Final 2024 Class Rankings

Still gotta get through 247 and On3. We’ll see how it shakes out. Very happy with Blount’s minimal drop.

Lightfoot got what he deserved. Anyone who watched that game saw there wasn’t 25 kids better than him in America. If ESPN moves lightfoot anywhere close to top 75 he might be a top 20 player composite.
Our staff was on top of it this past cycle when it comes to evals. Last year around this time they were pressing for guys that they believed in and many were ranked as 3 stars or low 4 stars.

Lesson to be learned as we get into 2025 recruiting, trust in Mario. Ignore the stars especially early in the recruiting cycle.

Advertisement
Who shocked you the most relative to their place in the class?

Mine is still Isiah Thomas. I don’t see it.
My notes on Thomas are fine for what he is ranked I think:

Strengths: It starts with his frame. A long athlete with broad shoulders and huge hands, Thomas just looks like an athlete out there. He has a legitimate burst when he wants to move and has above-average speed. Not a lot of film due to injury, but this is a solid play in letting the QB’s eyes lead him directly to the football. He takes it back for a TD showing off the good linear speed.

Thomas will absolutely strike you. He is not looking to just shoulder hit you, either. Honestly, he has a plus tackling form already. Using his hips to explode through a ball carrier, gets his head out of the play while wrapping and looking to knock the ball carrier backwards. One of the better tacklers out of high school for a safety that you will see.

Opportunities: Whenever your HUDL is three minutes long, it generally means one of two things: 1. You aren’t very good and don’t have many highlights. 2. You’ve been hurt a lot and don’t have much on tape. Thomas is the latter. Having sustained injuries in each of the past two seasons, you are taking a risk with this player.

Right now, Thomas is a box safety only. He has almost no experience going backwards and is much better moving forward. He’s a blitzer, fill safety, screen killer type. He shows a lack of feel for angles in the run game or in attacking passes in the air. Choosing often times to go where the receiver/ball carrier is, rather than where they will be.

Overall: Full stop; it is difficult to evaluate safeties without the All-22. There is so much that goes into evaluating a safety that the broadcast copy will not show. What I try to do is review multiple games and identify the plays where the angle shows the safety the entire time. Either via replay, or simply in the play itself. Combining that all together with a highlight tape can get you enough of a picture to evaluate the player, but it is not going to be to the level of having the All-22 and I won’t pretend that it does.

This is a player that if you saw him in a camp setting you would believe he has offers to everywhere. If he stayed healthy, he’s definitely a four-star player. Huge hands, springy, fast, physical. Where he falls short are in proven instincts in pass coverage, ability to play mirror safety or single-high safety, and in the ability to stay healthy. He’s a bit of a gamble with all of the injuries previously in that you have to assume he keeps his athleticism and he can learn to process and go backwards in pass coverage. Interesting player, who will help you on specials if nothing else develops

Advertisement
Our staff was on top of it this past cycle when it comes to evals. Last year around this time they were pressing for guys that they believed in and many were ranked as 3 stars or low 4 stars.

Lesson to be learned as we get into 2025 recruiting, trust in Mario. Ignore the stars especially early in the recruiting cycle.
We definitely had some good early evals, with Lightfoot being exhibit A but we had some that never developed as well.

Didn’t I see Lightfoot weighed in at 212 at the All Star Game? Obviously he will put on weight before the fall but thankfully we won’t need him to play significant minutes in 2024. *Knock on wood*

He probably needs a year, and that’s okay. He is still a special prospect. If he can get up to 240ish, maybe a 3rd down situational guy but even then is he getting those snaps over Alston, a healthy Kelly, Wayne? This is assuming Mesidor and Bain slide inside on those downs.

Maybe I’m wrong and he passes a couple guys that we already have? Who knows. Again, great problem to have.

Didn’t I see Lightfoot weighed in at 212 at the All Star Game? Obviously he will put on weight before the fall but thankfully we won’t need him to play significant minutes in 2024. *Knock on wood*

He probably needs a year, and that’s okay. He is still a special prospect. If he can get up to 240ish, maybe a 3rd down situational guy but even then is he getting those snaps over Alston, a healthy Kelly, Wayne? This is assuming Mesidor and Bain slide inside on those downs.

Maybe I’m wrong and he passes a couple guys that we already have? Who knows. Again, great problem to have.
Agreed, unless he just blows up to 250+ I see a situational pass rusher as well year 1.

Our DE room was decimated by the end of the year. If everyone is healthy we shouldn’t need any of the freshman DE’s unless they flat out win a job. At DT we’ll see. Scott missing spring sucks. I think he and Jones have a clearer path to PT over any of the De’s

Advertisement
Has someone posted a list of early enrollees to our site yet? Thanks in advance.
Oops. Seems we have a lot.

He’s coming early, isn’t he?

If he is, he’ll be at 235ish by September. He’s a guy that’s never really been a part of a weight training regimen designed to put on weight.

He was 6’4 and 223 when he was here in the summer. It looks like he lost some weight during the season which is normal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t see a difference, but then again I’m a slap **** fake insider.

I'm riding shotgun with you on that lol..

My 0.02 on this thread is we're all (me included) acting like a bunch of Gator fvckfaces worried about what Rivals, 247, On3 and ESPN have to say about our recruits. The top of the class is fricking lights out regardless of those idiots' final rankings. Them dropping Patterson out of 5-star is Exhibit A they are front runners who don't care about real football games, because that kid just dominated.

I'm more worried about the bottom of the class like I see you are. I was vocally critical of Russell and Anderson, agreed that Minaya's feet are a concern. I know others aren't fans of Thomas, Day, Francavilla, Frederique. At one point people even questioned Mack, though I think that's looking more an more silly of a take. And I can't argue that Anderson has flipped the script at least statistically.

Net/net, we have a great class. The question is -- are the depth and distribution of talent good enough to get us to playoff level for 2025 and beyond?

I can’t believe ESPN is still counted in the composite. Do they still cover recruiting like they did a few years ago?

Do we know when One3 and 247 are doing their final rankings?
To my knowledge On3 hasn’t announced date yet. 247 is today at 5pm.

ESPN waited until after original NSD last year to drop - and no the recruiting department is light compared to what it used to be.

Mack needs to bump up to a 4 star based on he's all star game performance. Pickett should def bump up a good amount as well. He played really well in his All star games as well...Nice to gain a 5 star but also lost one with Patterson.

Advertisement
Back