Film Review of FSU Game

Advertisement
Best posts on this board by far. Excellent information with supporting photos. Keep them coming!

I also thought a slight sidestep by Delany would have resulted in a big return. Oh well, I'll take the turnover any day.

The missed fumble was too egregious. I can't help to think that the ACC refs have it in for UM based on the Duke miracle TD.

Great stuff as always, [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]. Thanks for taking the time to put these together.

These posts and the stills confirm a lot of the things I think I see live during games, and they give me tons of insight into things I had not noticed.

jaysus it would be week 8 by the time I finished reading all that, but I appreciate the effort

This seems to be common feedback. Got through the biggest game at least. Maybe I'll cut them down moving forward.

I'm guessing my writing is more niche writing.

I agree with the opinion that you should break these up into multiple threads, perhaps by quarter or subtopic (run D, pass D, etc.). Its difficult to foster more in-depth discussion of the subject when so much info is presented in a single post.

That said, as always, we all greatly appreciate your efforts, HV.

Our philosophy is definitely to believe our front gets there before your WR can get away from our LB’s in base, but if it were me, I’d play nickel a little more, use that as the time you spell your LB’s for rest, and not play your backup LB’s nearly as much.

Do you think we are staying in base defense too much?

Yes, buried in the post is me saying I'd play more nickel and sub out LB's less frequently. I'd rather have Bandy in coverage than McCloud.

The problem is that we got ran all over when we rushed only four against FSU, which I think will make Diaz more reluctant to get out of base. I'll probably have a statistics post about the game, but truthfully, posts on gossip type news get big views on this site, so there may not be much interest in that sort of thing here.

I had that exact quote highlighted to comment on. Was going to ask why you thought Manny was staying in base. Even when we sub, we bring in 3 LBs, which indicates to me that it isn't a personnel thing, it's a schematic/philosophy thing.

So your answer would be that we got ran all over when we rushed 4? Is that because they are going after the QB like its going to be a pass? Or are they just getting beat (and if so, why are they - with our 2 deep, someone should be stout against the run)?

I haven't had the time to get through your whole original post, so I didn't see any other thoughts you had that may have already addressed this. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
jaysus it would be week 8 by the time I finished reading all that, but I appreciate the effort

This seems to be common feedback. Got through the biggest game at least. Maybe I'll cut them down moving forward.

I'm guessing my writing is more niche writing.

I agree with the opinion that you should break these up into multiple threads, perhaps by quarter or subtopic (run D, pass D, etc.). Its difficult to foster more in-depth discussion of the subject when so much info is presented in a single post.

That said, as always, we all greatly appreciate your efforts, HV.
This would be amazing.

Great read.

Couple things. I know I'm gonna get down voted to oblivion but we gotta stop crowning everyone elite off games vs inferior opponents.

1) Mark Walton is not elite. I HATE to say it but his vision is still terrible. There were so many holes at time but he somehow managed to get the least amount of yards possible. On that 2 yard run I nearly lost it because an Elite back scores a TD with those blocks or at least get more then just 2 yards off those great blocks. When he had the outside run then he cut behind Berrios bro I don't care what you say, even on a bum ankle he should at least got the FD. Now I do understand that the O-line hasn't always been good but Mark Walton has never ran for more then 50 yards TOTAL against rivals ND, FSU, or VT his entire career here. He can run for 180 yards against Toledo all he wants but when it time to ball he show up small to many time for me to really be that devastated going forward. I'm more devastated at the depth at RB then Mark Walton although his pass blocking will be missed which is the only thing I consider elite from him, but in term of his production on the ground? It ain't that big of a loss honestly anyone can rush for under 50 yards against ND or VT. Keep in mind I'm talking about his entire career here not just this year as he is hurting but some of those runs vs FSU with great blocks was just tragic. I'm sorry I just said to say it.

2) Our Defense isn't elite. I consider our defense as a TRUE bend but don't break defense as we don't give up much points. We're not statically good at anything right now in terms of yardage. 80th against the pass and 62nd against the run. That is NOT good. Honestly, that is pretty average if not below it if you asked me. To many mental breakdowns and no discipline/missed assignment behind the D-line especially at LB. Also, you can't allow a team with a true freshman QB going into the game to have a run game to depend on. Any elite defense would of forced blackman to throw the ball 35-40+ times but instead we let them run for 200. THATS NOT ELITE. How do you let a bruiser back bust for 54 and 30 yards on you? A BRUISER BACK. Dude was basically a FB if you asked me.

3) Our LB aren't Bermuda 2.0. Not even close. Best 3 LB we've had in a while but they need to play better especially in the run game. It feels like they all regressed from their Fr. year. I don't know man, maybe we need a new LB coach because it not a good sign that they are regressing and making more freshman mistakes then when they were actual freshman with a full year and a half of college coaching with the talent they have. Concerning.

4) Our front 7 is not elite. I'm sorry, but I can't consider you elite until you can shutdown the run and hold teams to 3.4 yards per rush in the game and on the season. PERIOD. Our D-line need to make more plays in the run game by clogging the middle, getting off blocks, and making tackles for 2-3 yard gains. Also, WRAP UP LBs. I get it you got stronger in the off-season with Gus and the gang but so does your opponents. I'm tired of these missed tackles and poor gap discipline because it getting on my nerves.

5) The LBs and Refs tried their hardest to give the game to FSU. They REALLY tried. The refs were MAD questionable and the LB refused to do their jobs then you had the announcers insulting my intelligence like I ain't just see helmet to helmet without needing replay w/ the QB's helmet coming off. SMH.

DO BETTER!

Oh HEY, an overly negative post from you. Go figure. DO BETTER.

Great write up. I'd love to see a post of all the missed holding calls so it can be blasted all over social media.

Advertisement
Great read.

Couple things. I know I'm gonna get down voted to oblivion but we gotta stop crowning everyone elite off games vs inferior opponents.

1) Mark Walton is not elite. I HATE to say it but his vision is still terrible. There were so many holes at time but he somehow managed to get the least amount of yards possible. On that 2 yard run I nearly lost it because an Elite back scores a TD with those blocks or at least get more then just 2 yards off those great blocks. When he had the outside run then he cut behind Berrios bro I don't care what you say, even on a bum ankle he should at least got the FD. Now I do understand that the O-line hasn't always been good but Mark Walton has never ran for more then 50 yards TOTAL against rivals ND, FSU, or VT his entire career here. He can run for 180 yards against Toledo all he wants but when it time to ball he show up small to many time for me to really be that devastated going forward. I'm more devastated at the depth at RB then Mark Walton although his pass blocking will be missed which is the only thing I consider elite from him, but in term of his production on the ground? It ain't that big of a loss honestly anyone can rush for under 50 yards against ND or VT. Keep in mind I'm talking about his entire career here not just this year as he is hurting but some of those runs vs FSU with great blocks was just tragic. I'm sorry I just said to say it.

2) Our Defense isn't elite. I consider our defense as a TRUE bend but don't break defense as we don't give up much points. We're not statically good at anything right now in terms of yardage. 80th against the pass and 62nd against the run. That is NOT good. Honestly, that is pretty average if not below it if you asked me. To many mental breakdowns and no discipline/missed assignment behind the D-line especially at LB. Also, you can't allow a team with a true freshman QB going into the game to have a run game to depend on. Any elite defense would of forced blackman to throw the ball 35-40+ times but instead we let them run for 200. THATS NOT ELITE. How do you let a bruiser back bust for 54 and 30 yards on you? A BRUISER BACK. Dude was basically a FB if you asked me.

3) Our LB aren't Bermuda 2.0. Not even close. Best 3 LB we've had in a while but they need to play better especially in the run game. It feels like they all regressed from their Fr. year. I don't know man, maybe we need a new LB coach because it not a good sign that they are regressing and making more freshman mistakes then when they were actual freshman with a full year and a half of college coaching with the talent they have. Concerning.

4) Our front 7 is not elite. I'm sorry, but I can't consider you elite until you can shutdown the run and hold teams to 3.4 yards per rush in the game and on the season. PERIOD. Our D-line need to make more plays in the run game by clogging the middle, getting off blocks, and making tackles for 2-3 yard gains. Also, WRAP UP LBs. I get it you got stronger in the off-season with Gus and the gang but so does your opponents. I'm tired of these missed tackles and poor gap discipline because it getting on my nerves.

5) The LBs and Refs tried their hardest to give the game to FSU. They REALLY tried. The refs were MAD questionable and the LB refused to do their jobs then you had the announcers insulting my intelligence like I ain't just see helmet to helmet without needing replay w/ the QB's helmet coming off. SMH.

DO BETTER!

Oh HEY, an overly negative post from you. Go figure. DO BETTER.

Points 2 through 5 seem a little repetitive. We beat FSU. Relax.

Great stuff. Can't understand why folks would complain. Too long? Don't read it, but don't deter the guy from putting material out for those of us that can appreciate it. Vision's posts cover the games from a coach's prespective...they're gold. I for one am glad the screenshots show the video times so I can watch the plays being discussed in full. HurricaneVision, thank you brother & I hope you don't change a thing.

Last edited:
Great stuff, vision. My only nit is regarding your comment on Rosie’s lack of touch on balls. I actually think he has the best touch on balls (esp deep ones) we’ve had here in 10+ years.

My observation is more concerning touch passes around the line of scrimmage, screens, WR screens, horizontal throws that need nuance. He tends to throw it straight and hard, rather than soft and over defenders and in stride for the receiver.

Malik Rosier is really proving me wrong. I didn't expect this. I thought he'd transfer out when we recruited him. I was totally wrong.

our 3 TD's in the game do not agree with your comment

Which one of the TD's was from a horizontal throw?

Advertisement
Great stuff, vision. My only nit is regarding your comment on Rosie’s lack of touch on balls. I actually think he has the best touch on balls (esp deep ones) we’ve had here in 10+ years.

My observation is more concerning touch passes around the line of scrimmage, screens, WR screens, horizontal throws that need nuance. He tends to throw it straight and hard, rather than soft and over defenders and in stride for the receiver.

Malik Rosier is really proving me wrong. I didn't expect this. I thought he'd transfer out when we recruited him. I was totally wrong.

Yeah, I definitely could've been more clear that I'm referring to the LOS type throws that need nuance. I also indicated how wrong I've been about him as a player and believe I complimented him multiple times throughout the review.

I'm not perfect either, so if someone sees it differently, I take no offense.

Maybe I missed it but have seen very little to no credit given to our kickers and special teams in this game. FSU for the most part had poor field position when they got the ball..I know field position not one of then sexier things to discuss but I think it was one of the big keys to our win and could be even bigger against GT

Maybe I missed it but have seen very little to no credit given to our kickers and special teams in this game. FSU for the most part had poor field position when they got the ball..I know field position not one of then sexier things to discuss but I think it was one of the big keys to our win and could be even bigger against GT

I absolutely am a proponent of hidden yards and special teams plays. The very first play was of the opening return with credit given.

You might go back through the OP and see if you disagree, but there are at least a half-dozen special teams plays discussed (might even be closer to 10). Two of the punts were poor punts, that the FSU returner inexplicably let bounce and they took Miami bounces. I also believe I went over several of our return plays.

Special teams are absolutely on my radar. The plays with the highest average yards per play? Why, they're special teams plays, of course. I think ours were fairly poor in this game, so it's possible I just saw things differently than you did.

Advertisement

I absolutely am a proponent of hidden yards and special teams plays. The very first play was of the opening return with credit given.

You might go back through the OP and see if you disagree, but there are at least a half-dozen special teams plays discussed (might even be closer to 10). Two of the punts were poor punts, that the FSU returner inexplicably let bounce and they took Miami bounces. I also believe I went over several of our return plays.

Special teams are absolutely on my radar. The plays with the highest average yards per play? Why, they're special teams plays, of course. I think ours were fairly poor in this game, so it's possible I just saw things differently than you did.

Was referring to other discussions around the board. Your analysis pretty spot on. I just do not look as deep as you. My thoughts of a good kick and coverage are limited to where on the field the other team starts it's offense.

We lost the battle of field position, which IMO is the main focus of special teams. I love points off special teams, and i'm not sure this staff agrees, but the field position battle is what it's all about.

Yeah, I definitely could've been more clear that I'm referring to the LOS type throws that need nuance. I also indicated how wrong I've been about him as a player and believe I complimented him multiple times throughout the review.

I'm not perfect either, so if someone sees it differently, I take no offense.

What you wrote was clear as day to me...

Advertisement
Back