first kickoff return for touchdown

Not directly on topic, but related, what is the rationale behind not putting your best players on return duty? Is returning so much more inherently risky that it is worth pulling off your best home run threat? I remember years ago the Giants' coach got lit up when Jason Seahorn asked to return kicks and destroyed his knee in the preseason. The reward of excellent field position or scoring versus the risk of injury seems worth putting Duke back there.

Its not a good place to be for your best player period. I'm not risking a season for some yards and maybe a touchdown here or there. On kickoffs and punts the tackling team gets a chance to gain full speed before hitting the returner, if you have ever played getting hit on a regular play doesnt feel as bad as when a guy has all his force coming right at you.

Advertisement
It's hard to say which of these guys will be on K.O.R.

Safe bet is Duke, but IDK how much he'll be back there. I could see Coley or Artie breaking one early.

I'll say Burns though.

Everyone thinks Duke won't be returning kicks. I don't understand that. Duke is the best KR in the country. Reminds me of Barry Sanders as a freshman or Leeland Mcelroy at Texas A & M.
We all worry about Duke getting hurt, but I didn't see him take a hard hit returning kicks all year.
It's also hard to get hit when nobody can tackle you.
This year he may get 3 returns a game as people will start to just kick it out of bounds or squib it down the field. Either way every time he is back there it's almost guaranteed we start with good to great field position.
Golden is taking over special teams and I think he will want the ultimate weapon back there scaring the crap out of the other team.

If any of the other guys can do the same (minus 7-8 yards an attempt) then why risk your best player?

Stacey Coley really doesn't strike me as a kick returner in college. Hope I'm wrong?

Ghandi, to answer your neg and question: from what I've seen, lanky shifty guys are rarely kick returns and more often used for punt returns. Dunno if Coley will put on weight quickly. Anyway, to me, it'd be like watching AJ Green or the like back returning kicks.

Duke against UF a la Hester 03

Please God let this happen

if it does Sun Life will finally sound like the OB. I know at least 50 people coming from NYC alone for this game and the ticket office has told me they expect a real sell out (no tarps) lets just pray its mostly canes fans

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back