Feds Rule Against The NCAA...

Why can't the school that everyone claims has plenty of money poney up for those sports? I'm not saying they should, but if people around here are so sure we have lots of money for coaches and whatnot, why are we suddenly poor when it's crew or diving?

There's limitless money one minute, the next minute the girls stole it all.

It's not about money man, if we have scholarships for Crew/diving/golf for men, then we have to have just that many for the gals.

Maybe they can't field other women's sports due to lack of facilities (softball) or interest (crew/diving/golf???)

I don't have all of the answers, I just know that holding an athletic program hostage to equal schollies across the board when football takes up 85 is asinine.

I've seem women question why football needs that many. Seriously, look into it man it's awful.

Advertisement
It's not about money man, if we have scholarships for Crew/diving/golf for men, then we have to have just that many for the gals.

Maybe they can't field other women's sports due to lack of facilities (softball) or interest (crew/diving/golf???)

I don't have all of the answers, I just know that holding an athletic program hostage to equal schollies across the board when football takes up 85 is asinine.

I've seem women question why football needs that many. Seriously, look into it man it's awful.
This right here. A lot of folks don’t understand what title IX means. Because of football we have to dole out 85 scholarships to women’s sports which as a whole represent a huge drain on a schools budget. At 50k a year just for tuition + housing, food, books, travel, practice facilities, etc. All this for one person who will generate no income to the school and essentially represents nothing but a parasitic cost. Title IX is garbage and holds schools hostage. Especially private schools. Miami has to therefore keep most other men’s sports down to a minimum except for those who can pay for themselves (basketball, baseball, football) because if they had other men’s sports they have to offer the same amount of schollies to women.

If the feds force schools to pay players, then schools will begin suing the feds over title 9.

Because if we're saying that college sports is just a business, and that players are employees, then name me one other business that is forced to hire 50% women?
Better yet, why must they carry sports that don't make money. Drop everything but football and men's basketball.

Because of football we have to dole out 85 scholarships to women’s sports which as a whole represent a huge drain on a schools budget.

There's men's sports that don't make money either.

When's the last time you've watched UM compete in men's cross country, diving, Tennis, & Track & Field?

Last edited:
Better yet, why must they carry sports that don't make money. Drop everything but football and men's basketball.

Exactly...although I would disagree about women's basketball.

I would assume that our women's bball team at least breaks even...and the Women's NCAA Tourney the last 2 years has either been just as good, or better than the Men's Tourney. Yet they've been relegated to ESPN10 or some $h!t, while on the main ESPN they've showed some boring ***, end of the year NBA game that's usually a blowout.

Advertisement

I'd watch UM softball...flag football too if it was an NCAA sport.

That's small-time thinking. You give them parking spaces, you don't want them late to class because they couldn't find a spot. Just one more educational expense. They probably need educational trips to Hawaii during the summer too. There's almost no end to what you could turn into an educational item.
Of course, since Miami is big in marine biology.

Mansions on campus for football players? You know, so they can get to class? Their own private libraries in said mansions? Gold plated bed posts? For sleep?

Advertisement
If the feds force schools to pay players, then schools will begin suing the feds over title 9.

Because if we're saying that college sports is just a business, and that players are employees, then name me one other business that is forced to hire 50% women?
50% of women is not Title 9

Title 9 is have the number of sports and scholarships that are proportional to the ratio of your student body.

sorta.

Either way it's just another loophole for the Alabum@$$es, Clemdumps, & USheA's of the world to exploit:

"A judge ruled against the NCAA on Friday night in a federal antitrust lawsuit, saying football and basketball players should be permitted to receive more compensation from schools but only if the benefits are tied to education.

The ruling Friday night from U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken in Oakland, California, said the NCAA cannot "limit compensation or benefits related to education." That means more scholarship money to pursue postgraduate degrees or finish undergraduate degrees and items that could be considered school supplies such as computers."

Not that I disagree with the ruling but big money schools will exploit this **** via the book and "supplies" market. Book industry dirty as ****....for real.

Advertisement

This is not a well thought out comment. Look at the NFL.

Advertisement
Back