Final Four vs. UCONN - 4/1 8:49pm EDT on CBS

On paper, they should beat us, even if both teams play their best game. We've been there before during this run and we very well could win.

It's been fun to watch and when we were down big today, I thought we had reached the end. This team, they never quit, and keep finding something else to give.

Hope they've got another rabbit in the hat. To me, this is the game to win it all. Granted the final wouldn't be a gimme and those two teams on the other side have been proving people wrong too.

Let's Go Canes!

Advertisement
On paper, they should beat us, even if both teams play their best game. We've been there before during this run and we very well could win.

It's been fun to watch and when we were down big today, I thought we had reached the end. This team, they never quit, and keep finding something else to give.

Hope they've got another rabbit in the hat. To me, this is the game to win it all. Granted the final wouldn't be a gimme and those two teams on the other side have been proving people wrong too.

Let's Go Canes!
That’s pretty much been the narrative against us every **** game except Drake (even then they were one of the most popular upset picks).

Every game, people picked us to lose, after every game, they were raving about our team and Coach L and yet, still pick us to lose the next game.

There’s so many receipt for this team to get motivated every week, their motto Don’t pick us couldn’t have been a better choice !!

Canes + 5.5 and sleep like a baby. Or nut up and take Canes on ML
Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

As mentioned in this thread earlier, they are due for a poor shooting game. Their 3 point variance is off the charts. I know you can’t rely on that, but hopefully speeding them up and running, will do what’s it done to every team we’ve played so far.

Just like I said about Texas when they are making shots, they are unbelievably good. When they aren’t they can get beat by anybody. Their ceiling is much higher than ours, but their floor is a lot lower.

Advertisement
As mentioned in this thread earlier, they are due for a poor shooting game. Their 3 point variance is off the charts. I know you can’t rely on that, but hopefully speeding them up and running, will do what’s it done to every team we’ve played so far.

Just like I said about Texas when they are making shots, they are unbelievably good. When they aren’t they can get beat by anybody. Their ceiling is much higher than ours, but their floor is a lot lower.
Agree. UConn has an elite roster and Hurley is a solid coach. They’re on a roll. But what’s the last thing a team on a roll wants: a long layover. They’ll have had a week off between their games. Well rested sure, but maybe it’ll get them out of their rhythm. Their 3 point shooting is a respectable and solid 36% on the season. So far this tournament they’ve averaged 42.3% from 3.

And agree with the poster above. Everything on many websites/forums are saying UConn is a heavy favorite and that they’re being “gift wrapped” their 5th Natty. Might as well not play the games **** … There’s no such thing as an easy opponent from Round 32 onwards.

Anways, Go Canes!

Advertisement
Good news: UConn is a good team but we can absolutely beat them...especially if we're more clinical in our execution & don't make sloppy passes etc. Also, only our best shooters should shoot the ball in this game. Here's my take:

1) We're much faster & more athletic than UConn - we can blow by them on offense & harass them on D;

2) We're going to be one of the toughest tests they've faced on D all season -- every shot needs to be contested;

3) The matchup between Norchad & Sanogo is going to be fascinating to watch. Norchad is more athletic & much more explosive; Sanogo is taller & bigger. Not being a homer but if Norchad asserts himself, he's the better athlete & will win the matchup. He must win out in this pivotal aspect to the contest & rebound like a man possessed. If I have concern, it's that Norchad may get in foul trouble early because UConn has quality bigs & it will be a battle royale on the inside. Coach L will manage that carefully though;

4) Miller is not only much faster & more athletic than Sanogo, he's also hella crafty and will cause problems for UConn's lumbering big men in the paint -- Advantage: Miller;

5) UConn has some quality shooters -- need to contest their shots & get them out of rhythm.

Yes, UConn has played well in the tournament but so have we. Hello, we've beaten a 1, 2 & a 4...and we beat the 1 like a drum.

How do we lose:

1) If UConn has a ton of uncontested shots & gets super hot;

2) We make sloppy passes & commit a bunch of turnovers -- be clinical, play heady & have only our best ball handlers toting the rock;

3) If Norchad gets hurt or sits for long stretches of the game;

4) Poor shot selection (Walker has shown flashes & hit a big 3 against Houston but it would be awesome if he sticks to his super athletic dunks and short shots in the paint for this game) and no-one except Pack should attempt 3-pointers from the parking lot...and even he should try to take quality 3 pointers; and

5) Wong is quiet. Isiah & Miller need to both lead the way in this game & both show out for us to win. Wong's major turnaround (after a quiet first half against Texas) was a major factor in our win today. Get Wong going early & then finish them off with a Pack attack (with Miller eating their lunch quietly the whole game).

If we start fast and really get them out of their rhythm, we can literally run them off the court. UConn lost six games in a short period of time in the middle of the season. They are 13-2 since then. UConn can absolutely be beaten by this Canes team.

I'm calling it now. With UConn, SDSU and FAU as the other three teams remaining, we're going to win a Natty in Men's Basketball. We can absolutely do it. Go Canes!!!

UConn fan here! Congratulations! Your team reminds me slightly of the 2014 UConn national championship team(2 grear guards, nails from the free throw line, great role players). Should be a fun game.

Just to respond to a couple of things I’ve seen here:

1. Doubling Sanogo workerd wonderful for opposing teams last season and earlier in the year. I wouldn’t count on it working now. Gonzaga attempted to double sanogo the last game and he ended up with a career high 6 assist. He’s passing out of the double team now and finding open cutters and shooters. Primarily Andre Jackson who sits in the dunkers spot every time sanogo is going one on one in the post.

2. Someone said you have to lock down Jordan Hawkins….and he is correct. If you don’t lock him down this one will be over fast. He’s a sniper and just like roaches when you see him make one, there’s a bunch more coming.

3. UConn has quality and depth at every position. Outside of 3 guys(Clingan, Diarra, Jackson) everyone is a threat from 3(yes even Sanogo). Hawkins, Calcaterra, Karaban, Alleyne, and Newton are our shooters. And in transition with Jackson being the facilitator we are deadly. You will have to find shooters in transition or the game will get away from you fast.

You win if:

1. UConn goes cold. It’s happened this season before. UConn is an energy team and when one or two guys go cold sometimes it infects the whole team. In our January stretch where we struggled Alleyne, Calcaterra, Newton, and even Hawkins all struggled to make shots. It snowballed mentally and took us a while to regain our confidence. Now, all of those guys are EXTREMELY confident. So I wouldn’t bet on all having a cold night. BUT it’s possible and that’d be a pathway to a victory for you guys.

2. Full court press the **** out of us. We’ve struggled all year a consistently breaking a full court press. And Newton has struggled with handling pressure. In the tournament you can see this in the second half against Arkansas. A way we combat this is with Andre Jackson. He’s a brilliant passer and a 1 man press break. Which leads me to my next pathway,

3. Get Andre Jackson in foul trouble. He is the head of the snake. He doesn’t shoot a lot but he is the heart, soul, and balls of this team. You take him out of the game and the playing field levels considerably.

When Jackson is doing his thing, our shooters are knocking down shots, and Sanogo is Sanogoing we are pretty hard to beat. We’re 15-0 outside of the big east with our average margin of victory at 21. With that being said UConn fans are very well aware of what 2 talented guards like Pack and Wong can do on a big stage(Kemba/Lamb, Shabazz/Boatright) and we are by no means taking you lightly. It will be a war. And we are expecting Miami to present us our first real challenge of the tournament. It’s the final 4. And we all deserve to be here. May the best team win.

And I’ll say this. I’ve watched a ton of the top teams this season. And UConn at its best is something you haven’t seen yet…

P.S. we’re coming for revenge Mr. Laranaga. We haven’t forgotten George Mason.

Last edited:
Advertisement
UConn fan here! Congratulations! Your team reminds me slightly of the 2014 UConn national championship team(2 grear guards, nails from the free throw line, great role players). Should be a fun game.

1. Doubling Sanogo workerd wonderful for opposing teams last season and earlier in the year. I wouldn’t count on it working now. Gonzaga attempted to double sanogo the last game and he ended up with a career high 6 assist. He’s passing out of the double team now and finding open cutters and shooters. Primarily Andre Jackson who sits in the dunkers spot every time sanogo is going one on one in the post.

2. Someone said you have to lock down Jordan Hawkins….and he is correct. If you don’t lock him down this one will be over fast. He’s a sniper and just like roaches when you see him make one, there’s a bunch more coming.

3. UConn has quality and depth at every position. Outside of 3 guys(Clingan, Diarra, Jackson) everyone is a threat from 3(yes even Sanogo). Hawkins, Calcaterra, Karaban, Alleyne, and Newton are our shooters. And in transition with Jackson being the facilitator we are deadly. You will have to find shooters in transition or the game will get away from you fast.

You win if:

1. UConn goes cold. It’s happened this season before. UConn is an energy team and when one or two guys go cold sometimes it infects the whole team. In our January stretch where we struggled Alleyne, Calcaterra, Newton, and even Hawkins all struggled to make shots. It snowballed mentally and took us a while to regain our confidence. Now, all of those guys are EXTREMELY confident. So I wouldn’t bet on all having a cold night. BUT it’s possible and that’d be a pathway to a victory for you guys.

2. Full court press the **** out of us. We’ve struggled all year a consistently breaking a full court press. And Newton has struggled with handling pressure. In the tournament you can see this in the second half against Arkansas. A way we combat this is with Andre Jackson. He’s a brilliant passer and a 1 man press break. Which leads me to my next pathway,

3. Get Andre Jackson in foul trouble. He is the head of the snake. He doesn’t shoot a lot but he is the heart, soul, and balls of this team. You take him out of the game and the playing field levels considerably.

When Jackson is doing his thing, our shooters are knocking down shots, and Sanogo is Sanogoing we are pretty hard to beat. We’re 15-0 outside of the big east with our average margin of victory at 21. With that being said UConn fans are very well aware of what 2 talented guards like Pack and Wong can do on a big stage(Kemba/Lamb, Shabazz/Boatright) and we are by no means taking you lightly. It will be a war. And we are expecting Miami to present us our first real challenge of the tournament. It’s the final 4. And we all deserve to be here. May the best team win.

And I’ll say this. I’ve watched a ton of the top teams this season. And UConn at its best is something you haven’t seen yet…

Welcome UConn fan.

I can't say that I've watched a bunch of UConn this year but your margins of victory in the tournament have been pretty impressive.

I'd say our reputation of being good offensively is earned. We've cranked out over 50% shooting against what many considered to be (metrics wise at least) two of the better defending teams in the tournament. Houston and Texas. We shot 59% against Texas and that was inclusive of a 25% 3pt shooting night.

We can kill you shooting 3's, attacking the rim like we did last night or from the midrange. We do not have much of an offensive post presence but we can get points in the paint.

Mainly though we've got Coach L. I feel like he's the best coach left.

Your defense looks really solid. You haven't given up over 65pts in the tournament yet so something probably has to break.

If its a close game we've been through so many tough tight games that I think advantage us. We're pretty good at the charity stripe as well.

Welcome UConn fan.

I can't say that I've watched a bunch of UConn this year but your margins of victory in the tournament have been pretty impressive.

I'd say our reputation of being good offensively is earned. We've cranked out over 50% shooting against what many considered to be (metrics wise at least) two of the better defending teams in the tournament. Houston and Texas. We shot 59% against Texas and that was inclusive of a 25% 3pt shooting night.

We can kill you shooting 3's, attacking the rim like we did last night or from the midrange. We do not have much of an offensive post presence but we can get points in the paint.

Mainly though we've got Coach L. I feel like he's the best coach left.

Your defense looks really solid. You haven't given up over 65pts in the tournament yet so something probably has to break.

If its a close game we've been through so many tough tight games that I think advantage us. We're pretty good at the charity stripe as well.
Laranaga is definitely the most decorated. But here’s the list of decorated coaches Hurley has taken down:
Pitino
Randy Bennett
Musslemen
Few

Not a bad list. Also Pack and Wong will be the best guard combo we’ve faced this year maybe. But Gonzaga was the number 1 offense in the country…..and yeah. Hurley is elite at focusing on the “guy” and taking him out the game. With the hard hedge I think we’ll try to force the “other guys” to beat us.

Advertisement

You win if:

Nice write up, seems legit but not sure if it’s one of our crafty posters. If it is legit it’s just what we needed! A question for you would be how would you compare the coaches in the matchup? L has proven invaluable to us in the tourney so far.

Edit: I see your response above, how bout some of Hurley’s strengths & weaknesses.

Nice write up, seems legit but not sure if it’s one of our crafty posters. If it is legit it’s just what we needed! A question for you would be how would you compare the coaches in the matchup? L has proven invaluable to us in the tourney so far.
I think Laranaga is the more decorated coach obviously. But Hurley has been fantastic this tournament. And if not for a 3 week slump Hurley might’ve been coach of the year. One knock on Hurley is he doesn’t win “close” games. But he’s found the remedy to that. Blow everyone out lol.

You win if:

I hope your entire team gets food poisoning

I think Laranaga is the more decorated coach obviously. But Hurley has been fantastic this tournament. And if not for a 3 week slump Hurley might’ve been coach of the year. One knock on Hurley is he doesn’t win “close” games. But he’s found the remedy to that. Blow everyone out lol.
Will definitely be a tough game for us for sure. It’s the tournament so all bets are off but I think both fan bases and most of the country feels like this semifinal will produce the national champion. It’s imperative we play our best D of the year, don’t get caught playing a half court game, & make it to at least 75 points to have a chance. Here’s to a clean, no injury game. I’d wish you luck but you don’t need it & I’d be lying.

Advertisement
Back