Film Breakdown - Perry

Advertisement
Good analysis on Perry versus FSU if interested.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1625151
Nice find, excellent analysis and great read from an unbiased point of view.

Here is another small piece from the same guy- Oliver Connolley

N’kosi Perry, QB, Miami
"If you’re looking for a Heisman wildcard, take a punt on N’kosi Perry.

Mark Richt was begging for the freshman to beat out Malik Rosier prior to last season. Richt had an inkling the stick-thin, dual-threat quarterback wasn’t quite ready. The finality still hurt.

Miami rolled with Rosier, and spent much of 2017 coaching around his flaws. Rosier was an admirable leader who did a decent job of keeping the offense on schedule. But he lacked the skills to topple the ACC and crash the playoff party.

Miami needs Perry. The quarterback has rare playmaking skills:

It may look unorthodox at times, but he will find a way to pick up first downs and keep the offense ticking. That may go against the control-freak over-coaching we saw from Richt with Georgia, but he’s more relaxed these days. It’s all about the spread option and off-script plays now.

Going against a Manny Diaz defense every day in practice will help.

Miami is set up to get back to Charlotte and take another crack at Dabo’s big, bad Clemson squad. To do so, a lot will fall on a young quarterback to create magic in big moments. Some flounder, some blossom. With Perry, I’m betting on the latter."

Perry has a lot of tools you like and he’s just scratching the surface, I’m intrigued for sure. The ball placement on a lot of the throws he completed vs FSU were elite throws and were not easy by any means

Advertisement
Kid is going to be a killer for us.

This weekend is scary. We need to get past UVA. If we can do that, the Richts and Brown and Dugans need to go to work watching tape and revamp this offense to make it work for what Perry does best.

I am very excited for the future.

The throw on the corner route to Cager was amazing. Pure arm strength, throwing from the left hash to the boundary, and the little shoulder dip to manipulate the CB. And no need to talk about the seem to JT4... Needless to say, the catch was phenomenal.

Great find!! !Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement
the constant pressure by their DL would have folded QBs will lesser character. I'm excited to see what this kid can do when given the protection. And it doesn't seem that Virginia has any explosive pass rushers on their team...

Awesome analysis from thescore.com. I'm all-in with Perry. Sure he's making some mistakes, but that's to be expected as a RS freshman in his 2nd start. The scary thing is he's doing elite quarterbacking . Things the avg fan doesn't notice during the game. I saw some of those next level QB'ing in the UNC game when I went back and watched the game a 2nd time on my DVR. The kid is going to get better and better each and every week. If we can get our O-Line and Special Teams together, this team could make a run at Clemson.

Last edited:
Perry has a lot of tools you like and he’s just scratching the surface, I’m intrigued for sure. The ball placement on a lot of the throws he completed vs FSU were elite throws and were not easy by any means

So your new thing is to type flatuous platitudes with no substance?

Nice work Broke.

Advertisement
the constant pressure by their DL would have folded QBs will lesser character. I'm excited to see what this kid can do when given the protection. And it doesn't seem that Virginia has any explosive pass rushers on their team...

What's encouraging to me is that he didn't fold in the face of that pass rush. And, while FSU is not a good team by anyone's standards, they are still probably the fastest team he'll face all year, barring Clemson. He shouldn't have to "adjust to the speed of the game" anymore.

The go-ahead TD to Brevin is what Malik couldn't do, or wasn't doing enough. Holding the safety despite no routes threatening the middle of the field and then delivering a dime throw is what made that play work. Yes, we had a matchup we liked, but truth be to told, FSU had that play defended but Perry beat it anyway when he kept the safety honest.

He'll have some rough spots, but there is no doubt Richt made the right call in letting Perry take the reigns. We now are looking at entering 2019 with an experienced Sophomore at QB who you want to unleash, not mitigate.

Advertisement
The go-ahead TD to Brevin is what Malik couldn't do, or wasn't doing enough. Holding the safety despite no routes threatening the middle of the field and then delivering a dime throw is what made that play work. Yes, we had a matchup we liked, but truth be to told, FSU had that play defended but Perry beat it anyway when he kept the safety honest.

He'll have some rough spots, but there is no doubt Richt made the right call in letting Perry take the reigns. We now are looking at entering 2019 with an experienced Sophomore at QB who you want to unleash, not mitigate.
Agree with you on the pass, a thing of beauty, but his pass to JT over the middle with a CB covering him and a safety coming over, he put a beautiful pass in there for JT to catch. Will say if the CB turns it could of been picked, but another example of his accuracy.

Notice how the article is complimenting footwork, resetting, reloading, managing the pocket, and quick decisions. A lot of that is coaching.

Richt is a very good QB coach and you should pay more attention.

Agreed

While I couldn't wait for us to get a better QB, and do appreciate what Rosier accomplished last year, IMO Richt put him in when Perry was really ready to play, act and lead as Miami's starting QB.

The 1st game suspension let him know that he still had things to work on and to take his role more seriously

I think that focused Kosi on being the best he could be while here on and off the field.

Agree with you on the pass, a thing of beauty, but his pass to JT over the middle with a CB covering him and a safety coming over, he put a beautiful pass in there for JT to catch. Will say if the CB turns it could of been picked, but another example of his accuracy.

On the seam route, I'm going to guess Richt said, "**** of a throw, but..."

Advertisement
Back