Falling apart

Advertisement
FD45950A-AF44-425B-9FD4-D271FA119687.gif

Awesome. I'm sick of the politics and virtue signaling. I watch sports to get away from that insanity.
I do agree going woke has caused to go broke..

..BUT..

Not making ESPN The Ocho a part of basic cable was their downfall. Pocket aces & they folded.

Disney destroyed themselves when it came to the Star Wars franchise. The first film, Force Awakens went off very well and was better received than The Phantom Menace when Lucas relaunched the franchise in 1999. Rogue One was also well received. Both were extremely profitable and the former left a lot of threads and questions unanswered for the rest of the trilogy.

Then Last Jedi. We find out that Lucasfilm had no story arc laid out for its trilogy, and was allowing each director to do what they wanted. And Rian Johnson - with Kennedy's blessing - threw aside the plot points left by Abrams. Made the heroic Luke character a sad, cowering old man. Made a visually gross movie shot through a gray and sepia tint. Wrote the story so as to be the conclusion of a trilogy, not the middle story of one.

The Last Jedi was profitable due to the goodwill generated by the previous two films, but Johnson's film wrecked the franchise. Fan dissatisfaction showed when Solo released five months later and became the first Star Wars movie to be unprofitable. After Collin Treverow was dismissed, Abrams was brought back to attempt to salvage the mess that Johnson left him...and created an even less satisfying story to try to conclude the trilogy. Shot almost entirely through a green filter, it too was visually gross and was filled with such dialogue gems like "Somehow...Palpatine returned".

Disney had anticipated one Star Wars movie a year, generating heavy profits and driving fans to the Star Wars lands at their parks. Instead, we have not had a Star Wars film in four years, and won't until at least 2025.
Phantom Menace was much better than Force Awakens. It gets a bad rap because of Jar Jar and the excessive CGI. Plus the kid was cast wrong. But the story arc and how it tied into the original trilogy was terrific but the casual fan wont appreciate that. Force Awakens was a ****** ripoff of A New Hope.

Rian Johnson should be banned from Hollywood for what he did. Him and Kennedy botched that so bad. I havent seen someone crash a Ferrari like that since Larry Coker.

Phantom Menace was much better than Force Awakens. It gets a bad rap because of Jar Jar and the excessive CGI. Plus the kid was cast wrong. But the story arc and how it tied into the original trilogy was terrific but the casual fan wont appreciate that. Force Awakens was a ****** ripoff of A New Hope.

Rian Johnson should be banned from Hollywood for what he did. Him and Kennedy botched that so bad. I havent seen someone crash a Ferrari like that since Larry Coker.
I think in the public perception Force Awakens was better received. Phantom Menaces took more chances, which was fitting as it was setting up a trilogy. I did like a lot of the threads that Abrams set up in Awakens. It's cinematic malpractice that Johnson decided to do what he did. It was self-indulgent to deviate that much in the middle of a story and essentially end it. But I don't blame him fully. It was Lucasfilm leadership that signed off on such a radical departure from what came before.

Although on the cinematography - a pet peeve of mine as I studied film at Miami - I blame them all. I can't stand what Disney did post Force Awakens, embracing the blandest possible color scheme and desaturating the films. It's literally a driver to why the films were such a flop in China - audiences there expected vibrant, colorful films and Disney delivered them The Road.

George Lucas Star Wars, largely vibrant colors:

1690122986262.png

1690122482417.png

1690122496664.png
1690122936220.png
1690122949193.png

1690122535689.png

1690122568175.png
1690123019463.png

Disney Star Wars after Force Awakens, when the muted color palette was installed:

1690122663578.png

1690122624709.png

1690122683766.png

1690122700283.png
1690123085846.png

1690123143901.png

1690122788496.png

1690122808056.png

1690122849453.png

1690122877045.png

Attachments

• 1690123113899.png
    1690123113899.png
    508.9 KB · Views: 1
Advertisement
I think in the public perception Force Awakens was better received. Phantom Menaces took more chances, which was fitting as it was setting up a trilogy. I did like a lot of the threads that Abrams set up in Awakens. It's cinematic malpractice that Johnson decided to do what he did. It was self-indulgent to deviate that much in the middle of a story and essentially end it. But I don't blame him fully. It was Lucasfilm leadership that signed off on such a radical departure from what came before.

Although on the cinematography - a pet peeve of mine as I studied film at Miami - I blame them all. I can't stand what Disney did post Force Awakens, embracing the blandest possible color scheme and desaturating the films. It's literally a driver to why the films were such a flop in China - audiences there expected vibrant, colorful films and Disney delivered them The Road.

George Lucas Star Wars, largely vibrant colors:

View attachment 247768

View attachment 247754
View attachment 247755View attachment 247766View attachment 247767
View attachment 247756
View attachment 247757View attachment 247769

Disney Star Wars after Force Awakens, when the muted color palette was installed:

View attachment 247759

View attachment 247758
View attachment 247760
View attachment 247761View attachment 247770

View attachment 247775

View attachment 247762
View attachment 247763
View attachment 247764
View attachment 247765

Absolutely. Lot of blame to go around. JJ tried to save it but wasnt left much. That Snoke storyline was garbage. But Rise of Skywalker went way too cheezy. Just an awful trilogy. There is an endless amount of possibilities with the universe Lucas created and Disney royally ****ed it up.

Terrific take and so true about the color. RoS was the worst. So incredibly bland.

Theyve been better since. Im glad they made Kenobi. Andor really surprised me. I thought that was terrific. Love Mandalorian although this season got away from them a little.

I'm glad at least some people notice this and are annoyed by it. For me, it's not so much the desaturation of real colors but the hideous false colors that stain almost every movie produced in recent years. Not just movies, but broadcast and streaming TV has been infested as well. The main culprit is the orange and teal look. People get turned orange, and everything else has a light blue cast over it. All the other colors are just gone.

If it's not that, it's the desaturated golden brown or cold gray/blue. Combine that with making 60% of a movie overly dark, turning music and sound effects to 100% volume and dialogue to 20%, and it becomes entirely unappealing. I end up avoiding much of it for the simple reason that I don't want to stare at that ugly world for 2 hours.

I'm glad at least some people notice this and are annoyed by it. For me, it's not so much the desaturation of real colors but the hideous false colors that stain almost every movie produced in recent years. Not just movies, but broadcast and streaming TV has been infested as well. The main culprit is the orange and teal look. People get turned orange, and everything else has a light blue cast over it. All the other colors are just gone.

If it's not that, it's the desaturated golden brown or cold gray/blue. Combine that with making 60% of a movie overly dark, turning music and sound effects to 100% volume and dialogue to 20%, and it becomes entirely unappealing. I end up avoiding much of it for the simple reason that I don't want to stare at that ugly world for 2 hours.
I can't stand it. Michael Bay introduced the orange and teal trend in 2007 with his Transformers movie - here's an example below for those who have not seen it:

1690204769094.png

The color grading / color desaturation is really jarring when you see a film done in before 2004-2007 and ones done afterwards. Here's a few examples of franchises that had films in both periods:

Harry Potter
1690204856499.png

1690204895803.png

Superman
1690205024215.png

1690204999029.png

Independence Day
1690205108652.png

1690205120134.png

I can't stand it. Michael Bay introduced the orange and teal trend in 2007 with his Transformers movie - here's an example below for those who have not seen it:

The color grading / color desaturation is really jarring when you see a film done in before 2004-2007 and ones done afterwards. Here's a few examples of franchises that had films in both periods:
I don't know what to make of it. It's almost like some form of visual propaganda. Just as digital photography and videography and display technology reached a point where you can capture and show sharp vivid realistic color on large screens, everything shoved at us is degraded and ugly like a product of inferior technology. It's ridiculous that stuff from the 70s looks more advanced. I hope football broadcasts aren't the next thing to be wrecked.

Advertisement
I don't know what to make of it. It's almost like some form of visual propaganda. Just as digital photography and videography and display technology reached a point where you can capture and show sharp vivid realistic color on large screens, everything shoved at us is degraded and ugly like a product of inferior technology. It's ridiculous that stuff from the 70s looks more advanced. I hope football broadcasts aren't the next thing to be wrecked.
No, I think that this is an artistic choice that various directors and cinematographers have talked themselves into. Directors have wanted their movies to reflect the mood of the particular scene. When I took film at Miami, we were taught about DW Griffith fused different tinting on the film to reflect emotions. It's been around for over a century. However, following the transition from film to digital, filmmakers have many more tools in their box to achieve this goal.

A couple of factors are in play.

One is technical to an extent. The more color manipulation is in play in post, the more detail is lost. That can leave the films looking less crisp than Star Trek the Motion Picture, which received an excellent transfer to 4K recently.

The second is what I mentioned above. Directors and even studios want individual scenes to reflect emotion (and there's an equally important trend to use natural lighting wherever possible, which is why Walking Dead, Game of Thrones final season, and House of the Dragon looked so dark). In self-indulgent fashion, everything becomes a bleak hellscape of grey, green, or muddy yellow.

If we ever come out of this period, this segment of film history is going to be looked upon as kind of a lost decade or so. Kind of like television news coverage. You can do 4K scans of old newsreel footage up to the 1970s and it can look absolutely lifelike. Beginning in the early 2000s, news coverage switched to HD video. That will like fine in the future as well. But in the 1980s and 1990s, everything was shot on video tape. It's far harder to upscale VHS or professional tape; the detail is simply not there in the source material, unlike in film.

No, I think that this is an artistic choice that various directors and cinematographers have talked themselves into. Directors have wanted their movies to reflect the mood of the particular scene. When I took film at Miami, we were taught about DW Griffith fused different tinting on the film to reflect emotions. It's been around for over a century. However, following the transition from film to digital, filmmakers have many more tools in their box to achieve this goal.

A couple of factors are in play.

One is technical to an extent. The more color manipulation is in play in post, the more detail is lost. That can leave the films looking less crisp than Star Trek the Motion Picture, which received an excellent transfer to 4K recently.

The second is what I mentioned above. Directors and even studios want individual scenes to reflect emotion (and there's an equally important trend to use natural lighting wherever possible, which is why Walking Dead, Game of Thrones final season, and House of the Dragon looked so dark). In self-indulgent fashion, everything becomes a bleak hellscape of grey, green, or muddy yellow.

If we ever come out of this period, this segment of film history is going to be looked upon as kind of a lost decade or so. Kind of like television news coverage. You can do 4K scans of old newsreel footage up to the 1970s and it can look absolutely lifelike. Beginning in the early 2000s, news coverage switched to HD video. That will like fine in the future as well. But in the 1980s and 1990s, everything was shot on video tape. It's far harder to upscale VHS or professional tape; the detail is simply not there in the source material, unlike in film.
When was the last original "fun" movie? Something that you just enjoyed and had actual comedy in it.

Everything is a franchise or comic book now.

A couple of factors are in play. One is technical to an extent. The more color manipulation is in play in post, the more detail is lost. That can leave the films looking less crisp than Star Trek the Motion Picture, which received an excellent transfer to 4K recently.

Well, whatever their motivation, I think these are terrible decisions. I didn't really understand the reasons behind it being difficult to easily produce proper imagery from the "log format" that's mentioned in the article. I'm not familiar with the kind of cameras they use, but even normal current consumer cameras like a Canon R5, Sony A7 or Nikon Z6 can produce digital video with brilliant realistic color and good resolution. I assume log is something like RAW is for photos. But for that, it's just a matter of applying whatever color profile you choose. There's no reason for it to stay flat.

It's not that I don't understand the value of using visual imagery to create moods for different circumstances. But something that works for a bleak dystopian fantasy world does not work for everything. In fact, it works for very little.

Well, whatever their motivation, I think these are terrible decisions. I didn't really understand the reasons behind it being difficult to easily produce proper imagery from the "log format" that's mentioned in the article. I'm not familiar with the kind of cameras they use, but even normal current consumer cameras like a Canon R5, Sony A7 or Nikon Z6 can produce digital video with brilliant realistic color and good resolution. I assume log is something like RAW is for photos. But for that, it's just a matter of applying whatever color profile you choose. There's no reason for it to stay flat.

It's not that I don't understand the value of using visual imagery to create moods for different circumstances. But something that works for a bleak dystopian fantasy world does not work for everything. In fact, it works for very little.
I tend to suspect more often than not that it reflects the personal mood of the filmmakers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back