Field expresses thoughts on TE room, recruiting

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After Friday’s practice, Miami Hurricanes TE coach Stephen Field spoke about how he sees his group progressing within new OC Rhett Lashlee’s offense, a system that has been very kind to tight ends in the past; SMU TE Kylen Granson recorded 43 catches for 721 yards and 9 TD’s last year.

“With the tight end group, we just concentrate on working hard in our room,” Field said. “They’re excited about the new offense. These guys just work hard, are good young men, are excited to go out there every day and practice hard. We have a really, really good room, a good bond in there. The kids get along, like what's going on. It's been fun."

“Offensively there’s so much stuff we do in the pass game, run game, [Lashlee] makes it to the point kids can understand what’s going on. He’s all about making sure things are done right. These kids want to play for him. What’s so exciting in this offense is multiple players can be successful. It’s not going to be pinpointed on one individual guy, so if you work hard, you have the opportunity to get the ball in your hands.”

In 2020, Miami returns the bulk of the production they got out of the position last season, with juniors Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory combining for nearly all of Miami’s tight end targets. According to Field, Jordan is fully recovered from a foot injury that sidelined him at the end of last season and during spring.

"Brevin looks really, really good,” Field said. “He’s running really well, is very, very strong right now in his blocking. He’s really impressed me.

“Will has really, really improved being physical. His catch radius is really, really good. He’s tall, he’s strong, he’s fast, he can run.”

While 2020 looks bright at the position, the future of “Tight End U” is also well-stocked, as Field and the rest of the UM staff have locked up commitments from Independence (TX) 4-star Elijah Arroyo and local 3-star Kahlil Brantley from Miami Northwestern as part of a consensus top 10 recruiting class in 2021.

“I think that one thing we have is our head football coach is a real dude, he’s someone that’s genuine, that what he says is what he means,” Field said. “And he builds genuine relationships. Recruits recognize that. My thing is, in recruiting, it’s really about understanding and getting to know the young men and their families, not just telling them what they want to hear football-wise. Genuine relationships, that’s key.”

Advertisement
Don't tease homie give me some hypotheticals. Lined up offset shovel pass between the guard and tackle?
In the Red zone you can run more 13 personnel which will open more gaps/running lanes for Defenses to defend against which forces them to put more defenders in the box & because we have a skilled running QB like King we can get real creative & have similar plays to what the Ravens like to run with Lamar & our 3 TE sets.

You can run 13 out of Shotgun too, especially if you have versatile TE's that are good route runners & receivers like we have, because basically you'll have the Defense thinking run having to play with a 7 man front & you can still go with a Zone buster where you have your 2 stacked TE's run release routes vs Zone coverages where they'll be wide open because the Safety will have to make a split decision if he's going to cover the seam or the out route, all the QB has to do is maintain good eyes to freeze up the Safety & one of those TE's should be streaking down the sideline or wide open in the middle of the field.

And with a very good running QB, the Read option will give Defenses fits, that OLB won't know wtf to do or when he should bite down on the handoff & just attack the mesh or just focus on the QB.

Advertisement
In the Red zone you can run more 13 personnel which will open more gaps/running lanes for Defenses to defend against which forces them to put more defenders in the box & because we have a skilled running QB like King we can get real creative & have similar plays to what the Ravens like to run with Lamar & our 3 TE sets.

You can run 13 out of Shotgun too, especially if you have versatile TE's that are good route runners & receivers like we have, because basically you'll have the Defense thinking run having to play with a 7 man front & you can still go with a Zone buster where you have your 2 stacked TE's run release routes vs Zone coverages where they'll be wide open because the Safety will have to make a split decision if he's going to cover the seam or the out route, all the QB has to do is maintain good eyes to freeze up the Safety & one of those TE's should be streaking down the sideline or wide open in the middle of the field.

And with a very good running QB, the Read option will give Defenses fits, that OLB won't know wtf to do or when he should bite down on the handoff & just attack the mesh or just focus on the QB.
Now we're talking. Respect...

Truly hope this isnt Jordan’s last season with us but if it is I hope the kid balls out.

I think Larry Hodges can be a secret weapon for us, especially in the Red-zone.
There's a specific spot for him in Lashlee's offense that is a poor fit for Brevin or Mallory. Lashlee moves an H-Back around all over his backfield to use on leads and counters. The position is the recipient of some WIDE open play action passes every now and then. Hodges has all the attributes you want for the role.

There's a specific spot for him in Lashlee's offense that is a poor fit for Brevin or Mallory. Lashlee moves an H-Back around all over his backfield to use on leads and counters. The position is the recipient of some WIDE open play action passes every now and then. Hodges has all the attributes you want for the role.
yes

Advertisement
I'm going to need to see some production from tightends named other than brevin jordan, so far mallory has looked like trash and looked the same or worst from his 1st to last game, which is where coach diaz being a new headcoach was phucking up, letting all these ****'s who ain't do a damyum thing yet keep running the mouth in interviews as if they are the leaders or Heart & Soul of the team, coaches included, same standard needs to be applied to some of theses coaches as well, ***** they doing in the forefront, order needs to be established, ****'s need to earn the right to do public interviews!

I'm going to need to see some production from tightends named other than brevin jordan, so far mallory has looked like trash and looked the same or worst from his 1st to last game, which is where coach diaz being a new headcoach was phucking up, letting all these ****'s who ain't do a damyum thing yet keep running the mouth in interviews as if they are the leaders or Heart & Soul of the team, coaches included, same standard needs to be applied to some of theses coaches as well, ***** they doing in the forefront, order needs to be established, ****'s need to earn the right to do public interviews!
You gotta be trollin'. Gotta be. No way in **** you're serious with this bull****.

You gotta be trollin'. Gotta be. No way in **** you're serious with this bull****.
Sir, do you watch UM games, mallory played like a troll. I'm not sure how "analytics" are applied to sports, but I do understand WTF a "plus minus ratio's" is, and no matter what it's called, that **** Mallory single handedly wiped out several postive game winning type plays from his 1st game to almost his last, I just don't recall much of that La-Tech game, but in particular between his **** poor run blocking and his butterfingers, he's one **** that needs to STFU, I posted this before the season last year, WTF was mallory to be doing all those interviews trying to tell us how much better enos already's offense was over coach richt, I knew he didn't know WTF he was talking about back than, no need in going over how that turned out. So now I have to ask, WTF are you talking about, so please enlighten us on the positive impact/game changing plays mallory had, he should've redshirted after it was clear the 1st 2 games he physically didn't belong out there. Maybe this year he'll show something cause he has the talent, but coach diaz got this man talking like he's an already established all ACC tight-end, **** need to earn the right to talk, this is how you know order hasn't been established amongst the team yet.

Advertisement
Sir, do you watch UM games, mallory played like a troll. I'm not sure how "analytics" are applied to sports, but I do understand WTF a "plus minus ratio's" is, and no matter what it's called, that **** Mallory single handedly wiped out several postive game winning type plays from his 1st game to almost his last, I just don't recall much of that La-Tech game, but in particular between his **** poor run blocking and his butterfingers, he's one **** that needs to STFU, I posted this before the season last year, WTF was mallory to be doing all those interviews trying to tell us how much better enos already's offense was over coach richt, I knew he didn't know WTF he was talking about back than, no need in going over how that turned out. So now I have to ask, WTF are you talking about, so please enlighten us on the positive impact/game changing plays mallory had, he should've redshirted after it was clear the 1st 2 games he physically didn't belong out there. Maybe this year he'll show something cause he has the talent, but coach diaz got this man talking like he's an already established all ACC tight-end, **** need to earn the right to talk, this is how you know order hasn't been established amongst the team yet.
He should've redshirted huh? See, this is how I know you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. Will Mallory should've redshirted in 2019? I'll let you try and figure out why that's ridiculous. Answer this question: Who led the team in receiving the final three games of 2019?

He should've redshirted huh? See, this is how I know you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. Will Mallory should've redshirted in 2019? I'll let you try and figure out why that's ridiculous. Answer this question: Who led the team in receiving the final three games of 2019?
You obviously don't understand football, whether is was 2018 or 2019 mallory being on the field was useless, if you think his performances the last 3 games justified him not redshirting put the pipe down. You talking as if will didn't play this year we would've only have won 3 games this year instead of 6. You can run an offense that compensates for tightends, most teams in college football barely use their tightends, and since will mallory was to feeble to block the last 2 years, he shouldn't have been out their, he basically made no difference.

Same with jade, he should've redshirted as well, nothing new, those 2 guys if their is a season will be improved but they both waisted 2 years, the measly stats they both have, they both can pass them in less than half a season, going into their 3rd year, which should be both of their redshirt years, they should be much improved, all jade had on his resume as a True Freshman, is that blocked punt against a real low level team, and that penalty he got against FSU.

We'll see what mallory does, you hyping up and highlighting the last 3 games as if they were some type of Beacon of Light is comical, F.i.u., duke and La. Tech, man GTFOH, I can promise you, coach richt didn't sign mallory to have strong games just against those 3. You should really consider your next reply!

You obviously don't understand football, whether is was 2018 or 2019 mallory being on the field was useless, if you think his performances the last 3 games justified him not redshirting put the pipe down. You talking as if will didn't play this year we would've only have won 3 games this year instead of 6. You can run an offense that compensates for tightends, most teams in college football barely use their tightends, and since will mallory was to feeble to block the last 2 years, he shouldn't have been out their, he basically made no difference.

Same with jade, he should've redshirted as well, nothing new, those 2 guys if their is a season will be improved but they both waisted 2 years, the measly stats they both have, they both can pass them in less than half a season, going into their 3rd year, which should be both of their redshirt years, they should be much improved, all jade had on his resume as a True Freshman, is that blocked punt against a real low level team, and that penalty he got against FSU.

We'll see what mallory does, you hyping up and highlighting the last 3 games as if they were some type of Beacon of Light is comical, F.i.u., duke and La. Tech, man GTFOH, I can promise you, coach richt didn't sign mallory to have strong games just against those 3. You should really consider your next reply!
You made the claim that "mallory has looked like trash and looked the same or worst from his 1st to last game". That's demonstrably false. Just admit you were wrong.

Advertisement
You made the claim that "mallory has looked like trash and looked the same or worst from his 1st to last game". That's demonstrably false. Just admit you were wrong.
Did his blocking improve all of last year, **** no, if what mallory did against F.i.u., duke and La-Tech impresses you, its just more proof that not only has the players standards have gone down, but many so called UM fans as well. Are you foolishly still trying to hype up will mallory, who's next on your list, transfer tate. When will mallory shows up against real teams than talk, you sound like a Got damyum clown, did will mallory play against the gaytors, how bout Virginia Tech, Virginia, Georgia Tech or Fsu, was he suspended for the BETHUNE COOKMAN game, man GTFOH and stop while you're behind. That guy wasn't even mediocre last year, his problem is, he thinks he's on brevin's level just because they came in together, but brevin was way more physically mature than him out the gate!

Did his blocking improve all of last year, **** no, if what mallory did against F.i.u., duke and La-Tech impresses you, its just more proof that not only has the players standards have gone down, but many so called UM fans as well. Are you foolishly still trying to hype up will mallory, who's next on your list, transfer tate. When will mallory shows up against real teams than talk, you sound like a Got damyum clown, did will mallory play against the gaytors, how bout Virginia Tech, Virginia, Georgia Tech or Fsu, was he suspended for the BETHUNE COOKMAN game, man GTFOH and stop while you're behind. That guy wasn't even mediocre last year, his problem is, he thinks he's on brevin's level just because they came in together, but brevin was way more physically mature than him out the gate!
'Got damyum clown'
T.R.O.L.L.
I'm done with this crap.

'Got damyum clown'
T.R.O.L.L.
I'm done with this crap.
Bout time, singing the praises of a liability is not smart, took you longer than it should've to smarten up, but that's consistent with these new so called UM fans.

Advertisement
Back