"Finish What Katrina Started"

But Miami fans are so bad!!!!
Good Lord, could you imagine the outrage if Miami fans did something like this? Sports Illustrated would be calling for us to drop the football program. Cowherd, Wilbon, Finebaum, and the rest of the idiot talking heads would be asking us to do the "right thing" and forfeit the season.

Advertisement
Interesting story. Back in the early '90's, when south Florida suffered through Hurricane Andrew, the Canes were scheduled to play Penn State at Happy Valley.

The Penn State athletic department prepared a ton of buttons that said something to the effect, "Huff and Puff, we'll blow your house down." It was meant to be some kind of jab at the Canes. it had nothing to do with Hurricane Andrew, but just at the name, Hurricanes, in general.

I spoke to their sports PR department before the game, because I used to call those departments at the opposing teams to try to buy game programs, for my collection. A young woman told me about the buttons, she said they would not distribute them because Andrew occurred after they had printed them up. I persuaded her to send me some. Somewhere, in a storage crate, in a storage room, I still have the buttons.

I can't remember if those were the exact words, but PSU embargoed release of thousands of those buttons given the fact it would have been considered extremely bad taste after Andrew.

Wish I could remember the exact words. If I could easily find them, I would take a picture and post, but I haven't seen them in years.

Nobody gives a sht.

Thank you. I'm sorry for bringing it up. Actually, I think it's more interesting than the story of some fraternity boys and Katrina, which doesn't involve UM at all.

You sound like ghetto trash--live in Anacostia?

I don't think Anacostia would claim this cretin.
You owe that community an apology.

You're right. I was thoughtless. I apologize.

I think the Pitt and Hurricane Andrew story is an interesting, but unknown anecdote that very few will ever know. It shows the humanity and compassion by the folks at PSU to realize that something seemingly innocuous overnight became very offensive and hurtful. I wish I could remember the exact wording on the button. I wonder if I still have them somewhere. This is a picture of the so-called entire set of 1992 PSU game buttons, sponsored by Mellon Bank. We played PSU that year, but notice that there is none in this "complete set" for the Miami game...I wonder if anyone who collects these things realizes that there IS something missing. I might have a few of the remaining copies still in existence.

s-l1600.jpg

I haven't checked their schedule, but I guess they went to a bowl game that year and played 13 games; there are only 12 buttons. I do remember that those i received were blue and had Mellon Bank on them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back