so broken, but that’s easy to fix if you bring in mercs and win. Winning cures all, but we can’t win because our coach doesn’t let his OC do his job. You can absolutely see the difference in play calling after the first 5 games.
Disagree. The teams that are able to find immediate success are doing it because they find a special quarterback.

Now if you want to say finding a special quarterback will be harder with Mario at the helm, I’ll agree with that.

But you are overrating the quality of talent in the portal. There are maybe 20-25 guys that are true difference-makers in the portal each year.

Disagree. The teams that are able to find immediate success are doing it because they find a special quarterback.

Now if you want to say finding a special quarterback will be harder with Mario at the helm, I’ll agree with that.

But you are overrating the quality of talent in the portal. There are maybe 20-25 guys that are true difference-makers in the portal each year.
Maybe, but you don’t need a special QB to win, especially in the ACC. We had a good enough defense to win 10 with a game manager and a good scheme.

Advertisement
Maybe, but you don’t need a special QB to win, especially in the ACC. We had a good enough defense to win 10 with a game manager and a good scheme.
I agree! It’s why I’m still hopeful. People movers in the trenches, SEC-caliber linebackers, a high IQ and competent QB and we can easily be the class of the ACC every year.

There are no excuses for winning less than 9 games with that schedule given our expected size and talent advantage.

And I’m not drinking the Mario Kool Aid, but given how good our recruiting has been in just two seasons, there no chance I’m firing the guy if he wins 9 games next season.
Its year 3. 9 wins would be a total failure.

Its year 3. 9 wins would be a total failure.
So the suggestion would be that if we don't win 10 games, we should fire everyone and start fresh even though our win total has improved every season?

You expect we'd get a lot of good coaching candidates to take the job with the assumption that they have to win 10 games or they'll get fired too?

Took Dabo four seasons to get to 10 wins at Clemson and I think we'd all be pretty pleased if we followed that program's trajectory.

Don't get greedy.

Advertisement
Back