Final ten ACC games of the season - serious chance to get #1 ACC seed

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
We are halfway through the ACC schedule, so it is safe to take a look at how the second half of the conference schedule sets up for us. I honestly believe that we can finish #1 in the ACC for the regular season. We have a pretty easy remaining schedule against a pretty weak ACC.

2 conference losses thus far, both by 1 point to F$U. We haven't lost a game by double-digits since NOVEMBER. We have now played TWO FULL MONTHS with only 2 1-point losses, otherwise we would be undefeated for two months.

10 games left (4 at home, 6 on the road), 5 against teams in the Top 9 of the ACC currently, 5 against the bottom 6 teams.

#2 Duke - do not play again
#3 Notre Dame - next game AT HOME on February 2
#4 Wake - on the road on February 12, probably our toughest remaining challenge
#5 North Carolina - do not play again
#6 F$U - do not play again
#7 UVA - 2 remaining games, away on February 5, then home on February 19
#8 Louisville - on the road on February 16 (sub-.500 in the ACC)
#9 Clemson - do not play again

Against the bottom teams (all sub-.500 in the ACC and all but one sub-.500 overall, VaTech is 11-10), we get #15 GaTech again (at home) on February 9, and then our final four games are at #12 Pitt, home for #13 VaTech and then at #11 BC and at #10 Syracuse.

We have played incredibly well, particularly in the second halves of games, and lost a one-point game to F$U on a bad foul call and another one-point game to F$U on a final shot that didn't fall. It would be very attainable to win the final 10 games (and if we do, we are guaranteed the #1 seed in the ACC Tournament), but 8 or 9 wins would give us either our best-ever ACC finish, or at least put us on a par with the 2012-2013 team that went 15-3 and finished first in the ACC regular season (and ACC Tournament champions).

Obviously, we have to play the last 10 games like we played the first 10, but it's looking **** good right now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need UNC to show up for at least one of their 2 Duke games. I would feel more comfortable if Duke was to lose a couple more games in case we have a hiccup or two. ND plays Duke next at home, then comes to Miami. Be nice for ND to knock off Duke then we take them out Wednesday. Have some breathing room.

We need UNC to show up for at least one of their 2 Duke games. I would feel more comfortable if Duke was to lose a couple more games in case we have a hiccup or two. ND plays Duke next at home, then comes to Miami. Be nice for ND to knock off Duke then we take them out Wednesday. Have some breathing room.

Absolutely.

Alabama (our worst loss) just knocked off #4 Baylor. Would be nice to see Bama make a late-season run and help our case even more.

ND just keeps winning. UVA is terrible. I don’t think Duke loses again. Everyone else IMO is out of it.

Would be nice for ND to pull it out against Duke on Monday. But honestly I don’t think we can lose another game and win the regular season.

ND just keeps winning. UVA is terrible. I don’t think Duke loses again. Everyone else IMO is out of it.

Would be nice for ND to pull it out against Duke on Monday. But honestly I don’t think we can lose another game and win the regular season.
Maybe you know that team best, but NC is not far out mathematically, and did a lot better today vs. NCState, scoring100 ( 15-6, 7-3 ). Even Kansas lost by 20 today, did our beatdown of NC mean they are that bad?

Advertisement
Maybe you know that team best, but NC is not far out mathematically, and did a lot better today vs. NCState, scoring100 ( 15-6, 7-3 ). Even Kansas lost by 20 today, did our beatdown of NC mean they are that bad?
They’re gonna lose more games. I say 2 if not 3. Won’t be a factor in this. At best a split with Duke, probably lose both. Will lose one of FSU, Ville, or VT games as well.

Duke is our only threat to regular season title. I do think they will lose at least 1 game though. Everybody else in conference will drop multiple games.

Advertisement
They are very inconsistent. Guard play especially. If this wasn't a down year in the ACC they would be in trouble.

Advertisement
Wake is fraudulent. Non factor.
Oh no chance at competing for ACC title. Good enough in a down year in the ACC for them to amass enough wins and make the tourney, much like UNC might do, still not sure if they can though. I've felt since we started 4-0 it was us and Duke, and I would still give the nod to Duke to win reg season title.

Oh no chance at competing for ACC title. Good enough in a down year in the ACC for them to amass enough wins and make the tourney, much like UNC might do, still not sure if they can though. I've felt since we started 4-0 it was us and Duke, and I would still give the nod to Duke to win reg season title.
I tend to agree with that. I can’t shake the feeling that we’ll drop one on the road at UVA and one more. Feels like Duke loses one more, at most, and takes it. But getting that double bye as a 2 or 3 and avoiding Duke until the title gives us a chance in the ACCT.

Advertisement

If Duke wins out they will be the #1 overall seed for the NCAAT.

They'll lose again. They have struggled on the road and play a lot of road games. I think they drop 1 this week.

Advertisement
Back