FGC GAME

BP Joe

Recruit
Who are we facing tonight, Clayton Kershaw? Eight K's thru 4 innings. Do these midweek opponents throw their ace vs us? If so, seems like bad coaching as their best shot at postseason would seem to be winning their conference.

Advertisement
No, he's their mid-week guy. They're just a good team with starters. A little limited in bullpen guys.

It's being broadcast through their website if anyone is interested.

As has been the case for what seems like years, Miami gets the first two on, Hunter Tackett can't get a bunt down, then hits into the only thing he can't do- a double play. Hunter absolutely has to make sure he hits the ball the other way in that situation.

It's just really getting hard to find ways to put lipstick on this pig, which is why I haven't written an article in a bit.

Advertisement
small ball fundamentals are trash, not so bad that morris changed the philosophy of this program but how bad they are at it

If Lovelady takes over this program, we’re gonna start winning again. We used to win a lot. Now we don’t. We lose to FIU. We lose to FGCU. And we do it because their coaches are much smarter, much more cunning than ours. If we make the right decision, this team is gonna be so great, and they are gonna win win win, go back to winning. We’re gonna win so much, you are going to get sick of winning. Make Canes Baseball Great Again. MCBGA!

For the record, I do not endorse or dissent with any sitting president on this site, just believe I needed to make a point.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Bunt Isn't that difficilt. Why Can't They Bunt
You are right. Bunting isn't hard. Yet so many at all levels of baseball do it wrong. I'm realizing that I had really good coaches in high school and college.

First of all, I can't believe this coaching staff hasn't corrected this problem. If you watch all the guys that are supposed to be sacrifice bunting, you'll see each guy with a slightly different approach. Some have the bat flat. Some are kneeling with a knee on the ground. Some trying to bunt for a hit when their supposed to be sacrificing. All of those are wrong. That's problem #1. Every guy should be bunting with the same approach.

Here's how I was taught and I was a power hitting 1st baseman.

1. Square around early. Your going to sacrifice so there's no need to try to trick the defense.

2. Your posture should be athletic similar to what a middle linebacker in football stands right before the snap of the football. Drop your back foot towards the plate and rotate your hips slightly towards the pitcher. Bend from the waste and on the balls of your feet.

3. Hold the bat out in front of the plate at a 45 degree angle. 90% of players do this wrong. You bunt with the bat at this angle to insure the ball goes downward and not a popup even on a high pitch. This bat angle should NEVER EVER change. You start at the top of the strike zone. You should never try to bunt a ball above your hands on a sacrifice because it's a ball and you have a greater chance of popping it up. The only things that changs when the pitch is on the way is to lower his
Your arms in conjunction with the legs adjusting to the level of the pitch but not changing the angle of the bat. That angle must remain. I see 99% of the guys doing this wrong.

4. When bunting you are a catcher not a hitter!!!! Catch the ball with the bat. DON'T HIT OR PUSH AT THE BALL. CATCH IT!!!! This gives you total control of the direction and pace of the bunt.

This video is basically how I was taught many years ago. Check it out.

Another one from one of the best bunters ever Juan Pierre.

I think Morris needs to show these videos to his players before every practice and game.

You are right. Bunting isn't hard. Yet so many at all levels of baseball do it wrong. I'm realizing that I had really good coaches in high school and college.

First of all, I can't believe this coaching staff hasn't corrected this problem. If you watch all the guys that are supposed to be sacrifice bunting, you'll see each guy with a slightly different approach. Some have the bat flat. Some are kneeling with a knee on the ground. Some trying to bunt for a hit when their supposed to be sacrificing. All of those are wrong. That's problem #1. Every guy should be bunting with the same approach.

1. Square around early. Your going to sacrifice so there's no need to try to trick the defense.

2. Your posture should be athletic similar to what a middle linebacker in football stands right before the snap of the football. Drop your back foot towards the plate and rotate your hips slightly towards the pitcher. Bend from the waste and on the balls of your feet.

3. Hold the bat out in front of the plate at a 45 degree angle. 90% of players do this wrong. You bunt with the bat at this angle to insure the ball goes downward and not a popup even on a high pitch. This bat angle should NEVER EVER change. You start at the top of the strike zone. You should never try to bunt a ball above your hands on a sacrifice because it's a ball and you have a greater chance of popping it up. The only things that changs when the pitch is on the way is to lower his
Your arms in conjunction with the legs adjusting to the level of the pitch but not changing the angle of the bat. That angle must remain. I see 99% of the guys doing this wrong.

4. When bunting you are a catcher not a hitter!!!! Catch the ball with the bat. DON'T HIT OR PUSH AT THE BALL. CATCH IT!!!! This gives you total control of the direction and pace of the bunt.

I think Morris needs to show these videos to his players before every practice and game.

Please have at 3 and Dimare bunting all the time. It’s never worth it unless you have 2 on and no outs, but players not getting bunts down isn’t on them. You can work on it all day, every day, but if that kid doesn’t want to do it he won’t. Bunting isn’t as much fundamentals as people make you believe, it’s about want too.
But to comment on your break down and video, you’re never supposed to bend at the waste. If you bend at the waste you’re lunging and moving your head. You bend at the knees, if you can’t get down to the ball then it’s too low and will be a ball. And you’ve also hit my biggest problem with bunting. The 45 degree angle is a lie. To maximize your chances at putting it in play is keeping it around a 20-25 degree angle. Simple physics and having played the game will prove that. If you watch players that pop up bunts, it’s not bc their angle is off it’s bc they lunge at the ball or move their hands toward it. The key to getting hints down is maximizing the surface area of contact, 45 degree angles decrease that.

Putting all the other issues aside,our mid-week failures are the greatest indication that we are getting out coached. Lesser talented teams exposing our weaknesses and squeaking out wins by doing what they do best and keeping us from doing what we do best (honestly I’m not even sure I know what that is at this point).

Advertisement

It honestly baffles me how many of these guys don't understand proper bunting fundamentals. I learned these exact steps in Little League. You'd think someone would have taught them this at some point. The coaching staff needs to recognize that we're a terrible bunting team and either stop bunting or teach proper bunting.

I also wonder how much of it is mental for these guys. I've seen too many bunt attempts where our guys have a proper stance and then try to bunt something just above their hands. That's bad mental discipline.

This ties directly into the recruiting flaws I've mentioned before. We hit the travel ball circuit and recruit guys who look great in a uniform. And what do they NOT do in travel ball? Bunt. It's all about showcasing your tools. So then we see that guys who have never been asked to bunt can't get a bunt down.

Putting all the other issues aside,our mid-week failures are the greatest indication that we are getting out coached. Lesser talented teams exposing our weaknesses and squeaking out wins by doing what they do best and keeping us from doing what we do best (honestly I’m not even sure I know what that is at this point).
The lack of execution is killing this team. Against FGCU, with runners on 1st and 2nd with NOBODY out, bunt them over to 2nd and 3rd, then Cloonan strikes out. He took 2 pitches that were called strikes before even swinging. In that situation, the batter's job is to put the ball in play NOT to be selective like he's a leadoff hitter. They keep getting themselves in 0-2 and 1-2 counts without even swinging the bat. It's inexcusable with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs. I keep seeing this over and over and over again. I don't know what Morris says to these kids. If I'm coaching this happens 1 time, then I'm sending a message benching the player and getting in his face about it.

The second thing is bunting OMG!!! Again, last night vs FGCU, top the 9th runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out, Tackett can't get the bunt down. He uses bad technique and pops up a bunt for strike one. Then takes a curveball for strike two, followed by a groundout into a double play. You CANNOT take pitches for strikes when you are sacrifice bunting. You CAN'T take borederline pitches for strikes in any count when sacrifice bunting. You have to bunt the ball even if the pitch is close so you don't risk getting to two strikes.

As poorly as this team hits, their fundamentals are even worse!!!! If they would just execute the plays that are there to be made, they would have 3-5 more wins.

If this team fails to make the post season, it will be their lack of fundamentals that does them in. 1-5 in mid week games is inexcusable. Especially how well our pitching has performed. Federman has an ERA under 2.0. He should be undefeated.

Advertisement
Back