Fate of Gerald Willis playing in 2015 is in UF's hands

canefan2000

Recruit
As part of the waiver process, Gerald Willis being able to play this year would have to be approved by UF. He also needs to be doing well academically. Also we have to prove he isn't allowed back at Florida. Everyone cross your fingers that we catch UF on a good day.

Advertisement
Thats interesting. I didnt think thw ncaa would let him play at all comsidering the fact that he went D1 route after a dimissal. Thats an automatic sit. So the fact they are even considering it its kinda crazy.

Advertisement
Actually UF has been nicer to us then we have to them. They let Brock go unconditionally. We let the Robert Marve from Tampa go but not to Florida.

I'd be shocked if he's permitted to play this season. I'm not really sure I understand the angle, "since he was kicked off one team he should be granted a waiver from the normal NCAA rules". I appreciate that UM is pursuing it and doing all they can. If I'm the NCAA, though, I'd have a tough time seeing that as a reason. I remember cases in the past where kids were transferring to be closer to sick/dying relatives and waivers weren't granted. If that's not a good enough reason, I find it hard to expect the NCAA grants a waiver for being kicked out. Hope they do though.

When a player voluntarily leaves a program, and goes to another, then you have to sit out a year. I think UM is saying that he didn't leave on his own, he was kicked off, so its a different situation. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they won the appeal.

Advertisement
Actually UF has been nicer to us then we have to them. They let Brock go unconditionally. We let the Robert Marve from Tampa go but not to Florida.

I don't think the Gazs will be doing us any favors because of the Joker Phillips situation last year...

When a player voluntarily leaves a program, and goes to another, then you have to sit out a year. I think UM is saying that he didn't leave on his own, he was kicked off, so its a different situation. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they won the appeal.

I thought this at first BUT then I remembered Dorial Green-Beckham and how he didn't get to play immediately at OU after applying for a waiver. (eventually just entered the draft) He got kicked off the team at Mizzou too. I think this is wishful thinking. No need in getting our hopes up.

BEST case scenario here is that ole boy comes to UM, stays out of trouble, kills it on the scout team, and is ready to play in 2016. (Which I think will be his only year because I think he leaves early to the draft even if he has a decent year. Don't think he stays around too much longer seeing that Standish will be a SR that year. I could be wrong.)

As a Canes fan, I want this guy to play right now, but I think it rewards poor behavior to let him play right away. So all a kid has to do to not sit for a year is act bad and get kicked off his team? I don't think it will fly. Hope I'm wrong.

Advertisement

Players get kicked out of school all the time, and more often then not, they have to sit out a year . I appreciate UM for trying, but if their argument is that he didn't leave on his own, they are going to lose.

Advertisement
Back