Final Class Prediction - About 19 - 20 (Incl EEs)

btcane

Sophomore
It is clear that Al G. & staff are workin’ their tails off recruiting. While Al has stated we will take about 16-17, I don’t see how he can limit it that low. Below is a list of what I believe are our most active targets w/ their status. Twenty four (24) guys.

QB Kevin Olsen **** committed
OG Alex Gall *** committed
OL- D Kirkland **** probable
OL Hunter Knighton *** Interested/ Visiting 12/7 (added after orig. post)
TE Travis Johnson **** committed
TE Jeremy Kerr *** committed
TE Standish Dobard **** committed
TE B Sandland JC **** Interested / Visited Final 3
RB Ray Lewis lll *** committed / Possible walk on
RB - A Collins **** Interested
RB - D. Green ***** Interested
WR Angelo Jean-Louis **** committed / Grades?
WR S. Coley ***** Interested

S Jamal Carter **** committed
CB Artie Burns **** committed
DT Keith Bryant **** soft verbal / Probable
DT L. Hooks - JC **** Probable / Visiting
DT - J Bostwick **** Probable Prep School
DT B. Bradley JC **** Some Interest
DEs - A. Muhammad **** Interested/Visiting
DE T. Williams **** Serious Interest
LB/DE J. Grace *** Serious Interest / Probable
LB A. Figueroa Committed
LB M Thomas ***** Probable
LB D. Bond- JC ***** Serious Interest/Visiting

Okay, where do you draw the line? Even though not ALL will commit, I think MOST WILL! A couple may be reaches [Muhammad, Bradley & Green], but Al has proven he can work magic. It also looks like a few may not be able to qualify [AJL & Bostwick.]
In any event, assume 18-19 of ‘em want in, what do we do? While we only have room for about 15 under the cap of our current roster, we will get room after spring ball when attrition sets in. See below.
First, we played last year w/ only about 80, not 85 schollie players. We have 10 graduating seniors. That leaves about 15.
But you have to factor in attrition. I look at the roster and count about a dozen, or more, non-contributors and/or question marks.
While I do not think Sentrel or Porter should leave, it is a very viable possibility. Does EJ ***** his head on, or is he out the door? Some believe he’s half way out!
Look at the TE position - Dye, Cleveland, Perry, White & Harvey. Possible transfers? I think Highsmith will have his degree by winter. Maybe Lopez, as well. Does Rodgers expect to see much PT? Will L. Robinson, J. Johnson or K. Cain opt to transfer?
I don’t think Al wants 6 QBs on schollie. Do you? Someone's gotta go.
Bottom line — maybe 10 less familiar faces next season. Especially if potential studs are available to replace them.
Re: Roster management in anticipation of sanctions. We have about 5 slots for EEs who would count against last year's class. (Only staff knows who counted against last year's numbers.)
Remember, we can sign a class that puts us over 85 in February (including Jan. EEs), however the number that we [B]ENROLL in September cannot exceed 85[/B]! With the attrition expected (discussed above) we will be well under that cap. In addition, with up to 3 or 4 Juco guys, they can only stay two years, thus lowering our cap numbers after 2014 to comport w/ expected cap sanctions, while allowing those stud freshman entering this year to redshirt, grow and contribute down the road.

“Way to go Al! It’s a process! It’s a plan!! It’s working!!!!“

Last edited:
Advertisement
QB Kevin Olsen

RB Alex Collins

WR Stacy Coley
WR Angelo Jean-Louis

TE Beau Sandland (JR)
TE Standish Dobard
TE Travis Johnson

OL Denver Kirkland
OL Alex Gall
OL Hunter Knighton

DE/LB Devante Bond (JR)
DE Tim Williams

DT Lavon Hooks (JR)
DT Keith Bryant
DT/DE Jaynard Bostwick

LB Matthew Thomas
LB Jermaine Grace
LB/DE Alex Figueroa

CB/S Artie Burns

S Jamal Carter
S/RB Ray Lewis III (walk-on)

this is more an ideal (yet somewhat realistic) class. 20 new scholarship kids (Big Ray essentially buys us another scholarship). Jeremy Kerr goes elsewhere.

OP that´s 24 players. We would need 9 non-seniors to leave the team for that to happen. Lopez and Harvey are walk-ons, Dye isn´t going anywhere.

Guess it could happen.

Last edited:
So you're basically agreeing w/ me by omiting Green, Muhammad & Bradley. I can't quarrel with that. That was my thinking, with a bit of hopeful optomism tossed in.

Great minds think alike!

OP that´s 24 players. We would need 9 non-seniors to leave the team for that to happen. Names?

I set the names out in the OP. Take your pick.

"While I do not think Sentrel or Porter should leave, it is a very viable possibility. Does EJ ***** his head on, or is he out the door? Some believe he’s half way out!
Look at the TE position - Dye, Cleveland, Perry, White & Harvey. Possible transfers? I think Highsmith will have his degree by winter. Maybe Lopez, as well. Does Rodgers expect to see much PT? Will L. Robinson, J. Johnson or K. Cain opt to transfer?
Bottom line — maybe 10 less familiar faces next season. Especially if potential studs are available to replace them."

Last edited:
Advertisement
There's probably so many guys we haven't even heard about yet (like Mattingly)

OP that´s 24 players. We would need 9 non-seniors to leave the team for that to happen. Names?

I set the names out in the OP. Take your pick.

"While I do not think Sentrel or Porter should leave, it is a very viable possibility. Does EJ ***** his head on, or is he out the door? Some believe he’s half way out!
Bottom line — maybe 10 less familiar faces next season. Especially if potential studs are available to replace them."

Ya sorry. You have a couple of walk ons in there, and Dye isn´t leaving. HIghsmith won´t be shown the door because of who he is. As I said after the edit, i guess it could work out, but I think 24 is overly optimistic.

Advertisement
I believe we are at 78 scholies now, so room for 17. White and J Johnson are in the process of leaving and QB thompson i remember reading somewhere won't play.

Advertisement
Because he knows we´re short on schollies and facing sanctions? What would you do if it was you son and you had earned several dozen million dollars the last fifteen years?

Although that's a noble act but he's not obligated to do so, if he earns the schollie, then it's his

lets be real....if this kids name wasn't Ray Lewis III he wouldn't be getting a scholarship...especially in a year where scholarship reductions are squeezing us

Advertisement
FreePawn, I agree that 24 is overly optomistic.
I said 'about 20.' The number 24 was the number of TARGETS.
Not all will commit, and 1 or 2 may not QUALIFY!

There's probably so many guys we haven't even heard about yet (like Mattingly)

I agree. But don't think there can be very many and, in any event, I am neither an 'insider', nor a DBC who manufactures 'facts'. All I can do is comment on what has been published in the public domain.

Incorrect. There are 81 on 'ships currently with 12 graduating. Jermaine Johnson is not included in the 81 as he has been removed for quite some time. White is still on the team as of now and is part of the 81. Thompson could very well be our next punter.
He is part of the football team today and plans to be as well come next August.

The 16 new faces Coach has talked about already will put us at 85. Now if in fact Coach wants to be at 80, that would mean 5 current faces have to go. To sign 24, 13 current players would have to go. That is simply not going to happen...

QUOTE=fivecent;1106957]I believe we are at 78 scholies now, so room for 17. White and J Johnson are in the process of leaving and QB thompson i remember reading somewhere won't play.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement
Back