Feedback on the Jamal Carter targeting penalty?

Advertisement
Two good examples in this game regarding targeting:

1. Matthew Thomas - That's why the rule is in place. He headhunted our defensless QB, smashed him helmet to helmet, and was rightfully kicked out of the game. *******.

2. Jamal Carter - This is where the rule sucks, or at least the referees trying to err on the side of caution trying to enforce it. Carter hit used his shoulder and hit the WR in the chest. Not to mention the WR is small, so Carter did particularly well to get low enough. But basically, if it's a hard hit (read: if you blast someone) and you're anywhere close to the upper part of the guy, there's a good chance you get hosed. And Carter got hosed. That was a great hit.

This.

The two calls seemed like footage from a referee training video. It's like we saw textbook targeting and textbook clean-hit-that-shouldn't-get-flagged.

Richt said, in essence, on WQAM, that he did not believe that Targeting was properly applied in Carter's situation. He believes that Carter hit the guy as they coach it so he can't be mad at him.

He was trying to find out whether the review decision was made by the replay official in the booth in the building or by an official in the ACC office.

I would bet ACC replay official Joe Ryder made the call. Big FSU fan kids graduated from there and one was the local FSU booster president. He always has our UM FSU game and I think the ACC needs to stop this crap. I want out of the ACC. Richt is learning just how bad the refs are in this conference and how much they want UM down.

Pete brought this up yesterday from a different angle and we all down voted him. Maybe there's something it.

I don't like the ACC either as they always favor tobacco road in Carolina and Virginia and everyone else is a 2nd class citizen.

As bad as that call was, the phantom holding call cost us a TD and the game.

This is what kills me about the people whining that we aren't good enough to beat FSU. Richt called an atrocious game, Kaaya was inconsistent, and WRs were dropping passes left and right, and yet we likely would have won but for one of the biggest referee ***** jobs I've ever seen. This was WWE "Special Guest Referee" level officiating.

Advertisement
Richt said, in essence, on WQAM, that he did not believe that Targeting was properly applied in Carter's situation. He believes that Carter hit the guy as they coach it so he can't be mad at him.

He was trying to find out whether the review decision was made by the replay official in the booth in the building or by an official in the ACC office.

I would bet ACC replay official Joe Ryder made the call. Big FSU fan kids graduated from there and one was the local FSU booster president. He always has our UM FSU game and I think the ACC needs to stop this crap. I want out of the ACC. Richt is learning just how bad the refs are in this conference and how much they want UM down.

Have always hated the ACC. Never wanted us in that conference. Not sure if the B1G wants another team similar to Rutgers or Maryland (Sorry, but that's all we are now) or if Texas would let us in the Big 12, but I'd love to be out of this tobacco road conference.

Pete brought this up yesterday from a different angle and we all down voted him. Maybe there's something it.

I don't like the ACC either as they always favor tobacco road in Carolina and Virginia and everyone else is a 2nd class citizen.

This. People lost there dam minds over Pete's post but regardless of the outcome of the game its a pretty egregious and avoidable conflict of interest from the ACC.

Watch the 1st quarter again, Matthew Thomas targeted Kaaya the same way earlier in the game before he was eventually caught. The Miami natives who jumped ship to FSU, all harbor wild resentment towards the Canes. They need us to be unsuccessful in order to justify their treason.

As far as the calls, Carter's was clearly legal and the worse part was having to listen to Herbstreit and Fowler being intellectually dishonest as if it were a "gray area" call that shouldn't be overturned.

Advertisement

Have always hated the ACC. Never wanted us in that conference. Not sure if the B1G wants another team similar to Rutgers or Maryland (Sorry, but that's all we are now) or if Texas would let us in the Big 12, but I'd love to be out of this tobacco road conference.

If we bolted for the B1G, our recruiting and gate would go through the roof. Kids want to be on tv with OSU and the Wolverines every year. Gate would be Monster. People would forget about the Dolphins.

We're Miami. With our kids, it would be us against Urban Liar.

Was at the game. Heard it was a bad call from an unbias watcher. That said it was Carter being Carter. No need for the kill shot on the play. Cost the team 3 downs and potentially the game at that point.

Advertisement

This. People lost there dam minds over Pete's post but regardless of the outcome of the game its a pretty egregious and avoidable conflict of interest from the ACC.

**** Pete. He is using everything in his power ..... Official with FSU connections, Cook, the one that got away...,etc.., to take attention away from his hero that **** the bed.

Carter was targeting, he just missed

Why don't you go back and watch it. He turns away before making contact. If he was trying, the crown of his helmet would have cracked him right in the mouth.

Exactly. If Carter wanted to cripple that cat, he would've. Carter could've ended dudes season if this was back in 2004. He clearly was trying to make a solid defensive play w/o violating the targeting rule.

I can see it either way - definitely wasn't an easy call. But in my eyes he was targeting and missed.

Carter got ejected last year vs. Nebraska for doing the same thing in the same situation. Tight game late in the 4th. He sized the receiver up, drops his helmet, delivers the blow. Same play, he just happened to hit the receivers head vs. Nebraska and just happened to miss vs. FSU.

"Technically" Carter didn't hit the helmet, so he shouldn't have been ejected. I think what did Carter in was the little forearm shiver to the receivers head as he's going down. Without that shiver to the head, he's fine. But I think that shiver showed the refs that dude wanted a kill shot.

I think he got ejected for the intention instead of the contact.

Carter 1.jpg

Carter 2.jpg

Carter 3.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back