Family dynamic

Derrick Griffin

Eligibility remaining.
I went to the game last night. First time in a long time I was able to convince all of my brothers and my father to go with me. You see, I’ve been the last hold out to still go to the games and not become a distant fan of the team. The rest of my family diehard-ness has waned for the last 10 years or so. Ever since ND in 17 I’ve been trying to let them see that the atmosphere they didn’t know existed anymore could still be.
By halftime last night I knew I had lost them. A super analytical group was analyzing the **** out of our subpar play and I couldn’t stop them. They were right. They have been right. Even though we won last night a piece of me lost. I know I’m not going to get them all out there again at one time.
I will still be a faithful solider. This is my team, a representation of my home. I just wish that this team could produce an amazing product. B- is a passing grade. It’s not an A though. My family only tolerates A’s. They will question why the 91 isn’t a 96 but they will accept the A. Last night was a B- and it failed my family. So win 10 games, be decent. I’m still here and will be, but my family connection feels gone.

Advertisement
sad bart simpson GIF

I went to the game last night. First time in a long time I was able to convince all of my brothers and my father to go with me. You see, I’ve been the last hold out to still go to the games and not become a distant fan of the team. The rest of my family diehard-ness has waned for the last 10 years or so. Ever since ND in 17 I’ve been trying to let them see that the atmosphere they didn’t know existed anymore could still be.
By halftime last night I knew I had lost them. A super analytical group was analyzing the **** out of our subpar play and I couldn’t stop them. They were right. They have been right. Even though we won last night a piece of me lost. I know I’m not going to get them all out there again at one time.
I will still be a faithful solider. This is my team, a representation of my home. I just wish that this team could produce an amazing product. B- is a passing grade. It’s not an A though. My family only tolerates A’s. They will question why the 91 isn’t a 96 but they will accept the A. Last night was a B- and it failed my family. So win 10 games, be decent. I’m still here and will be, but my family connection feels gone.

I stopped buying season tickets two years ago out of disgust with the direction of the program and I refuse to renew again until Blake is fired.

A client of mine gave me great seats in the lower bowl with a parking pass for free.....and my daughter wanted to go so I gave in.

It was an abysmal experience. Everyone around me was yelling, booing , and chanting for Manny and Lashlee to be fired. We left at halftime and I honestly felt we stayed too long. It's the last game I'm going to until changes happen within the administration.

Advertisement
I use to clear my schedule to attend or watch these guys play. Now, I’m definitely not attending no more games to experience this garbage. Last game I went to was in Texas for LSU and I regret every bit of it. If I catch the game on tv I will watch but I’m usually more tuned into more well coached and physical teams play.

Yeah **** if last night was worthy of a B- grade, either
A. Someone get me enrolled in that class
B. Connect me with his/her plug
C. Both.

Last edited:
I was an avid baseball fan for 30+ years and now with the No Hope Marlins I have virtually lost all interest.

Near the end of the 1st half Bama game, I started to get that same feeling. I have tempered my expectations to keep my interest.

Advertisement
I stopped buying season tickets two years ago out of disgust with the direction of the program and I refuse to renew again until Blake is fired.

A client of mine gave me great seats in the lower bowl with a parking pass for free.....and my daughter wanted to go so I gave in.

It was an abysmal experience. Everyone around me was yelling, booing , and chanting for Manny and Lashlee to be fired. We left at halftime and I honestly felt we stayed too long. It's the last game I'm going to until changes happen within the administration.
I feel you Jedi. I watched on tv till the that running back for app State broke off that long touchdown run on fourth down in the 1st quarter. Then I turned on the motortrend channel and watched roadkill, roadkill garage and roadkill junkyard gold. And it was much more enjoyable going to bed dreaming of building a muscle car then caring about Suntan U. That’s where I am now as a fan, they say it’s a thin line between love and hate, well I’m definitely on the hate side and have been for awhile. I actually hate the university of Miami admin, bot for what they did to this program. Hate!

My father: as die hard of a cane as it gets since 1971 when he moved from New York to Florida and decided to root for canes. Truly doesn’t care anymore. Just is beside himself when watching this program. It started in golden years but now it’s just sad for me to see him not care one bit

Advertisement
That was a B- for you?

You definitely graduated the public school system in the last decade.

Your grading scale is about as accurate as I am trying to **** in the dark at 3am

If you were just a football fan, last nights game was entertaining.

If you're a Cane fan, last night should have been frustrating if not infuriating unless you're a blind homer.

I know App St is a very solid G5 team but our coaching last night in all three phases of the game was abysmal.

I bust Manny's balls for his "Winning is hard" line, but he's not entirely wrong. Just about every team has a nail-biter or two against teams they should handle on paper. But Manny has those games **** near every week unless we're playing Duke or Savannah St. He makes winning look hard with his busted *** gimmicky defense, ineffective blitzes, soft-*** 8 yards off the LOS on 3rd & short coverage week after week after ******* week for six god **** years.

Whatever he had working in 2016-2018 he lost, its gone, figured out, but he keeps doing his thing and blaming it all on the players in the post-game presser.

I don't even want to talk about Lashlee. At least he's not Dan Enos?

Special teams are definitely special. Go Patke.

We may not have the roster to be a top-5 team, but Manny and staff are nowhere close to squeezing every ounce of potential out of the talent we have on the roster. And the talent we don't have, particularly at LB, is on his shoulders. He's been here 6 years. I'm sure he'll have his Dabo moment soon though.

Advertisement
They said the last game with full attendance was the Miami-Louisville game in 2019.

Who would've thought it would be better than this one?

I've been a Cane since 1967. The reality is the fanbase has been apathetic for as long as I can remember. Even before there were 4 pro teams to compete with the OB would only sell out during our heydays in the 80's and 90's when the game "mattered". We even see programs that have ZERO football national championships pack stadiums every weekend when their teams have no shot at even a conference championship.

Here's more reality; we're a small private university about as far south in the Untied States as you can get. WE ARE NOT Tuscaloosa, AL, Athens, GA, Columbus, OH, Clemson, SC where the college football team is the only game in town. We don't have a 30-40,000 student body and never will. We don't have an alumni base with numbers in 6 figures and never will.

I've said it many times - we caught the CFB world by surprise in the early 80's and were able to capitalize on it for about 20 years. We ain't sneaking up on anybody anymore. Until our first NC in 1983, we were an also ran program with a few All Americans here and there. There was talk of eliminating the football program altogether in the mid 70's.

The ONLY way we return to the glory years of the 80's and 90's is if a visionary is hired as the AD and thus hires a transformational head football coach. Unless/until that happens, we will continue to see the results of the last 20 years.

I was an avid baseball fan for 30+ years and now with the No Hope Marlins I have virtually lost all interest.

Near the end of the 1st half Bama game, I started to get that same feeling. I have tempered my expectations to keep my interest.
This is sound. I will always be a Canes fan, but like you have modified my expectations.

Advertisement
Back