Fan Favorite

There’s no reason Dom should have played every inning in his three seasons here, especially in garbage time. Even Yoyo gets pulled. If Gino couldn’t recruit someone to man that position in three years even to just to spell him or get someone reps, that’s another massive failure.

Advertisement
There’s no reason Dom should have played every inning in his three seasons here, especially in garbage time. Even Yoyo gets pulled. If Gino couldn’t recruit someone to man that position in three years even to just to spell him or get someone reps, that’s another massive failure.
Too busy recruiting outfielders to focus on pitchers and another SS.

Other than him being the best defensive ss we've had since... (ever)? It's not like I'm jumping off the 'Gino ain't it' train, but this is a hard criticism to fully grasp. You'd be happier if we put a bricklayer out there to play the last couple innings of a few blowouts and get 15 abs?

The precise goal at short is to find a guy who will play every inning for 3 years and then turn the keys over to the next kid. Hopefully one of the 2 in this next class can play every inning through '26. That wouldn't be a failure.

(full disclosure - I did grow up in a "Cal Ripken is the greatest player of all-time" household, so maybe my thoughts on this topic are a little askew)

I’m not able to watch as much as most of you, so this will go as a half-vote for Dom.

Advertisement
Other than him being the best defensive ss we've had since... (ever)? It's not like I'm jumping off the 'Gino ain't it' train, but this is a hard criticism to fully grasp. You'd be happier if we put a bricklayer out there to play the last couple innings of a few blowouts and get 15 abs?

The precise goal at short is to find a guy who will play every inning for 3 years and then turn the keys over to the next kid. Hopefully one of the 2 in this next class can play every inning through '26. That wouldn't be a failure.

(full disclosure - I did grow up in a "Cal Ripken is the greatest player of all-time" household, so maybe my thoughts on this topic are a little askew)
Then why not play only your starting 9 and never sub? You need to see what other guys can do. You need to reduce wear and tear during a season. Why does Gino sit Yoyo who is much better player in blowouts? My point is if Dom the only one who can field a ground ball in garbage time, Gino screwed up. Imagine if he he actually got hurt.

Last edited:
Then why not play only your starting 9 and never sub? You need to see what other guys can do. You need to reduce wear and tear during a season. Why does Gino sit Yoyo who is much better player in blowouts? My point is it Dom the only one who can field a ground ball in garbage time, Gino screwed up. Imagine if he he actually got hurt.
Why? Might be a "weak" answer, but shortstop is just different. And you don't need to do any of those things. Other than to sate the curiosity/ease the fears of the fan base, I guess.

Torres probably got a few abs throughout the season because Gino knows he's going to be the 3rd baseman next year, but I wouldn't say his 16 abs against the 8th pitcher of the weekend (or the three starts against Presby) were "necessary" to prove anything - and, next year's ss is not yet on the roster.

He didn't get hurt (knocks on wood) and he's obviously not the only one who can field a routine ground ball in the 9th inning of a 10-run game. Somebody had to play short for the green team during fall ball. When you think about it, though, we probably could've just slid Yoyo over, put Torres at 3rd and actually had a better offensive lineup, but who knows? That's a useless red herring and not evidence of any kind of ***** up.

Current CIS Favorite Player voting:
4 Collin Joseph Kayfus
3 Sir Cyr
2 Iron Man Dom
1 Jacoby Long Fan Club
1 G***o
1 Friday Grim Reaper
1 Yoyo
1 The Bat Boy

We’ll leave our entirely unofficial voting open until next weekend
Dom is making a late charge now that he’s joined the 50 RBI club

Advertisement