First Federal NIL Bill

People would be shocked if they knew how little revenue athletic departments actually bring in. Not many sports are profitable.

Year to year NIL reminds me of back when NFL rookie contracts used to be uncapped. Every year, draft picks wanted more money than guys the year before. Eventually they ended up with rookies getting more guaranteed money than some all pros. That's where I'm worried NIL is headed. Every year the top players are going to want to be the highest paid ever, and there's nothing really stopping that from happening until booster pockets are empty. But by that point, we're talking about incredible amounts of money.
Yeah. That's what always cracks me up. You hear all these people talk about how schools are just rolling in money and the sec and the big 10 etc and it's time the kids make their shares. Why do people think schools drop athletic programs annually? Just for the **** of it apparently. Good chunk of schools operate on a loss. Is what it is.

Advertisement
Okay no idea what the 193 days reference is , just commenting on the “round table” for that fat ****
I porsted that on 1 Sep 23...

and here we are today friend...

easy gif1696544814358.gif

Yeah. That's what always cracks me up. You hear all these people talk about how schools are just rolling in money and the sec and the big 10 etc and it's time the kids make their shares. Why do people think schools drop athletic programs annually? Just for the **** of it apparently. Good chunk of schools operate on a loss. Is what it is.
My only contention is that because of mismanagement of revenues, or anything financial. The TV contracts and all that window dressing be damned. Its a situation to me that no one's ever tasted desperation, so it's cry poor, cut obscure sports, wash rinse repeat. It's probably a bit of both, it's just the human factor. Greed is a **** of a drug.

My only contention is that because of mismanagement of revenues, or anything financial. The TV contracts and all that window dressing be damned. Its a situation to me that no one's ever tasted desperation, so it's cry poor, cut obscure sports, wash rinse repeat. It's probably a bit of both, it's just the human factor. Greed is a **** of a drug.
No way for me to really know what the human side of it causes. I just know alot of schools have heavy financial issues. It's not something that's unique to any particular schools or conferences. Possibly all the people involved are doing the same ****. I wouldn't know though.

There are men's/women's sports that have almost no fan base beyond player's friends/family. Those sports are always in the red, and there are a lot of them.

I hate to be that guy, but if Title IX didn't exist I think we know which sports would be on the chopping block first.

Advertisement
There are men's/women's sports that have almost no fan base beyond player's friends/family. Those sports are always in the red, and there are a lot of them.

Then those sports should be cut. Why should football & basketball continue to foot the bill for those sports? In any other aspect of life they'd be called moochers & freeloaders, the same should apply here. If you shared an apartment with other people, would you pay all of the bills because you made the most money?

Advertisement
My plan to fix CFB. All players in the P4 unionize and a collective bargaining agreement is signed.

Players sign 3 year contracts out of high school, fully guaranteed. These contracts have ceilings. Example QB, can only earn $500k max a year in NIL. Determining the ceilings for these deals will be the most challenging part, but the NFL managed to do it for rookie deals

In the initial 3 year contract players can only transfer if their head coach is fired or leaves. Or if they have a serious reason to transfer home like a parent being sick. This will encourage and help kids earn their degrees. Obviously can transfer if school releases them, but player must have a new school in order for original school to release them. Two week period in January for this.

At the conclusion of their third year, players can transfer if they want and sign NIL deals with no ceilings. They can do one year or two year deals based on eligibility. However the caveat is that they must transfer to a school where they will finish their bachelors within 18 months of transferring. Based on length of second contract signed, players can transfer at the conclusion of their fourth year given the fact that they have earned their bachelors.

Incentive for players to agree to this is that all the money is guaranteed and that there is no funny business when it comes time to receive payment. There has already been numerous high profile situations involving schools like Ufag, Texas A&M, and Ohio state of players not receiving what they were promised.

For coaches / schools…it ends the Wild West era of NIL, takes the burden off of continuously having to recruit your own roster and creates an even playing field.

My plan to fix CFB. All players in the P4 unionize and a collective bargaining agreement is signed.

Players sign 3 year contracts out of high school, fully guaranteed. These contracts have ceilings. Example QB, can only earn $500k max a year in NIL. Determining the ceilings for these deals will be the most challenging part, but the NFL managed to do it for rookie deals

In the initial 3 year contract players can only transfer if their head coach is fired or leaves. Or if they have a serious reason to transfer home like a parent being sick. This will encourage and help kids earn their degrees. Obviously can transfer if school releases them, but player must have a new school in order for original school to release them. Two week period in January for this.

At the conclusion of their third year, players can transfer if they want and sign NIL deals with no ceilings. They can do one year or two year deals based on eligibility. However the caveat is that they must transfer to a school where they will finish their bachelors within 18 months of transferring. Based on length of second contract signed, players can transfer at the conclusion of their fourth year given the fact that they have earned their bachelors.

Incentive for players to agree to this is that all the money is guaranteed and that there is no funny business when it comes time to receive payment. There has already been numerous high profile situations involving schools like Ufag, Texas A&M, and Ohio state of players not receiving what they were promised.

For coaches / schools…it ends the Wild West era of NIL, takes the burden off of continuously having to recruit your own roster and creates an even playing field.
The bolded are 2 separate things. Rookie deals are paid directly by the employer (team/NFL). NIL is an endorsement deal (atleast intended that way). I haven't read the Supreme Court decision but I do recall there was a part of it where a justice wrote something to the effect you cannot put a cap on what someone makes off their name, image, and likeness.

Now if the schools are going to enter into a revenue sharing arrangement out of the collective bargaining piece then yea, I could see caps on that.

In principle, this makes sense except getting a union involved. I’ve dealt with unions in the past and they’re as corrupt or even moreso than the NCAA and adds another layer to the mass corruption already involved.

Advertisement
Not to get political or anything but it goes back to the saying "Free speech for me not for thee" that applies somewhat here in the context of the market. Free market for me not for thee.
Not sure if you are a listener to the Yahoo College Football Inquirer podcast, but they say the 'Free for me, but not for thee' line about this frequently.

Never checked out. Might need to look into it.
I am a bit of a broken record, but it is my favorite podcast and I highly recommend it. They don't usually get into the nitty gritty of specific teams, recruiting, etc like the Pates or Andy Staples of the world, but they do talk about the hot button national topics while also providing a lot of updates on some of the other stuff that doesn't often get attention until after it has become official (ex: congressional NIL stuff).

I find they are good listen for keeping up with what is going on Nationally with CFB and they keep it entertaining as well as they skewer the hypocrisy of the NCAA, Coaches complaining about kids getting paid, etc. I don't always agree with everything they say, but it is almost always entertaining.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back