Favorite Canes Moment

TurnoverChain

HIT STICK BUST D*CK
2001 vs Penn State. I grew up in NJ where my dad was a Miami alum but my moms brothers were all Pedophile State alums. I was already a Canes fan but that opening night was amazing. Not sure what the forums were like that offseason. How much confidence was there about the 01 team before the season and how much did it change after they changed Paterno’s diaper in front of the entire country?

Advertisement
1991 Mobil Cotton Bowl Classic

Tough season but it gave us this gem as a finally.

2001 vs Penn State. I grew up in NJ where my dad was a Miami alum but my moms brothers were all Pedophile State alums. I was already a Canes fan but that opening night was amazing. Not sure what the forums were like that offseason. How much confidence was there about the 01 team before the season and how much did it change after they changed Paterno’s diaper in front of the entire country?

Same, they tried to rally those ******* scumbags around that Telafarro kid that got hurt & we still ******* molley wooped their ***. Best part is it was in the cult ****hole stadium. I wish that place would get nuked on a Saturday.

So many hard chose just one so here I go 87 comeback win against fsu.and the 2003 comeback win against florida.

Advertisement
I arrived at The U in 2001 as a lifelong diehard, and had followed the program's demise and rebirth through the 90's. After the '98 season it was becoming obvious what the team could be. When Miami got slighted for the title shot in 2000 (no question we would have rolled Oklahoma in that game), there was just a sense that it was f***ing ON.

I think at Penn State was the opener that year, and I knew we'd throttle them.

Favorite memory would be either Wide Right III or Wide Left I. Was at Wide Left I... that game was completely insane. And it was a noon game, which meant I was (as a student and as was my responsibility) COMPLETELY hammered, and it was somewhere around two thousand degrees outside.

Twhiz is right on 2003 vs. Florida. Also the 2004(?) Louisville game at the OB. Both crazy night games.

There are many, but I have to go back to my first game.
'83 UM-FSU in the Doak.. Jeff Davis put it straight through the uprights in the final play of the game for the 17-16 win.
Ball nearly landed right in my lap.

I don't want to insult anybody, but how can it be anything other than the 1984 Orange Bowl and Ken Calhoun's play?

That is simply the play that made Miami the U.

Chatelain: Calhoun foiling NU's two-point try in 1984 Orange Bowl elevated Miami’s program
I kinda disagree with that.....Kelly too Brodsky for an 80yd TD against #1 Penn St in 1981 was every bit as important than the tip.....1st off...even if Nebraska makes 2pt conv...there still was a min left....and we had the best Long range FG Kicker in america...not to mention Kosar riddling their secondary all night...(Brown...Dennison...Shakespeare)...
The 81 Win against #1 PSU...Was the win that showed America the U was more than just relevent....I was at the game...rainy...about 40,000 in attendance....

Advertisement
I kinda disagree with that.....Kelly too Brodsky for an 80yd TD against #1 Penn St in 1981 was every bit as important than the tip.....1st off...even if Nebraska makes 2pt conv...there still was a min left....and we had the best Long range FG Kicker in america...not to mention Kosar riddling their secondary all night...(Brown...Dennison...Shakespeare)...
The 81 Win against #1 PSU...Was the win that showed America the U was more than just relevent....I was at the game...rainy...about 40,000 in attendance....
Not only that....but that 81 Team in my opinion is EASILY UMs most underrated team ever....they beat 5 Ranked teams...including FSU...ND...UF...& #1Penn St ...If not for Horrendous Calls/Non calls against/for us, against Texas and Ole Miss....we not only play for NC....but Win it...
Danny Fords Clemson team wanted NO PART of UMs Defense....

I don't want to insult anybody, but how can it be anything other than the 1984 Orange Bowl and Ken Calhoun's play?

Chatelain: Calhoun foiling NU's two-point try in 1984 Orange Bowl elevated Miami’s program

Yeah, I got to go with that one. All the other great ones came because of it. Plus, I won almost every penny two bus loads of Cornhuskers fans had with them. They were staying at the Bal Habour hotel accross from our home and I was taking Miami even at 3 to 1. They soaked it up. Hotel manager held the money, so I was there to collect when they got back from the game. I have to admit they were gracious losers and heaped praise on our team and fans. I bought the first 3 rounds at the bar so that might have influenced them.

Aside from the simple fact that we won, that might have been the greatest college football game ever. Under dog jumps out to surprising lead. Storied championship program with what many called greatest team ever, come back and ties the game. Then same thing happens again when the upstart doesn’t fold. Neither team quits and both play for the win. Meanwhile Joe Willie sits on our bench at the very spot he won the greatest upset in NFL history years before. What a game. What a finish.

Cotton Bowl vs Texas referee ******* at coach Ericson at halftime about penalties Ericson replies "THIS GAME IS ALREADY OVER" and runs to locker room.

This defines who we are in all the replies here they all mean the same .

GOCANES

Advertisement
Wide right I
Somehow we got FSU booster seats and were in the front row right behind FSU's bench. After they all thought the field goal was good, turning around and running up through the garnet sea of disappointment to go climb the fence and high five the players as they went into the locker room.. easily my favorite Canes moment.

No doubt a huge moment in program history but I was four. I never witnessed that moment live and I'm sure quite a few posters here weren't even born yet.

For me personally, it has to be some combination of the Brock Berlin comeback game against UFail and the 2000 FSU/Miami classic in the Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
Wide Left - beat F$U on a last second miss on my birthday. Doesn't get much better than that.

Loudest moment, by far, was Devin Hester's KO return against the Gators. Been going to Canes games since 81 and I'd never felt the OB shake like it did at that moment.

It was insane.

Best moment was Stanley Shakespeare at the end of the Nebraska game. Without that play, do the wheels spin in the same direction, Howard to the USFL and Jimmy really getting this thing cranked up to Defcon 5?

Favorite moment?

Impossible to decide. Bandy's INT, wide right, Dorsey to Shockey, Vinnie with his torn jersey to Irvin, the entire Faust crying game, Berlin mocking the Gators come to mind.

Advertisement
Back