FINALLY a draft day where we can be interested

skyman

Senior
I dont remember the last draft we had a first round pick or possibility of multiple guys. Has to be a couple years atleast, crazy considering yearly south florida talent. Excited to see where guys go and reach a major goal of theirs. Of course in true cane fashion our only pre season 1st round guy decided to skip the season all together but that opened the door for Phillips and now he is projected to go 1st round also..

Congrats to those guys and good luck, hope both go as high as possible and we can receive some good PR because we need it

Advertisement
I dont remember the last draft we had a first round pick or possibility of multiple guys. Has to be a couple years atleast, crazy considering yearly south florida talent. Excited to see where guys go and reach a major goal of theirs. Of course in true cane fashion our only pre season 1st round guy decided to skip the season all together but that opened the door for Phillips and now he is projected to go 1st round also..

Congrats to those guys and good luck, hope both go as high as possible and we can receive some good PR because we need it

Saw a stat on UM's social media yesterday that Miami had 30 players drafted in the first round, dating back to 2000—putting them at third, behind Alabama and LSU, I believe.

A quick study of those numbers—20 players were drafted in the first round between 2000 and 2004—with only 10 first rounders between 2005 and 2020. Incredible how the once-mighty have fallen.

Nice to see a few guys making some noise, but a juggernaut this program is not. PR isn't what's needed—it's winning with that the Canes have, in order to look like more of a competitor, keeping more talented players home (instead of running them off to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Athens, etc. by way of sub par play.)

Getting curb stomped at home against North Carolina last year and only winning the Coastal once since joining the ACC .... those are PR hits you can't run from.

Saw a stat on UM's social media yesterday that Miami had 30 players drafted in the first round, dating back to 2000—putting them at third, behind Alabama and LSU, I believe.

A quick study of those numbers—20 players were drafted in the first round between 2000 and 2004—with only 10 first rounders between 2005 and 2020. Incredible how the once-mighty have fallen.

Nice to see a few guys making some noise, but a juggernaut this program is not. PR isn't what's needed—it's winning with that the Canes have, in order to look like more of a competitor, keeping more talented players home (instead of running them off to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Athens, etc. by way of sub par play.)

Getting curb stomped at home against North Carolina last year and only winning the Coastal once since joining the ACC .... those are PR hits you can't run from.
Its one of those chicken and the egg type things but kids like to see prior players have success.. This is like an infomercial in offseason which shows that you can have success at UM. Now I agree with you and I hate the whole way the program hung their hat on the whole NFLU banner for close to 2 decades with no results..

Have to win on field, that is biggest PR, AGREED! But no games will be played today so no game to win but in april we can have some good PR for program. This matters to kids.. You need to recruit talent and winning games becomes easier

OSU was number 2. Lsu was 4

So you are saying if we are more like Miami back then, and Alabama now it would help our PR and recruiting? I think 1 or 2 people would have similar assessments.

Since like 2010 we are probably in the top 10 in total draft picks so while we aren't what we were we have showed a remarkable ability to recover from being curb stomped and not winning the ACC in both total draft picks and we have also had some pretty good recruiting classes. OP just said it was nice we could be interested in the first round with GR and JP

Everyone on here knows winning is what is needed.

Advertisement

Only 5 1st Rounders since 2008.

And only 2 Miami players have been drafted in Rounds 1-3 in the last 5 drafts (but we should have 3 in this draft).

So it's going to be awesome to see Phillips and hopefully Rousseau going in Round 1 tonight. The gut punch being each of them really only played 1 year at Miami.

But hopefully we're back on track for producing Day 1 & 2 draft picks!

Last edited:
My 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 sauces tell me with the #1 pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars (say it with Brit accent so it sounds cooler) select.....

Jose Borregales, Kicker, University of Miami.

#MakeHistory
#ShockTheWorld
#TakeItToDaBankBîtches

I've wrote here about how we could be using the Transfer Portal as a Key Component of our image to hopefully facilitate success.

There are still issues that need to be addressed.

This draft is going to have 3 Cane Defensive Ends drafted. 2 in the 1st round. Is any other school going to have a comparable representation at that position? No. But even with that success, we still didn't recruit any worthwhile defensive ends in the '21 class, and we aren't on track to recruit any in the '22 class.

Why?

Because the coaches are not evaluating and/or recruiting the right kids, and we aren't getting enough out of our good players. We got 1 year out of all 3 of them. The scheme they played in caused them to disappear in some games. The surrounding talent was abysmal. Recruits and coaches can easily see this, and are going to steer kids away from us.

Our kicker is getting drafted, but he transferred in. We have a transfer WR and DE slated to start for us again this year. How can we not field a respectable WR room being in south Florida? Our over-reliance on transfers is obvious. Our lack of player development is obvious. Our prioritization of playing loyal upper-classmen is obvious.

The Portal can be great and should be a Key Component of our image, but these coaches HAVE to bring in real D1 players and get them to a competitive level or else the winning wont come, and the better recruits wont come.

Advertisement
I've wrote here about how we could be using the Transfer Portal as a Key Component of our image to hopefully facilitate success.

There are still issues that need to be addressed.

This draft is going to have 3 Cane Defensive Ends drafted. 2 in the 1st round. Is any other school going to have a comparable representation at that position? No. But even with that success, we still didn't recruit any worthwhile defensive ends in the '21 class, and we aren't on track to recruit any in the '22 class.

Why?

Because the coaches are not evaluating and/or recruiting the right kids, and we aren't getting enough out of our good players. We got 1 year out of all 3 of them. The scheme they played in caused them to disappear in some games. The surrounding talent was abysmal. Recruits and coaches can easily see this, and are going to steer kids away from us.

Our kicker is getting drafted, but he transferred in. We have a transfer WR and DE slated to start for us again this year. How can we not field a respectable WR room being in south Florida? Our over-reliance on transfers is obvious. Our lack of player development is obvious. Our prioritization of playing loyal upper-classmen is obvious.

The Portal can be great and should be a Key Component of our image, but these coaches HAVE to bring in real D1 players and get them to a competitive level or else the winning wont come, and the better recruits wont come.
It's not too crazy to think teams will use this, if they're not already, for negative recruiting.

Changes need to be made if the staff can't take advantage of three EDGE players being drafted on Day 1 & 2.

Advertisement
My Fins and Jags better take Rousseau is he’s there at 18 or 25. Huge mistake to let him pass. Perfect 3/4 NFL DE.
I've never wanted my team to take a canes player more. I don't understand how Rousseau's projection has fallen so far. I guess I do, but I disagree.

I thought Rousseau was a significantly better football player for us than Phillips (not that he wasn't great also) and I'd be stunned if he didn't have a better pro career.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back