FGCU Games 2 and 3

Pitt beat Georgia Tech twice by 1 run and one of those games in the 14th inning. At Home. They could have easily been swept. You need to win your home series against weaker teams. If you think Pitt has anywhere near the baseball talent Miami has you're wrong.

So Pitt won twice against the team that is 5-1 against Florida State and Miami, but you don't think Pitt has any talent.

You don't understand how much baseball talent exists in the world if you think Pitt is nowhere close to Miami. Pitt has had about 25 players drafted since 2010. They're not putting up flyers around campus asking kids to try out. They get D1 talent.

You're also grossly overstating the amount of talent at Miami. We haven't been able to dominate teams like Rutgers and Dartmouth. What makes you think we can dominate Pittsburgh?

Advertisement
So Pitt won twice against the team that is 5-1 against Florida State and Miami, but you don't think Pitt has any talent.

You don't understand how much baseball talent exists in the world if you think Pitt is nowhere close to Miami. Pitt has had about 25 players drafted since 2010. They're not putting up flyers around campus asking kids to try out. They get D1 talent.

You're also grossly overstating the amount of talent at Miami. We haven't been able to dominate teams like Rutgers and Dartmouth. What makes you think we can dominate Pittsburgh?

We are playing better as of late than we did when the season started. I think you are misinterpreting my point. I'm saying IF we want to make the postseason, we need to sweep. Pitt isn't a pushover but they are not an ACC heavyweight. 2/3 should be customary at home, but it will not get us an at large bid at this point in the season.

We are playing better as of late than we did when the season started. I think you are misinterpreting my point. I'm saying IF we want to make the postseason, we need to sweep. Pitt isn't a pushover but they are not an ACC heavyweight. 2/3 should be customary at home, but it will not get us an at large bid at this point in the season.

That might be your point now, but that wasn't your point before. You distinctly said that we should sweep a northern team and that there is no comparison in talent. You were wrong on both points, but I think you realize that now.

"when you're at home playing against a team from up north, I expect a sweep. There's no way they can match our talent, even with the gaping holes on the roster."

That might be your point now, but that wasn't your point before. You distinctly said that we should sweep a northern team and that there is no comparison in talent. You were wrong on both points, but I think you realize that now.

"when you're at home playing against a team from up north, I expect a sweep. There's no way they can match our talent, even with the gaping holes on the roster."

1. I do expect a sweep
2. The talent gap between us and Pitt is wide. Players drafted since 2010: Pitt 23 Miami 37 (not including all of Miami's players that were drafted out of high school and still made it to campus)

Good lord. Does game 1 change your mind at all?

Miami is 16-21. Miami doesn’t have a distinct talent advantage over anyone in the ACC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Canes won 7-1 for their 5th straight win. Cabezas had a great outing outside of a rocky 5th. It appears he’ll pitch next week against Stetson and the ACC Tourney opener. McMahon should slot into the Sunday role against VT and BC.

Veliz warmed up in the 9th so it appears he’s available for the stretch run. Hammond had another solid relief outing. Mediavilla lasted all of one batter.

Cloonan and Gil continue to make great contact at the plate, with Gil finally pulling his average above .200. Hopefully they can keep it going until the end of the season and head off to their summer league teams with momentum.

Burns appeared to pull his hamstring in the on deck circle. Not really sure how it happened but he was on crutches after the game. Given where we are in the season, a pull or tear would likely mean the end of his college career.

The team needs to go 5-2 to finish the regular season at .500. It still seems like a bit of a stretch with this team, but it’s doable with our remaining schedule.

Seeing some good signs, but still a very disappointing season. It would be nice if they could rally and get above .500, finish in the top-50 of the RPI, and set themselves up for a good year next year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back