Finebaum on Miami

From a pure football standpoint, Finebaum’s take on Miami is one of the dum&est things you could ever hear in the media. “Never” is a really long time especially when all it takes is one coaching staff to keep the best talent home & we’d “never” lose another game.

From a media/business perspective, there may be a reason why he would say something so obviously st_pid. I think he makes outrageous statements like that to generate ratings & clicks, trend on search results, put his name out there, and rile up large fan bases. He’s got 5 pages of replies on here so the more outrageous the statement the more attention he gets (and that is good for business).

Miami sits smack dab in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country & the brand still has tremendous cache which combined with a rich tradition of winning at the highest level still enables us to recruit nationally & land Top 5 classes.

Stack 3-4 Top 5-7 classes in a row & it’s almost inevitable that the program will at minimum compete for CFB playoff spots.

To win a National Championship again, the most important components are:

1) Recruit at a really high level - Check

2) Major commitment from the Admin to football - Check (this was missing for a while but is not currently. We’ve made a huge commitment to football now)

3) Strong NIL game - Check

4) Coaching - Check on Defense. Offense - hire Ken Dorsey & this program would roar. That would also take care of clock & game management (just let Ken & Guidry handle all decisions on their respective sides of the ball).

We’re 6-7 really strong Portal additions away from competing for the playoffs next yr. Trim some more dead weight from the current roster & bring in 6-7 experienced impact players & we’ll be there next year.

Advertisement
What talking heads say doesn't really bother me anymore. Frankly, we deserve the criticism. Can already predict what will happen if/when UM fires Cristobal.

The UM decision makers will say, "Well, clearly we need someone who has a more dynamic vision for the offense. Quick, get the list of all offensive minded coaches with UM connections."

The slim reason for optimism is that between Rhett Lashlee, Ken Dorsey, and Jedd Fisch, the UM braintrust might actually consider the merits of each coach and we'll finally have something resembling an actual coaching search for the first time in 20 years.

From a pure football standpoint, Finebaum’s take on Miami is one of the dum&est things you could ever hear in the media. “Never” is a really long time especially when all it takes is one coaching staff to keep the best talent home & we’d “never” lose another game.

From a media/business perspective, there may be a reason why he would say something so obviously st_pid. I think he makes outrageous statements like that to generate ratings & clicks, trend on search results, put his name out there, and rile up large fan bases. He’s got 5 pages of replies on here so the more outrageous the statement the more attention he gets (and that is good for business).

Miami sits smack dab in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country & the brand still has tremendous cache which combined with a rich tradition of winning at the highest level still enables us to recruit nationally & land Top 5 classes.

Stack 3-4 Top 5-7 classes in a row & it’s almost inevitable that the program will at minimum compete for CFB playoff spots.

2) Major commitment from the Admin to football - Check (this was missing for a while but is not currently. We’ve made a huge commitment to football now)

4) Coaching - Check on Defense. Offense - hire Ken Dorsey & this program would roar. That would also take care of clock & game management (just let Ken & Guidry handle all decisions on their respective sides of the ball).

We’re 6-7 really strong Portal additions away from competing for the playoffs next yr. Trim some more dead weight from the current roster & bring in 6-7 experienced impact players & we’ll be there next year.
Average composite rating for the roster in 2024 is the highest that it has been since prior to 2006.

I just think it’s dumb to lump Miami and Nebraska together when discussing stuff like this. Even under the perfect scenario it’s still going to be extremely difficult to convince young kids to go to Lincoln, Nebraska. Whereas, Miami, even when they’re struggling are always going to have recruits wanting to go there. Miami is always just “the right coach” away from being dominant again, where Nebraska has other factors working against them.

Advertisement
I just think it’s dumb to lump Miami and Nebraska together when discussing stuff like this. Even under the perfect scenario it’s still going to be extremely difficult to convince young kids to go to Lincoln, Nebraska. Whereas, Miami, even when they’re struggling are always going to have recruits wanting to go there. Miami is always just “the right coach” away from being dominant again, where Nebraska has other factors working against them.
Great "your Grandpas" powers now dead. Seemingly forever. Comparison seems fair. I just wish we got credit for providing the kill shot on them in 01 after they somehow survived Colorado putting 60 on them.

Well put.
Funny thing is you guys let this guy rile you up but he talks about Miami because people are interested. People love to hate Miami and Nebraska as well due to their past success. When you need to worry is when they stop talking about you.
We're almost exactly where I thought we would be at this point in Mario's tenure. It sucks and is painful, but if you didn't expect it then with all due respect you don't really know what you're looking at.

Advertisement
The way you guys talk after every coach hire, it seems like you agree with him. Let me guess, you think Mario’s replacement will be better, right?

He stated one of our great runs was 1983-1989. Despite the fact we won the cotton bowl in 1990. The national title in 1991 and played for another in 1992. 29 game win streak from 1990-1992. Shows the lack of knowledge…

Love everything u wrote but why does Dorsey get so much hype as an OC he didn’t let 2 seasons I know he can develop QBs but cmon Josh Allen wasn’t great for him I get it but if his name wasn’t Dorsey and u looked at his resume no chance u guys would want him

Advertisement
Nebraska won when nobody really cared about college football and the rules for scholarship were much more relaxed and it was easy when you were on top to stay on top because you would take 120 guys so they wouldn't go to your rival
I wouldn’t say Nebraska was on top when nobody cared about cfb, they were able to attract a lot of out of state players especially from Texas, Cali, and Florida. In those times they always had the best offensive line too.

Well I think a few things hurt Miami, with the most one being the administration not really caring about football, but back in the 80’s I know Miami would find a lot of underrated players, it’s harder to find underrated players now because of so much media coverage and camps, if Ed Reed was coming out of high school today he would not have been a 2 star, he would’ve been one of the top players in the country, that’s just an example

Advertisement
Great "your Grandpas" powers now dead. Seemingly forever. Comparison seems fair. I just wish we got credit for providing the kill shot on them in 01 after they somehow survived Colorado putting 60 on them.
Yea I’ve always hated how, when talking about that Miami team, people always say, “They were a great team, but that Nebraska team they played in the NC game wasn’t very good.” Do I think that Nebraska team was a great team? No, but Miami also could have won that game by 70 had they not taken their foot off the gas after halftime. The one Nebraska squad I do think was great though was that 95’ team. I have them in my, “Top 5 CFB teams of all-time list.”

Nothing has changed in 40 + years, National Media and pundits will always hate. Then, now, always, US AGAINST THE WORLD. GO CANES.

He is correct on Nebraska. Amazing they were able to do what they did back in the day. Where did they get all their players from?

Miami is a fertile ground of recruiting still.

We are one coach away from turning it around. Think FSU 3 years ago. Unfortunately, the admin doesn’t realize this.

Removing Mario is the best thing the program can do.
Cali, Chicago area, New Jersey, Texas were prime recruiting areas. Plus, a bunch of big, corn-fed, in-state walk-on linemen, some of whom were surprisingly good as upperclassmen.

Advertisement
Back